Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Size is great but I agree it does look a little too green in the photo - these things don't always reflect reality though with some colours becoming stronger or weaker in the processing. I wouldn't worry about it being too vivid though, since everything fades a bit with time and dirt and dust, especially with the U-V qualities we possess in Australia!

Overall it looks great, Peter. I think we are all being super-critical because your layout skills are so good in the first place.

Looks great and I don't think it is too big but maybe a tad to green.

Thanks mate, I think you are right though the picture isn't really doing it any favours. I might retake the pics on a different setting.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, it looks just like the one I can see from here outside the window. Size and colour spot on mate.

Merf.

Thanks Merf, if you are happy with it then thats good enough for me.

Cheers Peter.

Pete

Looks great to me, possibly the green is a tad bright compared to the greenery around it but I'm sure a layer of dust over time and you won't notice it! You could mist over it with a Matt black or dark grey perhaps to take the edge off.

Hi Ian,

Thanks mate, yes I think once a bit dust settles and it fades a bit I think it will be fine. If it still bugs me after a while I might try your idea, I have some dark brown spray. I am not going to glue the tree down just yet as it seems to be sitting in it's hole ok.

Cheers Peter.

Trees are often modelled looking too small but there's no problem with the size of this one for its location. Some fully grown species can be 70ft+ tall...the same height as a Class 40 standing on its nose!

I use Woodland Scenics FC57 Foliage Clusters for the bulk of my trees. They're then sometimes sprayed with dilute PVA glue and sprinkled with lighter greens for contrast. If you think it's too green, spray with glue and use T60 Coarse Turf or T44 Burnt Grass to tone down the colour. However, I must say that I've found it a lot easier making trees in N Gauge than 4mm.

Very impressed with the photo backscene which you've blended in very well...also the work you've been doing on the stabling point, especially the concrete surfaces.

Thanks,

I have used the foliage clusters but didn't have much luck useing them on trees. I think I have some T60 so might try that on another tree. I think I will leave the big one alone for now I don't want to stuff it up. I think your trees look great, working in N gauge definetly has its advantages.

Cheers Peter.

Size is great but I agree it does look a little too green in the photo - these things don't always reflect reality though with some colours becoming stronger or weaker in the processing. I wouldn't worry about it being too vivid though, since everything fades a bit with time and dirt and dust, especially with the U-V qualities we possess in Australia!

Overall it looks great, Peter. I think we are all being super-critical because your layout skills are so good in the first place.

Thanks Jeff,

I think you are right there Jeff the pic isn't the best, and as you say it will fade over time.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, I think the tree needs some colour fading as Jeff has mentioned. The greens will need to grey off over time a little fading may be and it will probably settle down and become what you expect to see. I think the one thing that is difficult to achieve is the high lights/ low lights in the folliage in the tree. I think if you tried to achieve this with the use of other flock and hair spray it might give the variation in colours. I would avoid using the same colours from the same range... try one of the others Ie Woodland scenics vs Hornby vs Heki etc

Peter, I think the tree needs some colour fading as Jeff has mentioned. The greens will need to grey off over time a little fading may be and it will probably settle down and become what you expect to see. I think the one thing that is difficult to achieve is the high lights/ low lights in the folliage in the tree. I think if you tried to achieve this with the use of other flock and hair spray it might give the variation in colours. I would avoid using the same colours from the same range... try one of the others Ie Woodland scenics vs Hornby vs Heki etc

Thanks Doug,

I have had another go at the tree tonight and added some darker green flock which has toned it down a bit, and I am alot happier with the tree now. I am not sure it shows up in the picture that well though.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-57972400-1338557002_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-28438800-1338557053_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Peter,

Very impressive as usual. I like the tree you have made I think it looks very much like many I see on my travels in Scotland especially this time of year with lots of vivid greens helped by the rain and sunny spells. You don't often see big trees modelled on layouts but they do add to the scene. I like the shot of the old cars and you probably guessed I too like the shot with the class 31 with the tree behind. What's that scene missing? Just the engine rattle whilst idling and the plumes of exhaust! Fantastic modelling

Mark

You can 'knock back' the greenness usuing a can of spry, I use any number of buff colours etc from Halfords or wherever.

Just a light spray (even grey/red primer) works.

Less IS more! :)

Thanks, I did give the tree a very light mist of dark brown which seems to have helped things, it doesn't really show in the pic so I mat do a touch more.

Cheers Peter.

Peter I would say that it is right now!

Thanks Doug, we went up to Healesville this weekend and stayed with a mate who is a landscaper, I showed him a pic of the tree and he thought it was pretty good, and he knows his trees.

Ceers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Very impressive as usual. I like the tree you have made I think it looks very much like many I see on my travels in Scotland especially this time of year with lots of vivid greens helped by the rain and sunny spells. You don't often see big trees modelled on layouts but they do add to the scene. I like the shot of the old cars and you probably guessed I too like the shot with the class 31 with the tree behind. What's that scene missing? Just the engine rattle whilst idling and the plumes of exhaust! Fantastic modelling

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Glad to hear you are getting some nice weather over there. it's raining here at the moment though it was a nice weekend.

The class 31 would look pretty cool with some exhaust but I don't have a clue how to photoshop. I do have a sound fitted one waiting to be done though.

Cheers Peter.

Nice tree bruv..size looks ok ..greens ok maybe add some darker stuff, now you need to make some more...

Thanks Mate,

I have toned the tree down a bit with a bit of spray, looks heaps better.

Thanks to everyone for your help on this one.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-47085300-1339668655_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-10043500-1339668706_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 11

Thanks Guys,

I am much happier with it now, Ian I just used a dark brown cheapo can from the 2 Dollar shop I held the tree at arms length and sprayed the back and underside, just a few short squirts then one small squirt to the front.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

As Rick mentioned on his Penhale Bay layout thread ( a top layout if you haven't dropped in and had a look) the state of Victoria had a 5.3 Earthquake Tuesday night. I was out in the garage sat at my workbench when I heard a low rumble then 30 seconds of slight rocking and it was over.

Anyway as far as I can see there has been no damage.

I didn't feel like doing much out there tonight so I took a few pics as it's been a while.

I really need to clean the track and have a running session but I think I will wait for some warmer weather.

So first up 47613 arrives on shed with 45111.

08472 is in the yard on some VGA's.

A while later 45111 leaves the shed and picks up some ZDA 'Bass' wagons.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-17093100-1340285903_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-90804900-1340285929_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-58109200-1340285994_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-83419100-1340286044_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-63040900-1340286103_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Quite superb Peter! That first photo is so convincing I thought the railway worker going down the track was real!

First glance at Llanbourne for a couple of weeks. Great to see some Peaks in action!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Always good to catch up with Llanbourne, Peter, and thanks also for the cross-promotion of my own work. It seems we all escaped very lightly on Tuesday as little damage has been reported anywhere from our earthquake. We certainly felt it here as several bits and pieces jumped off shelves and fell from cupboards but without significant damage.

Quite superb Peter! That first photo is so convincing I thought the railway worker going down the track was real!

First glance at Llanbourne for a couple of weeks. Great to see some Peaks in action!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

No shortage of Peaks here. I am enjoying watching your progress too.

Cheers Peter.

Always good to catch up with Llanbourne, Peter, and thanks also for the cross-promotion of my own work. It seems we all escaped very lightly on Tuesday as little damage has been reported anywhere from our earthquake. We certainly felt it here as several bits and pieces jumped off shelves and fell from cupboards but without significant damage.

No worries Rick,

Always happy to promote a good product. :imsohappy: It sounds like you had more of a shake than we did, and we are only 30 minutes away.

Cheers Peter.

Talking of promotion a good friend of mine John Dedman has another book out, and once again my brother and myself have had a few of our pictures selected. If you liked the others in the series then this one shouldn't disappoint.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-71808600-1340366912_thumb.jpg

• Like 4