Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Thanks Guys,

I have just been out in the garage and the extra work to run just a few extra loco's doesn't seem worth it. Llanbourne just wouldn't be North Wales with OHL. I like the feel of what I have done so far and I like my Semaphores too much to remove them. If I want to run electrics I will just have to build another layout, but that will be after my Scottish exhibition layout.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Im in the same boat re the 85, it looks fantastic and i want one as it was one of my favorite classes, but ive got no need for it on a layout set in Nottinghamshire. such a shame as its a great model.

• RMweb Gold

You can mix semaphore and OHLE - Frinton on Sea - and this is quite recent:

Ok, it's not traditionally positioned but it allows you to apply 'It's my railway' and still have a grounding in reality.

Position is fine for the signal, it's the railway thats a couple of hundred miles away in location - and practice.

Very poor captioning on the RalwayCentre photo.

the doomed down home starter No. F4

Position is fine for the signal, it's the railway thats a couple of hundred miles away in location - and practice.

I just meant the arm was positioned lower perhaps than normal, I suppose that would avoid an chance of arching in wet weather.

Well it's nice to know there is a

If you want OHL you could always move the location to somewhere nearer the English border. The joys of a fictional location is you can make the history yourself

Thanks, It's a good idea but Llanbourne will stay where it is for now changing location at this stage would throw a real spanner in the works. North Wales still really works for me and I already have a great variety of locos and stock that I can run. Going OHL is just being greedy and I don't think it will look at all right with the other stock I run.

There is nothing stopping me buying a class 85 at some point but I have plenty of other locos to do before I would get around to it. I already have enough locos sat in boxes waiting for me to do. Plus Heljans 128 is due out soon and I want one of them,

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Im in the same boat re the 85, it looks fantastic and i want one as it was one of my favorite classes, but ive got no need for it on a layout set in Nottinghamshire. such a shame as its a great model.

As I said I think I will get one a some point, I might be just the excuse I need to build a small shunting plank, something I can take outside to take pics of locos and stock in natural light. I quite fancy having a go at building some track too one day.

Cheers Peter.

You can mix semaphore and OHLE - Frinton on Sea - and this is quite recent:

http://www.therailwa...OD_Apr2009.html

http://www.flickr.co...rgie/474293544/

Ok, it's not traditionally positioned but it allows you to apply 'It's my railway' and still have a grounding in reality.

Well I wouldn't have belived it if I hadn't seen it. Thanks for finding the pic, something to store in the memory thats for sure.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Well I wouldn't have belived it if I hadn't seen it. Thanks for finding the pic, something to store in the memory thats for sure.

Cheers Peter.

Not uncommon, a lesser known example was that understated railway - The Woodhead (in places)

Not uncommon, a lesser known example was that understated railway - The Woodhead (in places)

I never got to see the woodhead when it was running, but have seen plenty of pics and video. A very interesting line, I think with the new Heljan class 76 in the shops we might see a few more layout of this route.

I have been drawing track plans for a small shunty plank with some overhead. :locomotive: Llanbourne will be staying as is.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Quite agree with you for keeping Lanbourne the way it is without adding OHLE. I am getting a blue 85 as a late birthday present from the wife as nothing was out at the time as it looks a cracking model and who says you can't stick it in behind a 47 for a run to the coast! Now that would look good on your layout!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

You might be right that Llanbourne wouldn't look quite right with 1960s WCML OHLE and the current motive power stock - but if you were to think of an imaginary town somewhere near to Guide Bridge or to promote the status of Glossop as a town then I could see Llanbourne re-christened with 1500 DC OHLE and not have any of the current stock look out of place.

Edited by woodenhead

Hi Peter,

Quite agree with you for keeping Lanbourne the way it is without adding OHLE. I am getting a blue 85 as a late birthday present from the wife as nothing was out at the time as it looks a cracking model and who says you can't stick it in behind a 47 for a run to the coast! Now that would look good on your layout!

All the best,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Yes I might get one later on but there is other stuff I need first. I am quite happy with my stunting plank idea which will give me a goood excuse to get one and maybe a class 86 too. ;) I have been wanting to have a go at building a point or two and useing some finscale track so this would be a good little practise run for another layout I want to do once Llanbourne is (nearly) finished.

Cheers Peter.

You might be right that Llanbourne wouldn't look quite right with 1960s WCML OHLE and the current motive power stock - but if you were to think of an imaginary town somewhere near to Guide Bridge or to promote the status of Glossop as a town then I could see Llanbourne re-christened with 1500 DC OHLE and not have any of the current stock look out of place.

I like your thinking, though it's not going to happen, as Llanbourne stands at the moment. I like the Guide Bridge Manchester area idea though. I could still run a class 33 as they did get up to Man Pic on Cardiff trains.

Cheers Peter.

Pete it would be interesting to see what people on the exhibition circuit would think of another British shunting plank, especially to your standard of modelling.

OHLE would be a challange and finger singe'íng fun.

Pete it would be interesting to see what people on the exhibition circuit would think of another British shunting plank, especially to your standard of modelling.

OHLE would be a challange and finger singe'íng fun.

Thanks Doug,

I think your young bloke will probably have left school by the time its finshed though. lol

Cheers Peter.

Yeah that would be right and he will want to run his sound 25 on the layout! ....then again he will probably be chasing girls! (or chased by them! seems to have to beat them off with a stick at the moment and he is only 8 :O )

Yeah that would be right and he will want to run his sound 25 on the layout! ....then again he will probably be chasing girls! (or chased by them! seems to have to beat them off with a stick at the moment and he is only 8 :O )

Hi Doug,

I am sure once he gets bored of girls he will be back wanting to run his class 25.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Pete

Looks great to me, possibly the green is a tad bright compared to the greenery around it but I'm sure a layer of dust over time and you won't notice it! You could mist over it with a Matt black or dark grey perhaps to take the edge off.

Trees are often modelled looking too small but there's no problem with the size of this one for its location. Some fully grown species can be 70ft+ tall...the same height as a Class 40 standing on its nose!

I use Woodland Scenics FC57 Foliage Clusters for the bulk of my trees. They're then sometimes sprayed with dilute PVA glue and sprinkled with lighter greens for contrast. If you think it's too green, spray with glue and use T60 Coarse Turf or T44 Burnt Grass to tone down the colour. However, I must say that I've found it a lot easier making trees in N Gauge than 4mm.

Very impressed with the photo backscene which you've blended in very well...also the work you've been doing on the stabling point, especially the concrete surfaces.