Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

Cracking progress :sungum: that extension looks fantastic nice long sweeping curve :senile:

Look forward to further updates on this masterpiece.

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Daz,

I am really happy with the extension, it does look good with trains streching their legs on a bit of mainline. Not sure about cracking progress though, I have been pretty slack so far this year.

I am planning to get a few buildings done this year and I haven't made a very good start. I was feeling a bit quilty about running trains the other day but hey at the end of the day thats what I am building it for.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jeff,

The tunnels are I think Peco, not sure if you can still get them though. I have had these for years.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter. If they are Peco I'm sure they will still be available. I think Peco produce products from the land where time stood still (many of them are excellent)!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
I think Peco produce products from the land where time stood still

Knowing the village of Beer rather well, which is home to Peco, I would have to agree with that sentiment!

Hi Pete

I've briefly left the talk of Class 45 withdrawal dates behind and come for another look at Llanbourne. I've started slowly working my way through 58 pages (elecronically) picking your brains for modelling techniques and the sorce of many of the fittings and detailing items you use...signals, point rodding, station lighting, vehicles etc etc. I know I'll miss certain things so I'm sure there'll be a few questions coming your way over the next few months!. I've been out of OO modelling since the late 90s and it's amazing how things have moved on. I'm going to have a lot of catching up to do.

Many thanks for the offer of spares...I did have tons of bits and pieces for Lima and Hornby motors but I've sold/given away so much over the last couple of years. I know I'm going to regret how much I've let go. I'll let you know what happens when I start testing those old locos.

For now, keep up the inspirational work on Llanbourne. :good_mini:

Hi Pete

I've briefly left the talk of Class 45 withdrawal dates behind and come for another look at Llanbourne. I've started slowly working my way through 58 pages (elecronically) picking your brains for modelling techniques and the sorce of many of the fittings and detailing items you use...signals, point rodding, station lighting, vehicles etc etc. I know I'll miss certain things so I'm sure there'll be a few questions coming your way over the next few months!. I've been out of OO modelling since the late 90s and it's amazing how things have moved on. I'm going to have a lot of catching up to do.

Many thanks for the offer of spares...I did have tons of bits and pieces for Lima and Hornby motors but I've sold/given away so much over the last couple of years. I know I'm going to regret how much I've let go. I'll let you know what happens when I start testing those old locos.

For now, keep up the inspirational work on Llanbourne. :good_mini:

Well if you do have any questions ask away though I am sure your new layout will look superb if your Settle-Carlisle layout is anything to go by.

Now back to Peaks, and 45036. We only talked about this loco the other day and suprise suprise a tatty 45036 turned up on a special yesterday.

Here is 45036 with only a few months left in service on the 1Z68 Manchester- Llanbourne.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-25579500-1332070334_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-44661900-1332070356_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Now back to Peaks...

Ha, a couple of Wagons and a Duff eh Peter? :sarcastichand: That window down with the drivers arm resting on the sill is a great bit of detailing.

Llanbourne looking great as always.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills

I had the time to do it for 30 years, lucky me! PCM's layout brings a lot of it to life again.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, there. Not only does this layout have atmosphere, it also has life. It suggests a living, breathing railway with a living, breathing population operating it.

As always, keep up the good work, Peter. :)

Hi Peter,

I like the latest photos and the extension with those sweeping curves is really coming along very nicely. Plenty of sidings to fill with stock!

It's true about Peco products. I had a double track tunnel mouth just like that one on my layout as a teenager, which must be over 30 years ago now. It's now in use once again on my daughter's layout. It does look the part though I think, even after all these years, so I guess there's no reason to change it.

Cheers,

Dave

Ha, a couple of Wagons and a Duff eh Peter? :sarcastichand: That window down with the drivers arm resting on the sill is a great bit of detailing.

Llanbourne looking great as always.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee,

You mean two of the finest loco's ever built :blum: and yes a Duff we used to call'em Spoons as well. I wasn't really a class 47 fan until I worked on the railway and had a few rides in them, i realised they were a pretty good machine and there wasn't anything they couldn't pull.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Great photos as always nice viewpoint down the layout like that with a long train coming in.

Thanks for sharing

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I need to stop playing trains and get on with the layout, the weather is going to be cooler this week so I might get out there.

Cheers Peter.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, there. Not only does this layout have atmosphere, it also has life. It suggests a living, breathing railway with a living, breathing population operating it.

As always, keep up the good work, Peter. :)

Thanks Jeff,

I think there are a couple of things that have helped me out there. One would be people like Larry who were out taking photo's during that period. I was out a bit during this time so my pics are useful too, and having seen, heard and smel,t for example a class 33 storm past on a rake of MK1s is something you are not likely to forget. I think having worked on the railway helps too as you get an idea for how the real railway runs.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I like the latest photos and the extension with those sweeping curves is really coming along very nicely. Plenty of sidings to fill with stock!

It's true about Peco products. I had a double track tunnel mouth just like that one on my layout as a teenager, which must be over 30 years ago now. It's now in use once again on my daughter's layout. It does look the part though I think, even after all these years, so I guess there's no reason to change it.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am happy with the new bit though this year I am concentrating on finishing the station area though I haven't done much recently. The tunnel mouth on the new bit will probably not be used it's just sat there to give me an idea where the senic break is going to be.

Cheers Peter.

You mean two of the finest loco's ever built :blum: and yes a Duff we used to call'em Spoons as well. I wasn't really a class 47 fan until I worked on the railway and had a few rides in them, i realised they were a pretty good machine and there wasn't anything they couldn't pull.

Hi Peter,

I really miss the BR Blue days and despite not being a fan of the Peaks & Spoons (which were plentyful around Yorkshire) its amazing how easy it was to take all those for granted and now they've gone (well almost).

Keep up the good work with Llanbourne and looking forward to seeing more developments soon. It would be nice if you could show us a blow-by-blow account of how you do your track-side weathering as it is just superb.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Peter,

Nice photos of 45036. She's a busy loco at present, also working regularly on the 9 00 Leeds-Carlisle and return.!

Class 45/0 haulage at Llanbourne in 1986..surely that first carriage would have every window open with the heads and arms of a couple of dozen "Peak bashers" hanging out..!

A quick question -.buffer beam details, pipe work etc. Is it scratch built or is there a firm providing detailing kits for this these days? The new OO layout will have everything fitted with Kaydee's so I'll need to pay more attention to these details.

Edited by 60091

Hi Peter,

I really miss the BR Blue days and despite not being a fan of the Peaks & Spoons (which were plentyful around Yorkshire) its amazing how easy it was to take all those for granted and now they've gone (well almost).

Keep up the good work with Llanbourne and looking forward to seeing more developments soon. It would be nice if you could show us a blow-by-blow account of how you do your track-side weathering as it is just superb.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

Yes I enjoyed the BR blue days I just wish I had gone out more and taken more pics but then I didn't have much money back then ( funny that still don't) and drinking beer at the pub won too often. Just imagine if you could have had a digital camera back in the 80s.

Re the trackside weathering do you mean the ballast area or the green stuff? I think what you have done so fer looks pretty bloody good and you are woring in a smaller scale.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

If it is of any help, a few more pictures added to my flickr site. Class37 and some 47s mainly in North Wales and late 1980s.

More 47s to follow.

Merf.

Hi Merf,

Oh yes, had a quick look last night, I did like 37519 in red stripe liv on test, very tempting. Nice selection of 47s too. keep them coming.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Nice photos of 45036. She's a busy loco at present, also working regularly on the 9 00 Leeds-Carlisle and return.!

Class 45/0 haulage at Llanbourne in 1986..surely that first carriage would have every window open with the heads and arms of a couple of dozen "Peak bashers" hanging out..!

A quick question -.buffer beam details, pipe work etc. Is it scratch built or is there a firm providing detailing kits for this these days? The new OO layout will have everything fitted with Kaydee's so I'll need to pay more attention to these details.

Nice to hear 45036 is being keeped busy on passenger work. Their were some members of the Peak Army seen in the front coach along with some other bashers.

Buffer beam pipework on the Peak is Shawplan they do packets of air, main res and vac pipes. My Bachmann 37 and 47s have the ones that come with the loco as do my Heljan class 33s and Hornby 08 and class 31. You can buy the Hornby detail packs from Hornbyspares I think. They are quite good. I have pipework and Kadee's both ends of my loco's and there is an article in MI 2 on how I do this with a few pics.

Cheers Peter.

I was getting a few things ready to sell on Ebay the other day one loco needed a bit of weathering and while I had the paint out I weathered up an old Bachmann Standard 4.

It has been sat under the layout for ages, but now its done I think I might just keep it. I put it on the layout and took a few pics then paired it up with my old 4F, apart from the Blue grey coach it made me think of the S&D, which I was first introduced too when I was about 14. I was given the chance to operate an S&D layout at an exhibition. I think the thing that really grabbed me was I was allowed to double head trains and running an old 9f on a rake of Lima Maroon MK1s made my day. The owner of the layout lent me some books on the S&D and not long after that I had my own OPC Ivo Peters S&D book.

I think now that Bachmann have announced a 4f I think we might see a few more S&D based layouts though they have always been popular. A new 2P is all thats needed to complete the set.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-31142600-1332501626_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-62683000-1332501658_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Both very nice Peter and with a subtle touch of understatement in "while I had the paints out". I'd be reluctant to part with them if that was my handiwork. For my sins I managed to weather up a rat last weekend which hasn't come up too badly. See the layout thread.

Both very nice Peter and with a subtle touch of understatement in "while I had the paints out". I'd be reluctant to part with them if that was my handiwork. For my sins I managed to weather up a rat last weekend which hasn't come up too badly. See the layout thread.

Thanks Rick,

Honest the standard only took about ten minutes though the chassis was already done.

I did see your Rat, it looks pretty good. Maybe a touch too much on the yellow ends.

Cheers Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Just thought I'd drop by and catch up on your latest exploits. No sooner had I settled down when I was alarmed by the sight of those strange barrel-like black machines in your last shots. You're not being tempted by the dark side, I hope?

Did I see in this month's Traction magazine that there's going to be an article on Llanbourne in next month's edition? I certainly hope so. Congratulations if so!

Cheers,

Dave

PS Very nice weathering on those steamies by the way!

Thanks Dave,

Don't worry, the steamers won't be taking over. I do have a soft spot for things S&D but I don't have time or funds to do steam and diesel. The 4f and Standard will sit in a display cabinet. I actually have another old Mainline Standard 4 partly weathered too it was the first tender loco I got as a kid. The plan was to weather up a few bits and peices to put on ebay an old split box Peak and a Maroon Western are pretty much ready to go.

As for the layout I have been working on the backscene and have made up a couple of wharehouses to sit along the back, though I need to paint them yet.

I was asked by the boys on the BRblue forum if I could do an article for Traction, the last layout 'Slightly' was by another member of the forum and Llanbourne is due to be in the next issue, though I haven't seen the finished article yet. st admit I am quite looking forwards to seeing Llanbourne in print.

Cheers Peter.