Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Happy New Year Peter - if you move the decimal point to the left of some of those temp readings to something around the 3 mark you'll have our current scottish temperature! No frozen points so trains are still running at Rannoch!

Nice photos as always,

All the best,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I imagine it is quite cold over there at the moment, it's a lot cooler here today only mid 20s. Glad to here it's not so cold that you can't play trains. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

A Very Happy New Year to you and yours, Peter.

Like the latest shots, especially the weathering on the 25.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Hope you had a good one, and are feeling at home in your new house.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken,

Re our chat on the gallery page, I have finally taken a few pics of 25109s ploughs. As you guessed they are Heljan ploughs which I have cut a slot into, which is just big enough to fit a NEM type Kadee, 18 or 19 will do. As you may be able to see from the pic I have pushed the Kadee through and glued in a piece of platicard to hold the kadee inplace I found a small screw to help hold the thing together, though I have done a Heljan class 33 the same way but not used a screw. I just glued platicard either side or the coupler behind the centre plough which seems to be enough to hold it in place.

Hope this helps, if you need more info let me know.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-13312100-1326877704_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-24313600-1326877736_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Just a quick update, I haven't done much recently but have managed to do a bit to my terrace houses, I have added the gutters and have almost finished making the windows. I have used a door from a Scalescenes kit but I don't think it looks right so I might have a go at making some from plasticard. I still need to do the downpipes, anyone know what diameter they should be for 4mm? About 1mm ?

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-55911200-1327050512_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

D200 is about to depart with the 1K38 to Stoke, 47535 is ticking over in the middle road.

The 1K38 was booked for a class 47/4, but during the summer of 1986 D200 worked the train a number of times.

Cheers Peter.

Great pic of D200 whistling away. Keep 'em coming Peter.

Breakfast in the buffet on the 6am off Queen Street is now a distant memory :(

Gwiwer, approx which year was that? - I can only remember that as the 0550 or 0555 1S07 to Fort Bill... with ETHEL in tow. Would have been even better with a buffet onboard. Good turn for 'nb' tractors though :)

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

Enjoying the latest work Peter :sungum:

Lee - that would have been pre-ETHEL and pre-Tractor. Around 1974 with a McRat on the front. On a good day there was also a Clayton (which had brought the day coaches into Queen Street) shoving at the back up to Eastfield.

Hi Peter

That Terrace run looks great, though I can see what you mean about that door....think maybe it's a tone thing......The door is a little clean & bright considering the rest of the buildings :P Could just be the photo though.

The downpipes will round off these houses quite nicely I reckon! Look forward to seeing the finished article :D

Regards

Lee

Pete I would have thought that they were about 3" in diameter so a 1mm rod would probably do it!

Thanks Doug,

I will give that a go.

Are you and jeff going to the meeting next week?

Cheers Peter.

Great pic of D200 whistling away. Keep 'em coming Peter.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee,

Haven't taken many pics recently as it's been a bit warm out in the garage. Though seems cooler today.

Cheers Peter.

Enjoying the latest work Peter :sungum:

Lee - that would have been pre-ETHEL and pre-Tractor. Around 1974 with a McRat on the front. On a good day there was also a Clayton (which had brought the day coaches into Queen Street) shoving at the back up to Eastfield.

Thanks Rick,

I was 6 in 1974. :D didn't get to Scotland until 85 so missed out on 26s and NB 37s.

Cheers Peter.

Found this layout quite by accident as a result of the new RM site layout. Great looking layout!

Thanks Mullie,

Glad you like it, it keeps me off the streets and out of the pub. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

That Terrace run looks great, though I can see what you mean about that door....think maybe it's a tone thing......The door is a little clean & bright considering the rest of the buildings :P Could just be the photo though.

The downpipes will round off these houses quite nicely I reckon! Look forward to seeing the finished article :D

Regards

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I like your thinking, a bit of grime might tone it down. I am looking forwards to getting them finished too, they have been on the go for about five years now. :O

Cheers Peter.

Hi Ken,

Re our chat on the gallery page, I have finally taken a few pics of 25109s ploughs. As you guessed they are Heljan ploughs which I have cut a slot into, which is just big enough to fit a NEM type Kadee, 18 or 19 will do. As you may be able to see from the pic I have pushed the Kadee through and glued in a piece of platicard to hold the kadee inplace I found a small screw to help hold the thing together, though I have done a Heljan class 33 the same way but not used a screw. I just glued platicard either side or the coupler behind the centre plough which seems to be enough to hold it in place.

Hope this helps, if you need more info let me know.

Cheers Peter.

Many thanks Peter for the photos/info etc. Although I have a couple of 25's I plan to do, I'm more interested in your 33 as it's very similar to my 26/27s. When comparing the bogie sideframes, the 26/27 ones will require the front edges (behind the bufferbeam) cut back (they are longer at that point than the 33 ones) to clear any centre coupling mounting etc on curves. What min radius curves do you manage to use ?

Regards

Ken

Many thanks Peter for the photos/info etc. Although I have a couple of 25's I plan to do, I'm more interested in your 33 as it's very similar to my 26/27s. When comparing the bogie sideframes, the 26/27 ones will require the front edges (behind the bufferbeam) cut back (they are longer at that point than the 33 ones) to clear any centre coupling mounting etc on curves. What min radius curves do you manage to use ?

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

Here are a few pics of my class 33, I am not sure what my min radius is but it quite tight. As you can see there isn't much room between bogie and ploughs but it seems to work. Class 33 ploughs are slightly smaller than the class 26/27 ones,but it shouldn't make too much difference

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-71049900-1327574864_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-54068500-1327574901_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-89266900-1327575368.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 5

Peter, hi

Those terraced houses look great...the little bit of extra detail will finish them off very nicely...them you can get back to the blue stuff :yes:

Thanks Pete,

I am planning on doing a bit to the layout this year, but do have a few blue locos that I want to do. first up should be a class 31/4 then a Canton based 37/4. I am not getting much done at all at the moment though as it been pretty hot here the last few weeks.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

When you get a door on one of those terrace houses let me know and I will move in. Looking good.

I plan to get a bit done on the layout this year too. And yes, its even warmer north of the divide. (Bendigo)

Mark

Hi Peter,

That row of houses does look nice - you could almost do with the door etches Pete Harvey did for my station as they have some nice relief in the cut out sections and they were designed so that I just stuck them to a larger bit of plastic card which would then allow them to be stuck in to the door frame with just the right depth. Add a small door handle of what ever other fittings you need and they would finish them off nicely. For down pipes I use 1mm plastic rod and some 1/2 round section for the gutters either 1 or 1.5 mm which gives a nice effect when painted.

I do like your 33 with all that detail and weathering it is so convincing!

All the best,

Mark

Hi Peter,

When you get a door on one of those terrace houses let me know and I will move in. Looking good.

I plan to get a bit done on the layout this year too. And yes, its even warmer north of the divide. (Bendigo)

Mark

Hi Mark.

I was over Geelong way today for the BRMA meeting, I think it would have been high 30s certainly felt like it.

The rent in the terrace houses wont be much as there's no furniture or rooms come to that. Good for a bit of train spotting though. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

That row of houses does look nice - you could almost do with the door etches Pete Harvey did for my station as they have some nice relief in the cut out sections and they were designed so that I just stuck them to a larger bit of plastic card which would then allow them to be stuck in to the door frame with just the right depth. Add a small door handle of what ever other fittings you need and they would finish them off nicely. For down pipes I use 1mm plastic rod and some 1/2 round section for the gutters either 1 or 1.5 mm which gives a nice effect when painted.

I do like your 33 with all that detail and weathering it is so convincing!

All the best,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

The gutters are all but done I used some half round section from the Evergreen range, I still need to get some 1mm rod for the downpipes, I am not sure how I will make up the brackets that hold it to the walls, so any ideas.

Etch doors would be nice I have toned down the Saclescene door but I have also made one up out of plasticard, so I will see how that looks once I have painted it.

33202 is one of my favourites, it's running really well since I added some nice shiny replacement wheels.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Ken,

Here are a few pics of my class 33, I am not sure what my min radius is but it quite tight. As you can see there isn't much room between bogie and ploughs but it seems to work. Class 33 ploughs are slightly smaller than the class 26/27 ones,but it shouldn't make too much difference

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the helpful 33 images, will try out the mods on a 27 for starters.

Cheers

Ken