Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

It doesn't really matter if all the pipes including the jumpers are hooked up. It was to make sure everything worked on the loco not its all out pulling power. these tests were to make sure they'd go and stop when they should.

Hi Rob,

That makes sense, now you mention it it's obvious that they would test more than just pulling power. Making sure they could work ok in multiple would certainly be something they would be checking.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, nice weathering on the Seacows and Sealions. They look very nice behind your Peak.

Great photos Larry, I remember seeing similar photos of that service in Motive Power Monthly. Peter I think that you need to get a nice 37/5 or 37/7 to run with your Crompton. I do like the ex-split box ones especially in original Railfreight like 503 and 798 illustrated.

Your 37693 looks superb, I would like to get one of those myself as I do like that livery and it looks a nice model.

Hi Peter, nice weathering on the Seacows and Sealions. They look very nice behind your Peak.

Great photos Larry, I remember seeing similar photos of that service in Motive Power Monthly. Peter I think that you need to get a nice 37/5 or 37/7 to run with your Crompton. I do like the ex-split box ones especially in original Railfreight like 503 and 798 illustrated.

Your 37693 looks superb, I would like to get one of those myself as I do like that livery and it looks a nice model.

Thanks Alex,

I would like a 37/5 or 7 I always thought the ex split box locos look good, hopefully Bachmann will do one oneday. I like your blue split box 37 and wouldn't mind one, though the groove under the cantrail grilles puts me of a bit as does the nose which looks too long, though I am thinking that could be filed/sanded back, it's only a couple of mm.

Cheers Peter.

A couple of pics taken the other day, I haven't been out to the garage much this week as the wife is in hospilal at the moment having had a new knee fitted on Thursday.

45111 has arrived at platform 1 with the 1M58 from Newcastle. This is the first train into the platform under its own power since I extended the front part of the layout.

Due to a shortage of type 4 power a class 25 25109 has been provided to work the train forwards to Bangor.

For those interested in the stock, the coaches are Hornby MK2s fitted with flush windows and painted interiors, the last three are a Bachmann MK1 BG and Lima MK2c FO converted from a MK2b about 15 years ago along with a Lima MK2c TSOT converted at the same time.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-10203500-1316859384_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-95614800-1316859436_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-50699000-1316859482_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-17340600-1316859517_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-99883600-1316859550_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Peter,

Its nice to be able to catch up with your progress again! There is always something interesting to see and your improvements are just making your layout even better which does seem to be impossible!

The shabby grey 31 is a nice photo too with its raised cowl roof fan and upright bodyside grills that would make a nice model on your engineers trains! Especially those rather nice seacows/lions the weathering on them is brilliant. I also like the fence you have added and the depot views with the weathered locos like your 08 and 25 really standing out well.

Bachmann are due to release a pair of 37/5's at some point this year one in metals and the other in RF grey like on the test trains photos so this should be a bit easier to recreate soon as well - like you say not that you need an excused for any more locos! I have always liked the 37/5's too mainly because my first lima model was 37 511 way back in 1990 when I was just 10 - it still runs well today!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Peter,

Its nice to be able to catch up with your progress again! There is always something interesting to see and your improvements are just making your layout even better which does seem to be impossible!

The shabby grey 31 is a nice photo too with its raised cowl roof fan and upright bodyside grills that would make a nice model on your engineers trains! Especially those rather nice seacows/lions the weathering on them is brilliant. I also like the fence you have added and the depot views with the weathered locos like your 08 and 25 really standing out well.

Bachmann are due to release a pair of 37/5's at some point this year one in metals and the other in RF grey like on the test trains photos so this should be a bit easier to recreate soon as well - like you say not that you need an excused for any more locos! I have always liked the 37/5's too mainly because my first lima model was 37 511 way back in 1990 when I was just 10 - it still runs well today!

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Glad to hear you are back on line, must admit I do like the grey liv class 31s,bit out of my time frame though. I have another blue one to do and want to do the raised cowl roof grille on that, I have been trying to get a body or complete loco with the raised cowl so I can do a swap.

A 37/5 would be nice I willl keep an eye out for the Bachmann one, I will just have to add it to my list.

I had a few of the Lima class 37/5s myself along with some 37/4s and a few blue ones, I was a bit older than 10 when they came out though. :derisive:

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

hey Pete, I think thouse hoppers are the wrong colour all the ones I have seen recently have been rust coloured.... though at 70 to 120MPH it is a bit hard to see what the wagon is supposed to be... Saw a long line in Doncaster 2 days ago... all in various levels of rust

Peter,

Just recieved the latest edition of Model Rail and was pleasantly suprised to see a pic of 97 407 on the show and tell pages - great pic. You just need to get a full article produced. Keep up the good work, the updates are brilliant.

Regards

Jeff

hey Pete, I think thouse hoppers are the wrong colour all the ones I have seen recently have been rust coloured.... though at 70 to 120MPH it is a bit hard to see what the wagon is supposed to be... Saw a long line in Doncaster 2 days ago... all in various levels of rust

Hi Doug,

Hope you are enjoying the UK, we are going to try and get over next year. I think the hoppers don't get used much these days as Auto ballasters seem to be the go.

When are you due back? Will have to catch up at the next BRMA meeting.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Love the second (and third) shot of the rat...

I do hope your wife's knee op went well.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Yes the old girl is doing ok, :mosking: Hope she doesn't read this Leanne is quite good at hitting me with her crutches. It's only week two so still along way to go, as it's quite a major op. The nurse and Physio are pretty happy with how she is going though.

Cheers Peter.

Peter,

Just recieved the latest edition of Model Rail and was pleasantly suprised to see a pic of 97 407 on the show and tell pages - great pic. You just need to get a full article produced. Keep up the good work, the updates are brilliant.

Regards

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Thanks for letting me know, I sent some pics in a couple of months back and Richard was keen to put one in the mag, but thats the last I heard. Just have to wait a month or so until the mag arrives in Oz.

Cheers Peter.

Pete, I can lend you the mag at the next meeting! I have it in the suit case. I will be back weekend after next! Got a few other things you may wish to borrow at some time also!

Chat soon

Hi Pete, the seamoo`s are great, as you say not used as much now but still around, will look out for your pics ect in the mag..keep up the good work ..all the best to leanne, cheers Bro.

Hi keith,

Thanks mate, Leanne is doing ok.

Went out for the A class yesterday, weather was pants but got a few pics of the train plus a few others.

Cheers Peter.

Pete, I can lend you the mag at the next meeting! I have it in the suit case. I will be back weekend after next! Got a few other things you may wish to borrow at some time also!

Chat soon

Hi Doug,

Thanks for that, the other things sound interesting. Sounds like you have been spending a bit of cash.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, really like the shot of the 25 and the coaches, and i especially like the scenery around them, the ground levels look great and a great touch with the wall being built/demolished.

superb

Thanks Neil,

The wall has been demolished, it's imagined that the station roof was longer but has been shortened. I still need to build the roof the plan is to make it something like the one that used to be at Llandudno.

Cheers Peter.

I have been working an a couple of Bachmann brake vans recently. After talking to Leon on his South Wales Freight thread I thought I would post up a few pics showing the work do so far.

Both vans have had the buffers replaced with whitemetal ones from the bits box, they look pretty good though I am not sure they are the right ones. I have also added roller bearing axle boxes and the two pipes that come out of one side of the body, all CAR brake vans seen to have two or three pipes comming out of one side. I have also changed the rain strips on the roof to straight ones as apposed to the curved ones.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-14630500-1318759218_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-04469600-1318759246_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Nice photos of your vans - the detailing looks superb with the extra pipes. The roller bearing axle boxes also look nice added. I had meant to say it was nice to see your picture in model rail, was just flicking through and thought I recognise that loco and layout well! You really should get a full article done at some point it would certainly be nice to see your layout in there at some point.

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Hi Peter,

Nice photos of your vans - the detailing looks superb with the extra pipes. The roller bearing axle boxes also look nice added. I had meant to say it was nice to see your picture in model rail, was just flicking through and thought I recognise that loco and layout well! You really should get a full article done at some point it would certainly be nice to see your layout in there at some point.

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks, the guards vans are nearly done now plus I have been working on an old Replica MK1 BG which I am converting to an all blue NCV.

The pic in Modelrail was a suprise as I had sent a few pics off to them and they said they were interested in putting one or two in the mag, but that was the last I heard from them until Jeff told me on here the other day.

Cheers Peter.

Hi all,

Just a couple of pics showing the finished brake vans, and a pic showing the progress on my NCV. I have also made a start on painting the brickwork on my terraced houses with have been in an unfinished state for a few years now. I thought it was about time I tried to finish them. :O

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-06975800-1320045913_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-22272000-1320045941_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-91721600-1320045975_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-28144300-1320046017_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Been Busy again I see Pete. we are all back and if you are any where near Blackburn drop in as I have the Nov. Model Rail! Good to hear that Leanne is on the mend! the bachy Brakes look really good. From what I have seen the Hornby one's are not that different.

I should ask how have you done the "wonky" stone wall beside the station wall. Is it air dry clay on card board? looks good and I know I need some on my layout!

I will see if I can get the leave pass to your meeting BTW!

Hi Doug,

I have done a bit since you were last down, the stone wall by the station is DAS modelling clay over cardboard with a bit of PVA to help things along.

I am happy with the brake vans, I did notice the Hornby one was out, it does look pretty good.

Hope you can make it to the meeting.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

HI all,

Llanbourne hasn't been run for a while but I have a meeting next week, so will start cleaning track and wheels during the week. The 142 Pacer has had it's wheels cleaned and has been dusted off as it has been sat on the layout for a while.

Here is a pic of the Pacer arriving on a service from Bangor. 25904 waits for it's next duty on the holding sidings.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-78347800-1321094181_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-63379900-1321094238_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-60921900-1321094602_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-58433400-1321094648_thumb.jpg

• Like 7