Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

With regards loco moves on the north wales. it was also traditional for crewe works to put refurbished locos on teh run to bed them back in before returning to their own region. one that springs to mind imediatly are the 47/7 shove duffs.

Thanks mate, I don't plan on getting a class 47/7 at this point but do have an Ex Works class 37 that I pair up with a class 33 or 47. I also have a class 56 to do, I just need to sort out it's wobble.

Here is pic taken a while back.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-64023700-1315574908_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 1

Great Pictures Peter. Looking really good.

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Neil,

I am trying to get a few things done for my November meeting. I have spent some time this week sorting out some platform edges that had come unstuck and made a better job of some other bits that I didn't do a good job of first time round.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-49986300-1315574276_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-69318000-1315574305_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Not been keeping up with this....This thread is a fast mover! Your shot posted today at 14.09 of the grey 37 and blue 33 reminds me of the 14.08 Holyhead-Cardiff...

The North Wales-South Wales service introduced in the summer of 1985 brought with it the first regular use of Class 33's on the C&H line. 37798 was on test from Crewe Works, seen heading 33035....

post-6680-0-82382300-1315579382.jpg

37 798 started life as D6706 (January 1961?) and later became 37006. It lost its headcode boxes long before its 1986 refurbishment. Close up detail of this Railfreight grey loco.......

post-6680-0-87756300-1315579379.jpg

The train waiting to depart Llandudno Junction on 17th September 1986. The Mk.I consist appears to be a corridor second, corridor brake second, corridor composite, corridor brake composite and corridor second.....post-6680-0-11919800-1315579374.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting the pics, very nice. Do you have one in colour? I was planning on doing a 37/5 or /7 because I like the front end but got tired of waiting for Bachmann to do one so I did a 37/6 I might eventually do one with red stripe though.

Cheers Peter.

I started using colour on a regular basis quite late in the day after being inspired by Jane's colour albums circa 1984, so yes, I probably have some of the ex-works locos on colour slides. It's a matter of climbing into the attic and searching them out. The shot below was scanned from my North Wales mainline book, and shows 37503 on a test train at Deganwy on 21st February 1986....

post-6680-0-99127100-1315727822.jpg37@Deganwy.jpg[/email]]

• Like 3

I started using colour on a regular basis quite late in the day after being inspired by Jane's colour albums circa 1984, so yes, I probably have some of the ex-works locos on colour slides. It's a matter of climbing into the attic and searching them out. The shot below was scanned from my North Wales mainline book, and shows 37503 on a test train at Deganwy on 21st February 1986....

Nice shot of Deganwy there mate.

Peter, I have made a start on scaning some of my stuff for flickr. Much of it taken in your era and area, so keep an eye on my fiickr site in the next few weeks, as I started at 01002 and am working upwards !

Hope this helps .

Merf.

Thanks Larry,

That is a lovely shot, I have a copy of your book and quite a few of the Janes colour albums they a great books. Would love to see more of your slides shame to have them gathering dust in the attic. :mosking:

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

Nice shot of Deganwy there mate.

Peter, I have made a start on scaning some of my stuff for flickr. Much of it taken in your era and area, so keep an eye on my fiickr site in the next few weeks, as I started at 01002 and am working upwards !

Hope this helps .

Merf.

Hi Merf,

Thats great, let me know when you have a few on and I will go have a look.

Cheers Peter.

Shunters and class 20s so far, a few near Llanborne.

Merf.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/merf29/

Hi Merf,

Brilliant stuff, I didn't know the class 20s were used on such a variety of trains. The pic of a pair shunting the Speedlink is interesting, did they work the train or were they just being used to shunt the train? I would also love to know what the number of the Railfreight liveried one is I am planning on doing one in that liv with orange cantrail stripe.

Your other pics are interesting too, plenty of railway vehicles.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Merf,

Brilliant stuff, I didn't know the class 20s were used on such a variety of trains. The pic of a pair shunting the Speedlink is interesting, did they work the train or were they just being used to shunt the train? I would also love to know what the number of the Railfreight liveried one is I am planning on doing one in that liv with orange cantrail stripe.

Your other pics are interesting too, plenty of railway vehicles.

Cheers Peter.

20s on the Speedlink ? Well it's a long time now to remember, but I cannot see any other reason for them being at the Junction. I can't read the grey ones number with the magnifyer, sorry but from the state of the bridge behind, I would estimate it to be 1991 ish.

Merf.

20's shunting the Speedlink...... Could they have been at the Junction to haul the summer mainline steam train out of Llandudno at dinnertime and were got gainfull employment shunting wagons as well?

I well remember these engines wittering away in the yard circa 1990/91

This one on 25 6 1991, could be for the pull back. Just found this while digging out the next few to scan, 24/25/31s.

Merf.

oops, must put the picture in.

Edited by Merfyn Jones

Hi Peter,

Just wanted to add my belated praise for the Sealions. Superb. I especially like the marks on the side of the grey and yellow one for some reason.

The running-in/test train is a great idea for running what you want. Unfortunately I don't think many test trains made it as far north as Edinburgh (the refurbished 50s for example only seemed to make it as far north as Newcastle and even then not all the time I think). A bit of modeller's licence mightn't go amiss though of course.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Dave

The running-in/test train is a great idea for running what you want.

To be correct, the North Wales line was intensively used for test runs during the Crewe refurbishment programe involving classes 37 and 47, plus brand new Class 56's. Class 31's also made appearances on test heading the purpose made redundant coach sets. There was also a spell when RES parcels stock was used.

20s on the Speedlink ? Well it's a long time now to remember, but I cannot see any other reason for them being at the Junction. I can't read the grey ones number with the magnifyer, sorry but from the state of the bridge behind, I would estimate it to be 1991 ish.

Merf.

Hi Merf,

Thanks for that, There weren't that many 20s with headcode boxes and orange cantrail line so it 's possable that I can narrow done which one it is. Looking forwards to you next lot of pics.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Just wanted to add my belated praise for the Sealions. Superb. I especially like the marks on the side of the grey and yellow one for some reason.

The running-in/test train is a great idea for running what you want. Unfortunately I don't think many test trains made it as far north as Edinburgh (the refurbished 50s for example only seemed to make it as far north as Newcastle and even then not all the time I think). A bit of modeller's licence mightn't go amiss though of course.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I have a rake of six now, a couple more and that will do, I have started on a Cambrian Whale to go with them but I think I have lost some bits so it's back in a box at the moment.

Test trains are a bit of a bonus but you could always have a class 50 on a railtour, you don't have to have a clean one then.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Alan,

I have been thinking about that rather large brickwork which appears in my pics. I am thinking of making a removable backscene to go along the front of the layout for when I am taking pics from the back.

45029 has just arived on the 6D03 Ex Tuebrook to Penmaenmawr empty ballast and is about to run round.

The pic shows all 6 wagons that I have done so far, the first two behind the loco are Hornby Seacows with the rest being Bachmann, one Seacow and three Sealions.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-14774300-1316267414_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-01328600-1316267461_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Not been keeping up with this....This thread is a fast mover! Your shot posted today at 14.09 of the grey 37 and blue 33 reminds me of the 14.08 Holyhead-Cardiff...

The North Wales-South Wales service introduced in the summer of 1985 brought with it the first regular use of Class 33's on the C&H line. 37798 was on test from Crewe Works, seen heading 33035....

post-6680-0-82382300-1315579382.jpg

Great thread as always. Larry's shot is interesting in as much as the (white) engine multiple control pipes are connected as well as the (yellow) main res on those two locos. makes you wonder whether they had slipped the blue star jumper in on the other side and had them multi'd up.

Thanks guys,

You could be right Phil, been a while since I paired up a couple of loco's, if they are muli'd up it does sort of defeat the object of testing the 37.

Here are a cuople more of the ballast.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-34746700-1316428207_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-45060700-1316428243_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-80195600-1316428295_thumb.jpg

• Like 4