Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Gold

As we then had to "lose" another hour waiting a path at Llandudno Junction (no loop at North Llanrwst in those days) it was decided to refuel the locos before rather than after the trip up the branch and it was then that one starting showing signs of ill health.

More a case of the loop cannot pass long trains rather than being absent

Hi Rick,

OMG small world, thanks for the Gen on what went on that day. I do remember some but you have filled in the gaps. By the time we were stopped on the branch our group were all fairly well pi55ed, we weren't sure if we were in the tunnel as it was dark outside, an empty beer can lobbed out of the window confirmed that we were stuck in the tunnel. I am not sure we got home either if we were running that late.

What is really bizarre is one of my friends from that day was over here last week. He arrived in Perth and did the Indian Pacific then the Overland to Melbourne. One of the reasons for his visit was a gig Friday night that we both went too. We had some spare time so popped into Southern Cross hence the pic of the A class. Now what is really weird is on the platform was another guy taking a pic of the train, I started to chat to him and he was over from the UK, next thing is he recognises my mate from doing railtours back in the day. :O

Not a fan of the new liv, I think they looked better orange and grey.

Meeting this Saturday if you are interested.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

You're never alone among gunzels. Or gricers. :senile:

Will let you know when Saturday gets closer - still a lot on our personal agendas here but there's a light somewhere. Might be the far end of Ffestiniog Tunnel though personally I was hoping for Calais!

Hi Peter

Ive not been on here for a while and when I do I always look for your thread as your updates really inspire!

Ive got to say Im loving the rats and the wardrobes, also the 33's. I think you have the weathering down to a T!

I like your shot of 33201 on page 44 - I changed the no.1 end drivers windscreen on the real thing yesterday!! :good_mini:

Keep up the splendid updates

Trev

You're never alone among gunzels. Or gricers. :senile:

Will let you know when Saturday gets closer - still a lot on our personal agendas here but there's a light somewhere. Might be the far end of Ffestiniog Tunnel though personally I was hoping for Calais!

No worries.

Re your duff, duff I contacted their spares department and they said they would send the bits over. Not received anything yet though. Might be worth a try as you are missing the detail pack with all the handrails etc.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Trev,

pleased you like the thread, and glad to hear 33201 is still with us. I nearly modelled that one as I have a few pics of the old girl but went for 33202 as I have a pic of it on the North Wales Coast.

I see you have 33018 I think for a time that was my highest mileage 33/0, I used to see it everywhere.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-63554100-1314172821_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-96746500-1314172877.jpg

• Like 2

Top pics Peter thank you!

Trev

Thanks Trev,

I had a look at your pics on frickr, thought you might like 33018. I will have to dig out one of 33046 for you.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I took some of the factory weathering off my Modelzone brake van last night and it looks a lot better. Also put up and started to paint the fence that runs past the loco shed.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-87782000-1314351114_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-42477400-1314351278_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-08405500-1314351342_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Peter, looking good. I hope that there is a footpath running along the fence line, would allow some cracking shots to be taken of locos on shed!

Thanks Alex,

There is a bit of a path for the spotters, it would be rude not to have put one in.

I painted the posts today and have added a bit more green stuff.

Cheers Peter.

Hi All,

A few pics of the finished fence.

08695 and 33026 wait for there next duty.

45103 has been stabled on the fuel tank road as is about to leave the shed area to work a Trans Pennine service to Bangor.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-56880800-1314869098_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-34711100-1314869136_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-10603700-1314869213_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

A few pics of the finished fence.

Ironic that it's the locos that are in focus and not the fence :laugh:

Looks good Peter...a nice addition to give the foreground some depth...always nice to look over/through something and see some BR Blue...

Ironic that it's the locos that are in focus and not the fence :laugh:

Looks good Peter...a nice addition to give the foreground some depth...always nice to look over/through something and see some BR Blue...

Thanks Pete,

Yeah the fence is a bit out of focus, but I don't think anyone is really interested as there is a nice Peak on shed. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

As always, Peter, some superb modelling in evidence. I am always impressed by the realism of yout weathering.

Oh, and the fence looks good too! :)

Thanks Jeff,

Hopefully you can come down and see it when I have my meeting in November.

Still more to do though.

Cheers Peter.

Fantastic layout - the whole thread kept me entertained for quite a few hours since discovering it yesterday! Especially nostalgic for me given that I grew up just a few miles from Llanbourne(!) and my formative bashing days were spent on the North Wales coast in the period you have modeled.

I like the fact that you have taken a period and stuck to it - representing the correct loco types on their correct workings. If you wanted to expand the workings of various classes beyond what you've depicted in the photographs in the thread and still maintain a sense of historical correctness then you could also add in some "rare" workings based on the following:

• In addition to the usual diet of Peaks on the Pennines it wasn't unknown for a 31/4 to turn up now and again on these trains. Of course 47s appeared on most of the booked Peak turns (maybe on a 60/40 ratio in favour of the Peaks?) so don't be scared to get some 47 power on those trains.
  • The first summer Saturday of 1985 saw a paid of 20s on the 0604 Crewe - Llandudno (starting at Stafford due to the remodeling), returning on the 0939 Llandudno-Euston. This could be an excuse to stick your Chairs on a rake of air cons!
  • Peaks would, on occasion, produce on Euston turns (the ones that were rostered for Holyhead drivers rather than Crewe ones). This happened on quite a few occasions, a fact to which the rather large festers shown in my moves books can attest.
  • I've seen Rats in your photos dragging DMUs and also one on an ECS, but you could legitimately have them appear on other services. As late as 1986 I was dismayed to turn up for 1V04 0705 Holyhead-Cardiff only to find 25213 on the front. The train was on time and the Sulzer Ped solo, so I can only assume that it was either the booked train engine (or that the 47 had collapsed quite a while prior to departure).
  • NB 47s were far more common on passenger turns than your 47 roster would suggest, with Pennine trains being a favourite but any other train joining in during the Summer (and even sometimes in the Winter). An example of this was my after-school move on the final day of term prior to the Summer holidays of 1985:

47319 Colwyn Bay - Chester 1E16 1516 Llandudno-York
    47150 Chester - Llandudno Jn 1M63 1100 Scarborough-Holyhead
    47322 Llandudno Jn - Prestatyn 1E93 1703 Holyhead-York
    47074 Prestatyn-Rhyl 1M86 1412 Cardiff-Holyhead
    47194 Rhyl-Stafford 1Gxx 1800 Llandudno-Birmingham

In doing so I also flagged 47196 on the Llandudno-Stoke. (Apologies if I have any of the train departure times wrong in the above move - I typed them from memory). In my humble opinion your already-impressive 47 collection would be rounded out by the addition of at least one of the Crewe-based 4719x series and maybe a Crewe or Bescot-based 47/3.
  • Trains would sometimes have 2x47 at the helm in order to balance locos while avoiding light-engine movements. Usually the trailing 47 would be hauled dead. One train was booked for a pair of 47s though, this being Sunday's 1D60 1705 Euston-Holyhead (during the Summer of 1985, I believe), although this produced a pair only about 50% of the time if my memory serves me correctly.
  • Also in the Summer of 1985 the loco and stock off the weekdays Brum-Llandudno and Stoke-Llandudno each made a return trip to Blaenau. In 1986 I believe it was changed slightly so that the loco and stock off just one of those trains made the journey twice.

I hope some of this helps in some way. It's all from memory - my moves books and diagram books remain tucked away in the cellar, but if you have any specific questions (or challenges) then I'll happily dig them out.

• Like 3

Hi 47449xeCD,

Thanks for your kind comments I am pleased you like what I have done, thanks for noticing that I have tried to get the right loco's on the right workings etc.for the most part I have the correct stock though my Euston stock should have more MK2e&fs and not ds, plus they are a bit on the short side so they fit my platforms.

Thanks for your info on some of the rare workings.

I have written a timetable for Llanbourne which does have a class 47/4 booked on a Trans Pennine service, but the Peaks do work most of these trains, as they are one of my favourite loco's. I didn't know that 31/4 turned up though, I have seen pics of them on the Euston trains.

I have seen a video of a class 25 leaving Huddersfield on a Trans Pennine working plus I think they worked a few trains on the coast vice other loco's so a class 25 should turn up on a Passenger at Llanbourne, they have done in the past I've just not taken pictures. I think I will have to change that.

Yes 20s, I have a Stoke train that does a return trip down the branch which normally has D200 or 20s, it is booked for a class 47 but I don't really have any spare at the momnet. I like the idea of 20s on air cons though, any idea what worked the 20s train back to Stoke?

I have seen a night pic of a Peak at Crewe on a Euston train plus I remember reading somewhere that a Peak had worked from Holyhead on a Euston train. But from what you have said it seems that it wasn't that uncommon. I makes sence that they would work in from Holyhead if they were short of 47s as it would work back, where as Crewe would more than likely have a spare class 47. Looks like Llanbourne might see a few more Peaks working the Euston trains. :senile:

Your NB 47 moves make me quite jealous, it does seem like I could have a few more out and about on passenger trains. The problem is 47106 is currently the only NB 47. I do have two Lima NB 47s but they aren't good runners so don't get used. I do plan on getting a few more Bachmann or Vi loco's to fill the gaps. I need more large logo 47s and a couple more NB loco's are on my list, one will be in Railfreight grey but the other one will be blue, a 4719x sounds good at least one large logo loco will be a CD based machine.

I still need a few other loco's for Llanbourne top of the list are more 47s as I said above but I also need a couple of 31/4s one will be booked on the TPO leaving a spare for ballast and/or a Manchester - Bangor train which I have as a bit of chuck out and anything can turn up on it.

I am quite happy if you want to post more gen as it is all very interesting, if you have any pics feel free to post them on here.

Many thanks Peter.

Hi Pete , like the new fence and green bits they fit in just right ...and all this gen..good excuse to get more locos bruv. :locomotive:

Thanks Keith, though do you sthink I need an excuse to get more loco's. :laugh:

Cheers Peter.

Fresh of the workbench are two Sealions, the really dirty one is a standard Bachmann which I have added the safety mesh too, the other Sealion started life as an EWS liveried air braked Seacow. I added some Vac brake gear from an old Lima wagon and give it a repaint in grey and yellow added the safety mesh to this one too as the EWS wagon comes with a large mesh area covering the whole platform area and not just the middle.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-92425400-1315475788_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-45688500-1315475813_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-29195000-1315475855_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-84599600-1315475888_thumb.jpg

• Like 5