Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter, loving the Choppers on the rake of Grampus wagons. Great weathering on both! I can just imagine them whistling away whilst resting in the siding……B)

Wouldn’t mind a couple of 20s with snow ploughs, they do look good with them fitted.

The greenery looks very good to me and you have made a superb job of the extension.

The 108 looks superb, Bachmann certainly do know how to make good DMUs! Does Llanbourne have any Sprinters? I think a 150 would look rather nice running into the station although I am sure the local bashers would disagree! :lol:

Hi Peter,

You have blended that new front in perfectly and I really like the detailing you have got into it. The last photo with the DMU so well modelled looks great looking across the layout as it has just added even more to an already outstanding scene. The 2 tanks in the distance also look really good from that angle.

I know how you really like your 33's last Friday I actually travelled behind a pair for the first time on the East Lancs Railway and the noise of them up the hill from Irwell Vale and through the tunnels was fantastic!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Peter, loving the Choppers on the rake of Grampus wagons. Great weathering on both! I can just imagine them whistling away whilst resting in the siding……B)

Wouldn’t mind a couple of 20s with snow ploughs, they do look good with them fitted.

The greenery looks very good to me and you have made a superb job of the extension.

The 108 looks superb, Bachmann certainly do know how to make good DMUs! Does Llanbourne have any Sprinters? I think a 150 would look rather nice running into the station although I am sure the local bashers would disagree! :lol:

Thanks Alex,

The Grampus have come out quite well, I have always liked the wagon, not sure why. You could do a few of your 20s with ploughs, I know they weren't that common on 20s south of the border but during 1992 there were a few class 20s out based at Frodingham for working local steel trips, and most of them had ploughs.I am also sure I saw a few pics of them at Toton. This does mean that my 20s aren't really in their correct condition for the mid 80s but I just had to model them after spending a couple of days in the Barnetby area chasing them around.

I do have a 150, and although I wasn't a fan of the real thing, the model looks really good, I still need to back date mine a bit and fix the coupler that joins the thing together, I am trying to make it shorter so the unit is close coupled but I think I may have broken it. ooops :rolleyes:

Enjoy the 20 pics,:yahoo: I think 20117 would be a good one to do, what a beast.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-87834400-1310220031_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-49983200-1310220086_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-22661100-1310220129_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-77475700-1310220168_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Peter,

You have blended that new front in perfectly and I really like the detailing you have got into it. The last photo with the DMU so well modelled looks great looking across the layout as it has just added even more to an already outstanding scene. The 2 tanks in the distance also look really good from that angle.

I know how you really like your 33's last Friday I actually travelled behind a pair for the first time on the East Lancs Railway and the noise of them up the hill from Irwell Vale and through the tunnels was fantastic!

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I did have a few problems with the bridge as I can't remember what colours I used but I think it looks ok now.

I did see a few pics of the Cromptons on the East Lancs on another website. Glad you had a good day and a nice bit of thrash. I was lucky enough to get 33111 on the Swanage line last year. Though before that I think my last haulage would have been back in the late 80s. I did do few on the Pompy Bristols, back in the day.

Funny you mention Cromptons, 33026 was sat on the holding siding earlier this evening.:D

A blast from the past, 33201 at Southampton on a Pompy service.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-34059600-1310221185_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-92994500-1310221357_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Peter,

Which was the real one in those last two photos!? You certainly captured 026 very well in that shot - the extra scenery just makes your layout even better and thats no mean feat given the quality already!

I will let you know when I add some of the video to youtube of the East Lancs day. 37901 was another favourite for me just the sound that thing can make - brilliant. The only really bad thing about the day is I really want a model of Ark Royal in its Loadhaul livery now having seen and travelled behind it! I also travelled behing Royals Scots Grey - do I need that on my Alcans?

Keep up the good work,

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Peter,

Which was the real one in those last two photos!? You certainly captured 026 very well in that shot - the extra scenery just makes your layout even better and thats no mean feat given the quality already!

I Thanks,

Mark

Yeah! Wot 'e said. I can't add anything better than that (I'm not imaginative enough!!!). :) :) :)

Thanks Trev,:D

Hi Mark,

Thanks mate, I bet 37901 was nice, though I am not sure I like the class 50 in Loadhaul livery. Now a Deltic would be nice I can see why you could be tempted.

Thanks Jeff, I will see what you have been doing next weekend, that is of course if you haven't been playing trains too much.;)

Cheers Peter.

It was cold a wet here today so I had a bit of time in the garage, things started quite well but then when I was trying to get the colour right in the shed area I noticed the paint peeling away when I removed some masking tape, It only comes off on the recently painted bit so I decided to remove all the paint and start again :angry:

I also removed the route indicator from my signal that was taken off the layout when I was doing some scenary in that area, The route indicator will be used on another signal that will be on the extension. I am not sure if the two aspect is right though, any thoughts.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-28329200-1310292602_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I thought this shot may be in interest Peter...?

A Class 33 giving the appearance of working a north Wales freight! 33033 had been taken off the 'Ffestiniog Pullman" and put with the wagons. 40106 took over for the run to Ffestiniog. A thing that modellers might note is the steep camber of the track under 40106. This line was once an avoiding line through the station but it retained its camber after becoming part of the yard sidings.

post-6680-0-30733200-1310298303_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I also removed the route indicator from my signal that was taken off the layout when I was doing some scenary in that area, The route indicator will be used on another signal that will be on the extension. I am not sure if the two aspect is right though, any thoughts.

Hi Pete,

2-aspect could be prototypical for such a location - this acts like an isolated semaphore stop signal, if there was (had been) a requirement for a semaphore home and distant then a 3-aspect colourlight would be needed.

Are you using the subsidiary (2 whites) for shunting ahead ?

Signalbox

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That 33 looks nice Peter...looks very at home in that siding too.

I guess I have a soft spot for 33's as I grew up in Sussex and apart from a daily 47 (Brighton - Manchester Picadilly) and an abundance of 73's :boredom: we got to see them a lot...I guess that's a Heljan model that you have detailed?

I thought this shot may be in interest Peter...?

A Class 33 giving the appearance of working a north Wales freight! 33033 had been taken off the 'Ffestiniog Pullman" and put with the wagons. 40106 took over for the run to Ffestiniog. A thing that modellers might note is the steep camber of the track under 40106. This line was once an avoiding line through the station but it retained its camber after becoming part of the yard sidings.

post-6680-0-30733200-1310298303_thumb.jpg

Thanks Larry,

I always enjoy seeing your picures. It does bring up the question though, did class 33s ever get used on any freights? trip workings or even shunting wagons about the yard.

I don't think there would be many places in the UK where a class 40 and 33 would be seen together either, Nice.B)

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete,

2-aspect could be prototypical for such a location - this acts like an isolated semaphore stop signal, if there was (had been) a requirement for a semaphore home and distant then a 3-aspect colourlight would be needed.

Are you using the subsidiary (2 whites) for shunting ahead ?

Signalbox

Hi Dave,

I have attached a plan showing the signal at the top, hope this helps to give an overall idea. I think we talked signals once before but I have changed the trackwork on the extension since then.

The sub is for shunting past and does have a so called white LED, but as you can see it looks a bit orange.:rolleyes: I am not sure if there should be another dummy on the other track as that leads to the yard and carriage sidings, may be I need a repeater? As I plan to have a dummy at the end of the tunnel by the entrance to the carriage sidings and yard.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-50343300-1310389536_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-96104100-1310389579_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That 33 looks nice Peter...looks very at home in that siding too.

I guess I have a soft spot for 33's as I grew up in Sussex and apart from a daily 47 (Brighton - Manchester Picadilly) and an abundance of 73's :boredom: we got to see them a lot...I guess that's a Heljan model that you have detailed?

Hi Pete,

Yes I like my class 33s, I used to live at Sway near Brockenhurst so used to see them all the time, the pushers were most common. We use to get a few 73s too.

33026 is a Heljan model, I have done a bit of work to it, I had a go at reprofiling the cab roof which has improved things.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Love the Sprinter it really is a great model, they look good in that livery.

I can see why you modelled them hellfire! I would have loved to have visited Barnetby when 20s were still around, unfortunately my first visit to the area was in 1994 I think. Can’t believe I didn’t visit before….

117 is indeed a beast, you are correct I too have seen photos of it at Toton. Great photos! B)

Here is a superb video taken at Toton in February 1992 with 117 inside the shed:

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Love the Sprinter it really is a great model, they look good in that livery.

I can see why you modelled them hellfire! I would have loved to have visited Barnetby when 20s were still around, unfortunately my first visit to the area was in 1994 I think. Can’t believe I didn’t visit before….

117 is indeed a beast, you are correct I too have seen photos of it at Toton. Great photos! B)

Here is a superb video taken at Toton in February 1992 with 117 inside the shed:

Hi Alex,

I think we all have places we wish we had gone too, and the things we didn't take photos of.:rolleyes:

Nice youtube clip, it looks like few class 20s had ploughs on that day, something for you to think about when you come to do yours, I bet you are already getting info on what locos you want to do.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter, I'm afraid the Class 33's never did work a freight along the North Wales coast line, unless friend Merfyn J. knows different! As good as my grapevine was, Merfyn worked trackside and didn't miss much.:D The only hightlights were the occasional Slim Jims.

Hi Peter, I'm afraid the Class 33's never did work a freight along the North Wales coast line, unless friend Merfyn J. knows different! As good as my grapevine was, Merfyn worked trackside and didn't miss much.:D The only hightlights were the occasional Slim Jims.

No, never did freights, sorry Peter. Nice shot there though Larry, right outside our office.

The slim 33s were the only ones to work the Blaenau branch (Pullman special 1986)

Merf.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

I have attached a plan showing the signal at the top, hope this helps to give an overall idea. I think we talked signals once before but I have changed the trackwork on the extension since then.

The sub is for shunting past and does have a so called white LED, but as you can see it looks a bit orange.:rolleyes: I am not sure if there should be another dummy on the other track as that leads to the yard and carriage sidings, may be I need a repeater? As I plan to have a dummy at the end of the tunnel by the entrance to the carriage sidings and yard.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete,

It could do with being 3-aspect really.

Have you tried white lamps or LEDs ?

It's a tricky one for the other shunt, you would need arms under the platform starters to read to any signal at the tunnel mouth, prototypically there would probably be a crossover in the tunnel to allow right line departures to access the sidings but given the track plan I would provide a ground signal at the tunnel as you were musing.

Thanks Larry,

Thought that might be the case, not to worry, I am quite happy for my class 33s to stay with their MK1s on the Crewe and Cardiff trains.:D

Cheers Peter.

No, never did freights, sorry Peter. Nice shot there though Larry, right outside our office.

The slim 33s were the only ones to work the Blaenau branch (Pullman special 1986)

Merf.

Thanks Merf,

Sounds like you were the main man for gen on anything going on along the coast.:D

I remember the Pullman special, I was on it, the train was the"Conwy Crompton Pullman" 13th Dec 1986. 33202 and 33209 worked the train. All went well until the locos came off and Llandudno Junc, from memory they went for fuel and then 33209 was giving problems I think it was the slow speed control. Then we had problems on the branch and were stuck in a tunnel for a while not sure why, to be honest I was fairly well p###ed by this time so didn't really care.:D It was still great day out.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-83061200-1310636044_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Pete,

It could do with being 3-aspect really.

Have you tried white lamps or LEDs ?

It's a tricky one for the other shunt, you would need arms under the platform starters to read to any signal at the tunnel mouth, prototypically there would probably be a crossover in the tunnel to allow right line departures to access the sidings but given the track plan I would provide a ground signal at the tunnel as you were musing.

Hi Dave,

No worries, I already have to get a 3-aspect so will get two, might as well get it right. ;) I think it was a white LED that I put in the shunt signal but it was a few years ago, I will look into it for the new one.

Ground signal by the tunnel sounds like the best option then, I guess it's one of those problems with modelling a fictious place.

Thanks Peter.