Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi there, I have been following this tread for a long time, I have a couple of questions if I may. firstly who's 08's are you using. I have a couple of Hornby ones and as good as they are, they can be a bit squeaky when running.

Secondly I was re-reading the post and came across this image from 2010 (Saved and reposted to save looking back through pages and pages of pics). Can you remember who you managed to get just the marker lights illuminated on the Bachmann 47? its a realistic shot but I cannot seem to be able to get just the marker light lit.

many thanks

Dan

post-6736-0-21401000-1494752965.jpg

• Like 3

Hi there, I have been following this tread for a long time, I have a couple of questions if I may. firstly who's 08's are you using. I have a couple of Hornby ones and as good as they are, they can be a bit squeaky when running.

Secondly I was re-reading the post and came across this image from 2010 (Saved and reposted to save looking back through pages and pages of pics). Can you remember who you managed to get just the marker lights illuminated on the Bachmann 47? its a realistic shot but I cannot seem to be able to get just the marker light lit.

many thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

My two 08 are Hornby. I had a couple of Bachmann ones but they just didn't run as well as the Hornby. My 08695 runs really well all I have ever done is clean the wheels. 08472 runs well but does have a bit of a Squeak. 

I had to go and look at 47535 as it's sat on the layout right now about to go LE to the depot. All the lights work at both ends so I am not sure why the headlight in the pic above isn't working it wasn't planned. 

It is possible that some time ago I had put a PCB from another class 47 in that chassis, as I have a couple of blue class 47s that started life as Bachmann's early 47035 which didn't have the Headlight.

Hope that helps. Cheers Peter.

Guest Digital

I had a busy day yesterday cutting firewood at a friends house and didn't feel like doing much in the garage last night so I ran a few trains.

Cheers Peter.

Great set of photos Peter. 

Very Atmospheric.

Regards

John

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

There was a time when the poor old Cromptons were spending quite a bit of time away from their home depots so unreliability did become a problem.

Salisbury did see a bit of freight so plenty of wagon types would have gone through, the Severn Tunnel - Eastleigh and return always had quite a mix. Are you modelling the Salisbury area?

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,

watching from the lineside, the deterioration in the Cromptons' external appearance was readily apparent once they started to stretch their legs and spend extended periods 'off-world' in far away places.  Up until that point I seem to remember that they were always fairly tidy; certainly never filthy, though that might just be my rose-tinted spectacles looking back 30 years or so.  To answer your question, yes, I am attempting to model the Salisbury area, though a bit further west on the single line section.  However, for all the usual reasons, progress on my small layout is glacially slow, though I have acquired more than enough stock to populate something rather larger!  One day perhaps.

Sorry to hijack your thread with South Western ramblings.  To get back on topic, Llanbourne is always on my 'must look at' list: for me it captures the railway I remember  perfectly       ( - even though I am not really familiar with the area.)  Your modelling is to a consistently high standard, everything gels together nicely without jarring and you have a  great knack for capturing the mundane and the everyday aspects of the railway, which  give it that extra 'reality'.  A great talent.   I will continue to look forward to your updates.

Best wishes,

Paul 

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

watching from the lineside, the deterioration in the Cromptons' external appearance was readily apparent once they started to stretch their legs and spend extended periods 'off-world' in far away places.  Up until that point I seem to remember that they were always fairly tidy; certainly never filthy, though that might just be my rose-tinted spectacles looking back 30 years or so.  To answer your question, yes, I am attempting to model the Salisbury area, though a bit further west on the single line section.  However, for all the usual reasons, progress on my small layout is glacially slow, though I have acquired more than enough stock to populate something rather larger!  One day perhaps.

Sorry to hijack your thread with South Western ramblings.  To get back on topic, Llanbourne is always on my 'must look at' list: for me it captures the railway I remember  perfectly       ( - even though I am not really familiar with the area.)  Your modelling is to a consistently high standard, everything gels together nicely without jarring and you have a  great knack for capturing the mundane and the everyday aspects of the railway, which  give it that extra 'reality'.  A great talent.   I will continue to look forward to your updates.

Best wishes,

Paul 

Thanks Paul,

Some 33's really did look quite bad during the 80s but things improved during the late 80 and 90s when they were overhauled although by then the end was in sight.

Hijacking is fine I am quite happy to talk about all things South Western. Good luck with the layout build, I am glad Llanbourne gives you some inspiration.

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Paul,

Some 33's really did look quite bad during the 80s but things improved during the late 80 and 90s when they were overhauled although by then the end was in sight.

Hijacking is fine I am quite happy to talk about all things South Western. Good luck with the layout build, I am glad Llanbourne gives you some inspiration.

Cheers Peter. 

That's when we got hold of them in the Departmental fleet!

That's when we got hold of them in the Departmental fleet!

That's it John, and you painted them in that nice Dutch Livery that we were talking about last week.

I remember when 33008 got repainted in Dutch but it wasn't long before the beast was painted back into Green.

Not wanting to bore you guys with more class 33s but I found a few tatty ones and 33008 rolling through Woking. It would seen I haven't scanned any of my Dutch livery Crompton pics yet.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-98421800-1494851710_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-23291800-1494851814_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-20373500-1494851857.jpg

• Like 18

Cracking photos Peter!

Loving the departmental 40. Bob on.

Trev :)

Thanks Mate, One of the reasons for modelling North Wales was to have a few of the Departmental 40s. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

More great photos Peter.

I always enjoy a bit of trainspotting at Llanbourne. The 31 on the curve looks particularly nice.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan,

31319 is a bit of a favourite. It's an old Lima model I painted about 20 years ago running with chassis parts from a Hornby class 31.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for the inspirational pics again Peter, both Real and Model.

Thanks Andy, I noticed you had gone blue on your thread though I do like looking at your dirty old Steam loco's.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Andy, I noticed you had gone blue on your thread though I do like looking at your dirty old Steam loco's.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, A change is as good as a rest as they say. I would like to go later, 80's / Railfreight, but the Shunting would be a lot less, and the difference in Infrastructure between that and Steam would be to great, especially in the Goods Yards and Station furniture.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

Firstly, congratulations on passing 200 pages of updates, questions, answers, comments and photos!  As others have said superb modelling, and I hope I can get somewhere close later this year :) In honesty, if I can get to within 50% I'll be happy!

Thanks Peter, A change is as good as a rest as they say. I would like to go later, 80's / Railfreight, but the Shunting would be a lot less, and the difference in Infrastructure between that and Steam would be to great, especially in the Goods Yards and Station furniture.

Rule #1 applies Andy :) But I know the feeling, there's a point comes where Rule #1 just doesn't have the realism because you know its wrong ... my new O gauge will be a double-track ECML diversion route, primarily mid-1980s .. but I'm going to stretch the timescales to include the odd Deltic on a London and the odd sectorisation loco :), thats all definitely Rule #1!!

But part of that comes from the inspiration I get from Llanbourne, whenever I see pictures of Peter's layout - oh to be able to wander down to that station exit for an afternoon with the camera.  Love the shot of that Peak arriving on the passenger working, pure nostalgia :sungum:  Now .. where did I put that time machine  :onthequiet:

Rich

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

I must admit I have been very tempted to do a few Triple grey and Dutch loco's over the years but normally lack of money has stopped me their has always another blue loco on the to do list that has stopped me too.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

So a bit done this week and a rather large parcel arriving mid week. I don't normally post up pics of loco's fresh out of the box but this one is something I have been saving for for quite a while.  

Peaks have always been a favourite so when I saw Heljan were going to one I couldn't resist. The loco is pictured next to my 4mm 45036 which is what the big one will be eventually. Another 4mm Peak 45103 has now been fitted with Biffs sound, it's really quite good but a real ###### to fit Speaker wise.

Another loco nearly ready for a return to traffic is 31444. It has been sat in the display case for a few years and I even thought about selling it. 31444 was one of the last repaints I did in the UK before leaving to live here in Oz and it;s had a bit of work done to it. I have removed the motor gears and pick ups so the loco will be used as a dummy. New ETH sockets and air pipes have been fitted so once painted and weathered it will get some use. 

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-15324500-1495807714_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-23934400-1495807747_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-76585200-1495807793_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-41389400-1495807837_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

I don't think there's an easy way to break this to you, Peter, but I don't think the Peak you've been saving for is to the same scale as the other one. Unless of course it's just that the smaller one is "far away".

:jester:

Very nice.

So a bit done this week and a rather large parcel arriving mid week. I don't normally post up pics of loco's fresh out of the box but this one is something I have been saving for for quite a while.  

Peaks have always been a favourite so when I saw Heljan were going to one I couldn't resist. The loco is pictured next to my 4mm 45036 which is what the big one will be eventually. Another 4mm Peak 45103 has now been fitted with Biffs sound, it's really quite good but a real ###### to fit Speaker wise.

Another loco nearly ready for a return to traffic is 31444. It has been sat in the display case for a few years and I even thought about selling it. 31444 was one of the last repaints I did in the UK before leaving to live here in Oz and it;s had a bit of work done to it. I have removed the motor gears and pick ups so the loco will be used as a dummy. New ETH sockets and air pipes have been fitted so once painted and weathered it will get some use. 

Cheers Peter.

peter that is a beast wow personally i would prefer a 37 but the peak is awesome looks great next to the oo scale version . Heljan have made some great o scale models and there very tempting but will have to console myself with great photos posted like yours do you have plans to weather it up , the skinhead 31 looks ace but you dont need me to tell you that great work keep posting the fantastic pics on here .

• RMweb Premium

One of those Peaks is definitely overscale!

More great pics Peter and I'm having trouble telling which are real and which are model at times.

Here's an interesting line-up which hints at my future plans

post-3305-0-77064300-1495822434_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2