Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Sorry to hear your having problems with the 31 Peter - need to get you in to proper locos and get Llanbourne rebuilt in O gauge ;)

Rich

Thanks Rich, 

Funny you mention 7mm something I have been thinking about. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich, 

Funny you mention 7mm something I have been thinking about. 

Cheers Peter.

Noooooo - you can't just leave us hanging like that!!!  :jester: 1980s Llanbourne in 7mm is on the horizon i can see it now  :onthequiet:

So 31187 is now running a lot better. I have dis connected the lights though as all they do is flick on and off. I removed some grease and dropped  some oil between the small washers that sit each end of the worm gear. 31403 was given the same treatment as one end was getting a bit noisy. 47636 is now running better after playing with some CVs the sound in this one still isn't as good as my other biffo sound class 47 so more playing is required.

I had a bit of a running session after this and 25912 which is still a favourite at the moment saw most use. It is seen tripping some wagons to the yard then running round while 08472 is seen about to shunt the oil train and trip it back to the station.

Edit. Not sure why pic have come up in wrong order!

Cheers Peter.

Those latest pictures are superb Peter.  Very inspiration modelling as ever.

Rich

The Hornby 31s are a pain to lubricate i find.

Have you disconnected the fan drives too, Peter?

Hi Trev,

I did it on my Railfreight one but noticed on 403 when using it the other day that I hadn't done it. It runs quite well so I will leave it. I will check 31323 too, I know I have removed the fan drive from 56070 as that was a shocker it's still not the best runner so I will have another look at that at some point.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Noooooo - you can't just leave us hanging like that!!!  :jester: 1980s Llanbourne in 7mm is on the horizon i can see it now  :onthequiet:

Those latest pictures are superb Peter.  Very inspiration modelling as ever.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

I have had a Heljan 37 for a few years now and have a class 26 too plus a few wagons. The plan is to make a small shunting type layout 12ft by 2ft I will start a thread when I get round to building boards but time money and still working on Llanbourne keeps putting a start on the 7mm back. I am actually saving for a Peak at the moment and not doing very well. I need to sell some of my oo steam stock.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter. I agree with your comments about the Hornby locos. I find it very surprising, the motors and drivegear are massively over engineered and should offer super smooth effortless performance. But as per usual with Hornby, small, silly, poorly applied details spoil things. One of the biggest things for me on an almost daily basis is the wiring of loco lighting on a common negative basis. Whoever came up with that one should have been given a Darwin award.

One thing I have found is that most of the motors have capacitors on them, generally shaped like a very small lozenge and brown in colour. Remove them as they cause running issues with dcc. As they are wired close to the motor you have to find them, for instance removing the 56 pcb reveals the motor and the offending items.

I do think it's about time we see you delving into 7mm ;-)

• Like 1

Hi Peter. I agree with your comments about the Hornby locos. I find it very surprising, the motors and drivegear are massively over engineered and should offer super smooth effortless performance. But as per usual with Hornby, small, silly, poorly applied details spoil things. One of the biggest things for me on an almost daily basis is the wiring of loco lighting on a common negative basis. Whoever came up with that one should have been given a Darwin award.

One thing I have found is that most of the motors have capacitors on them, generally shaped like a very small lozenge and brown in colour. Remove them as they cause running issues with dcc. As they are wired close to the motor you have to find them, for instance removing the 56 pcb reveals the motor and the offending items.

I do think it's about time we see you delving into 7mm ;-)

Thanks Lee,

The 7mm will happen in time, still plenty to do on Llanbourne though.

Next time I take the bodies off I will check for the capacitors. The lights work on all but the sound fitted class 31 I did read somewhere there is a fault with the PCB on the factory sound loco's that must be the common neg problem you mentioned. I guess it means a new PCB?

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks Lee,

The 7mm will happen in time, still plenty to do on Llanbourne though.

Next time I take the bodies off I will check for the capacitors. The lights work on all but the sound fitted class 31 I did read somewhere there is a fault with the PCB on the factory sound loco's that must be the common neg problem you mentioned. I guess it means a new PCB?

Cheers Peter.

Unfortunately a different pcb won't sort it. The leds on the lighting units are installed in a reversed way to the usual to create negative common. These can be replaced the correct way around, but then the pcb won't work with them. Best solution I have found is to rip everything out, install new custom light units, and hard wire everything in. Bit of a ballache.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich,

I have had a Heljan 37 for a few years now and have a class 26 too plus a few wagons. The plan is to make a small shunting type layout 12ft by 2ft I will start a thread when I get round to building boards but time money and still working on Llanbourne keeps putting a start on the 7mm back. I am actually saving for a Peak at the moment and not doing very well. I need to sell some of my oo steam stock.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Nice to see there's a plan .. and with a split-headcode 37, a 7mm version of Llanbourne is still doable :) ... that Scottish 26 thing could be on running in trials from Crewe! Hehe xx. I've saved and got a Peak ... unfortunately its arrived damaged and unusable as a result of some twit tightening the retaining screws, which Heljan now use, so hard I cannot even undo one of them them with a power drill!  The result is that the screws have broken through the block of MDF wood that the loco secured to for transit, and the model has been sliding about in the post :(. Still in a good condition, it would be superb model!

Do admire what your doing with the OO though, have done ever since I first came across the thread!

Rich

Unfortunately a different pcb won't sort it. The leds on the lighting units are installed in a reversed way to the usual to create negative common. These can be replaced the correct way around, but then the pcb won't work with them. Best solution I have found is to rip everything out, install new custom light units, and hard wire everything in. Bit of a ballache.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for that, I don't fancy doing all that just to get some working lights so will probably leave it for now. Never say never though it might happen one day. It does sound very good with it's biffo sound file.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Nice to see there's a plan .. and with a split-headcode 37, a 7mm version of Llanbourne is still doable :) ... that Scottish 26 thing could be on running in trials from Crewe! Hehe xx. I've saved and got a Peak ... unfortunately its arrived damaged and unusable as a result of some twit tightening the retaining screws, which Heljan now use, so hard I cannot even undo one of them them with a power drill!  The result is that the screws have broken through the block of MDF wood that the loco secured to for transit, and the model has been sliding about in the post :(. Still in a good condition, it would be superb model!

Do admire what your doing with the OO though, have done ever since I first came across the thread!

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks Mate, the plan is the 7mm will be north of the boarder and I know Peaks didn't get up that way all the time but on my first visit to Scotland back in 85 I saw 45020 roll through Edinburgh Waverley on a spoil train so that's my excuse for getting one. I want a class 20 too but that will have to wait.

Sorry to hear about you problems with you Peak I don't think these loco's have been as bad as the class 60s and some of the recent 37s with have arrived damaged. I hope if I get one it arrives here ok as the postage to send it back will be costly.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-84034500-1494241256_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

As you say seems to have been better, although Sod's law I never had a problem with foam!!

Nice shot of the peak - you'll be giving Dave over on Waverley West more ideas! Must admit I didn't realise that Dutch livery in person wagons and Peaks overlapped...

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

Nice shot of the peak - you'll be giving Dave over on Waverley West more ideas! Must admit I didn't realise that Dutch livery in person wagons and Peaks overlapped...

Rich

Too right Rich. I've just completed a rake of Dutch-liveried wagons and my Peak would look very nice sat at the head of that, but I'd never thought to try it. Thanks Peter! I've not seen many photos of Peaks at Waverley/Haymarket either.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

As you say seems to have been better, although Sod's law I never had a problem with foam!!

Rich

Thanks Rich,

Peaks went in 1988, the Dutch livery on wagons started quite early about 84 i think. Dutch livery on loco's was later about 1990 ish. 

Cheers Peter.

Too right Rich. I've just completed a rake of Dutch-liveried wagons and my Peak would look very nice sat at the head of that, but I'd never thought to try it. Thanks Peter! I've not seen many photos of Peaks at Waverley/Haymarket either.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am sure I have see you running a Peak. I think class 45s were fairly rare but in the early 80s I am pretty sure Haymarket had a few class 46s allocated to the shed if not there was a regular working with 46s as I have seen pics of 46s being serviced at Haymarket.

Cheers Peter. 

Thanks Rich,

Peaks went in 1988, the Dutch livery on wagons started quite early about 84 i think. Dutch livery on loco's was later about 1990 ish.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Sounds about right, remember seeing new YCV "Turbot" wagons down the coast around then on spoil duties, they were the first wagons I remember seeing in Dutch colours.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Hi Dave,

I am sure I have see you running a Peak. I think class 45s were fairly rare but in the early 80s I am pretty sure Haymarket had a few class 46s allocated to the shed if not there was a regular working with 46s as I have seen pics of 46s being serviced at Haymarket.

Cheers Peter. 

Yes, that's what I reckoned too. I've seen pics of 46s at Haymarket too. I've also seen a shot of a 46 on an Edinburgh - Newcastle service (which included TPO vehicles).

I have sealed beam 45144 in regular service and a 46 awaiting sound fitting some time.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Rich,

Cheers Peter.

.....small?  :O

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rich,

Cheers Peter.

Hi all. Don't know whether it helps but I would put Dutch liveried Turbots as early as 1983. I used to cycle to school via Salisbury railway station most mornings and there was invariably a set of fresh looking (loaded) turbots, usually behind a Crompton, sat in either platform 3 or 4. I left school in July 83.

Best wishes,

Paul

Yes, that's what I reckoned too. I've seen pics of 46s at Haymarket too. I've also seen a shot of a 46 on an Edinburgh - Newcastle service (which included TPO vehicles).

I have sealed beam 45144 in regular service and a 46 awaiting sound fitting some time.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I think I have seen a pic in one of my Peak books of that very train with TPOs in the formation. Look forwards to seeing the class 46 when it's done. I have a sound chip to put into one of my older 45s.

Cheers Peter. 

Thanks Paul & Cav,

I wasn't to far of then, funny how I remember train stuff and forget Birthdays etc. It looks like the Turbots would have been some of the first painted then having been rebuilt from Bogie Bolsters during 82. I wonder what other wagons were repainted about that time.

I do like that Dutch Ped. Pity Dutch livery didn't come out earlier it was one of my favourite liveries back in the day.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Peter, I think you are in good company: birthdays are why diaries were invented! ....I can never remember them either; well, not until the day after, usually... :jester:

I certainly remember the Turbots I saw at that time as being particularly bright -  they stood out because of the ( - for then) gharish livery.  Funny how traditional it looks now.  In any event, they do look very purposeful sat behind the peak in the photograph.

Best wishes, 

Paul