Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter

I agree with the others - that Spoon is looking good, and that ballast formation looks the business, especially with the different heights of the dogs and cats. 

Top drawer as usual!

Trev :)

Edited by big T
  • Like 1

Looks great Peter, I actually like the differing ballast colours the new work has introduced. I wouldn't blend it in too much if it were me. Then again the two tone ballast is a bit of a trademark of mine! ;)

Hi Peter

That's looking really good now. I have to agree with Cav about the ballast.  It does actually look as if some engineering work has taken place, especially with the ballast on top of the sleepers. The two ballast trains standing there in the platform create the perfect picture. Top work indeed.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks for the feedback guys, always appreciated.

The ballast train is made up from Heljan and Cambrian Dogfish Cambrian Catfish Cambrian Shark and Lima Sealions.

I was always quite happy with my ballast weathering until I saw a few layouts on RMweb that took it in my opinion to a better level. One of these layouts was Cavs. I think mine in some places is too dirty which I tried to improve when I did the extension a few years back, I still think I went to far and the station area will still probably be quite dirty but I hope to have more lighter area's than what used to be there. Plus I still need to make it fit in with the rest.

The next layout will have the ballast done in a different way but that's a while off at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Peter

I have always thought of your ballasting as being well executed with the right size product, especially compared with mine which uses over-scale Woodland "medium".  As to colour we all know this varies hugely mot just according to region and rock source used for the ballast but dependant upon whether a high-speed main line with minimal ash or oil-drop (though turds and bog-roll might appear at random intervals) to terminal lines where locos would stand for extended times and soil the ballast turning it black and slimy.

I have tried to replicate that by use of varied strengths of water-colour wash and use of weathering powders.  I've even squeezed neat black paint from the tube onto the sleepers to represent really claggy oil drop at a signal.  Some areas might be too dark but mostly I reckon it's OK.  Yours looks fine given the amount of oil drop in station platform areas.

Thanks for the feedback guys, always appreciated.

The ballast train is made up from Heljan and Cambrian Dogfish Cambrian Catfish Cambrian Shark and Lima Sealions.

I was always quite happy with my ballast weathering until I saw a few layouts on RMweb that took it in my opinion to a better level. One of these layouts was Cavs. I think mine in some places is too dirty which I tried to improve when I did the extension a few years back, I still think I went to far and the station area will still probably be quite dirty but I hope to have more lighter area's than what used to be there. Plus I still need to make it fit in with the rest.

The next layout will have the ballast done in a different way but that's a while off at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

I wouldn't change a thing Peter, I use Llanbourne as a yard stick for my own stumbling efforts.

Peter

I have always thought of your ballasting as being well executed with the right size product, especially compared with mine which uses over-scale Woodland "medium".  As to colour we all know this varies hugely mot just according to region and rock source used for the ballast but dependant upon whether a high-speed main line with minimal ash or oil-drop (though turds and bog-roll might appear at random intervals) to terminal lines where locos would stand for extended times and soil the ballast turning it black and slimy.

I have tried to replicate that by use of varied strengths of water-colour wash and use of weathering powders.  I've even squeezed neat black paint from the tube onto the sleepers to represent really claggy oil drop at a signal.  Some areas might be too dark but mostly I reckon it's OK.  Yours looks fine given the amount of oil drop in station platform areas.

Thanks Rick,

The most recent ballasting on Llanbourne has been Woodland Scenic's Medium but mixed with a bit of fine. I have used another brand before but I can't remember what it was. I was slightly smaller in size to the Woodlands medium.

I think your ballast colour is pretty good to Rick and as you say it can vary a fair bit depending on how old it is how well used it is and what colour it came from the quarry I guess you could say as long as you weather it in some way it can't really be wrong.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I wouldn't change a thing Peter, I use Llanbourne as a yard stick for my own stumbling efforts.

Ha ha I was only looking at your layout the other day and thinking how good it looked. lol

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Folk on the platform look so realistic particularly the two gricers.

Thanks Larry,

Most of the figures are Bachmann with a few whitemetal ones to add some variety. I can't remember where I got the gricers from there are a few others waiting for a spot on the bridge.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

The remedial work looks great. I've always liked your track weathering colours.

I like the cheeky pose the driver of the 31 is pulling with one arm on the cab window sill! Very convincing.

Top order.

Cheers

Hi Peter,

The remedial work looks great. I've always liked your track weathering colours.

I like the cheeky pose the driver of the 31 is pulling with one arm on the cab window sill! Very convincing.

Top order.

Cheers

Thanks Trev,

I am happy with the new ballasting it doesn't look too different to the rest. I fit a driver to all of my loco's I find an open window with driver arm or hand hanging out adds to the realism.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

That 31 is superb and a nice little working for it too.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Class 31 were allocated to quite a few Departmental pools during the 80s and 90s so it was a regular sight back in the day.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in quite a while I ran some trains on Llanbourne. A visit from Rick aka Gwiwer of Penhale Bay fame came down for one last look at Llanbourne before jetting of to the UK.

The pics below show a few pics taken before Rick arrived, the layout ran quite well. But I have a few loco's that need a service and a sound fitted class 47 that only seems to have one speed.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-49239400-1493722334_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-17859000-1493722393_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to Peter for the chance to watch Llanbourne in action one more time.

And may I also take this opportunity of thanking Peter, Leanne, Abbie and the various furry members of their family for hosting and refreshing all of us who have visited. Peter has also proved to be a good friend beyond little trains for which thanks are also due from Sharon and myself.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

For the first time in quite a while I ran some trains on Llanbourne. A visit from Rick aka Gwiwer of Penhale Bay fame came down for one last look at Llanbourne before jetting of to the UK.

The pics below show a few pics taken before Rick arrived, the layout ran quite well. But I have a few loco's that need a service and a sound fitted class 47 that only seems to have one speed.

Cheers Peter. 

I had a real one like that at Haymarket. Turned out to be a broken contact in the load regulator that kept the field diverts in circuit continuously (47 210 circa 1979/80 if Waverley West of this parish wants to replicate it...).

Many thanks to Peter for the chance to watch Llanbourne in action one more time.

And may I also take this opportunity of thanking Peter, Leanne, Abbie and the various furry members of their family for hosting and refreshing all of us who have visited. Peter has also proved to be a good friend beyond little trains for which thanks are also due from Sharon and myself.

Thanks Rick that's very kind,

It was a pleasure having you down. 

Cheers Peter.

I had a real one like that at Haymarket. Turned out to be a broken contact in the load regulator that kept the field diverts in circuit continuously (47 210 circa 1979/80 if Waverley West of this parish wants to replicate it...).

47636 is the least of my problems at the moment, my railfreight class 31 has developed a squealing noise. I have had in bits twice now and oiled the bearings and still no improvement. I sometimes wonder why I bother with this Hornby rubbish it's such a pain to take these things apart and put them back together again.

Cheers Peter.

47636 is the least of my problems at the moment, my railfreight class 31 has developed a squealing noise. I have had in bits twice now and oiled the bearings and still no improvement. I sometimes wonder why I bother with this Hornby rubbish it's such a pain to take these things apart and put them back together again.

Cheers Peter.

Couldn't agree more, Peter.

My Hornby 08, 31, 56s and A4 are all a pain to take apart and, more importantly, put back together again, even for basic servicing (pickup cleaning, lubrication and so on). I find doing the same to a Bachmann or Heljan loco child's play by comparison.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Peter.

Sorry to hear your having problems with the 31 Peter - need to get you in to proper locos and get Llanbourne rebuilt in O gauge ;)

Rich

Couldn't agree more, Peter.

My Hornby 08, 31, 56s and A4 are all a pain to take apart and, more importantly, put back together again, even for basic servicing (pickup cleaning, lubrication and so on). I find doing the same to a Bachmann or Heljan loco child's play by comparison.

Thanks Dave, I think the Hornby need more looking after too. I am going to try again tonight, may be with light oil rather the grease.

Cheers Peter.