Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

People have criticised banger blue for being a plain and boring livery but I found the single grey even duller.  Adding a red stripe only marginally improved things.  But that's a lovely piece of work Peter and with few clues apart from the curved bar of the Kadee to suggest it's a model.

• RMweb Premium

post-20618-0-39785800-1490541671.jpg

Pete, I've quickly put together to explain my earlier comment about distant signals. The top drawing shows a standard arrangement, 3 is the distant, 2 the home and 1 the starter signal. Signal 3 can only be cleared when both 2 and 1 are green. A distant signal at green means that all other signals controlled by that box are also green.

The lower drawing shows a very simple terminal station, signal 1 is now effectively the buffer stop. As the buffer stop can't show green, the distant signal can only ever show yellow.

Also, a combined stop and distant signal (red and yellow arms on one post) only happens where two boxes are close together, such that the starter for one signal box shares the post with the distant for the next. This is properly in the world of unnecessary signalling spotting though - and like all signalling, you can always find an example to disprove the standard. Hopefully this is at least useful background! Andy

Not a lot to report really, I am making up some point rodding bits to do the small ground frame in the station. I have also finally finished this Crewe allocated class 47/3, it's been on the workbench for way too long but I am happy with how it's come out.

Cheers Peter.

Great looking Duff Peter. I do prefer that livery to red stripe, it looks far cleaner unless there is an obvious sole bar. Jim

Tidy duff Peter. I must admit, my previous liking for Railfreight red stripe has changed to your locos Railfreight grey. No idea why!

Thanks Lee,

47050 was the first loco I saw in Railfreight livery. It was on a ballast job near Sway one Sunday Morning. I actually quite liked it but I think that was more because it was something new and something other than Blue. I think once it was more common I wasn't so keen on it and preferred the red Stripe though it didn't really suit some loco's.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

People have criticised banger blue for being a plain and boring livery but I found the single grey even duller.  Adding a red stripe only marginally improved things.  But that's a lovely piece of work Peter and with few clues apart from the curved bar of the Kadee to suggest it's a model.

Thanks Rick,

Looking back I still like the Blue and Large logo blue over most other liveries though it was nice to have some variations.

Cheers Peter.

attachicon.gifsignalling 1.jpg

Pete, I've quickly put together to explain my earlier comment about distant signals. The top drawing shows a standard arrangement, 3 is the distant, 2 the home and 1 the starter signal. Signal 3 can only be cleared when both 2 and 1 are green. A distant signal at green means that all other signals controlled by that box are also green.

The lower drawing shows a very simple terminal station, signal 1 is now effectively the buffer stop. As the buffer stop can't show green, the distant signal can only ever show yellow.

Also, a combined stop and distant signal (red and yellow arms on one post) only happens where two boxes are close together, such that the starter for one signal box shares the post with the distant for the next. This is properly in the world of unnecessary signalling spotting though - and like all signalling, you can always find an example to disprove the standard. Hopefully this is at least useful background! Andy

Thanks for that Andy,

You diagram makes sense, it would seem I have mucked this up somewhat. Can I keep the Distant Arm on and make it Fixed then? I have imagined that there is another box off scene at the junction where the Crewe and Holyhead line split. You may have noticed a few colour light signals. I idea is that the semophores are being replaced the colour light signal by the bridge leading to the fiddleyard has a route indicator due to the line splitting shortly after the bridge.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

Great looking Duff Peter. I do prefer that livery to red stripe, it looks far cleaner unless there is an obvious sole bar. Jim

Thanks Jim,

I always like the class 26's myself.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I like the new Duff in grey Railfreight livery, think it stems from an old Hornby model I bought years ago. They look nice on speedlink workings in that livery.

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I know the one you mean. I had a few blue ones back in the day, Some of the early ones  had the two mould lines along the body that had to be removed before repainting. They were such bad runners, there might even be one in the parents loft that got thrown when it kept coming off.

Congrats on the new baby by the way. I am sure you will still find some modelling time.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Andy,

You diagram makes sense, it would seem I have mucked this up somewhat. Can I keep the Distant Arm on and make it Fixed then? I have imagined that there is another box off scene at the junction where the Crewe and Holyhead line split. You may have noticed a few colour light signals. I idea is that the semophores are being replaced the colour light signal by the bridge leading to the fiddleyard has a route indicator due to the line splitting shortly after the bridge.

Cheers Peter.

post-20618-0-38564000-1490600560_thumb.png

Mucked up is harsh assessment! I've tried to turn your words into a diagram. The upper one shows two signal boxes with the starter and distant combined as you have it at the moment. In this case, the distant arm B3 would be fixed.

The middle diagram shows that the distant and home signals for box A have been replaced by colour light signals.

The lower diagram, for completeness, shows how the signalling might look with all signals colour light and highlights some key differences between the two systems. In the upper two diagrams, signal A1/B3 can only show red and yellow aspects, whilst B2 can display red and green. In the lower diagram, A1 can now show red, yellow and green, whilst B2 is restricted to red and yellow only. It makes signalling interesting and drivers' route knowledge essential.

If the diagram is upside down, its due to ipad to rmweb interface issues and nothing to do with our relative global locations!

• Like 1

Lovely job on the 47 Peter and, as always, the weathering looks spot on. Very nice indeed.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks Marcus,

I am happy with the weathering which is something I find harder to do  a class 47s due to the plain sides, the pics I found of 358 during the mid 80s show it to be fairly clean on the body so thats how I have left it.

Cheers Peter.

attachicon.gifIMG_0204.PNG

Mucked up is harsh assessment! I've tried to turn your words into a diagram. The upper one shows two signal boxes with the starter and distant combined as you have it at the moment. In this case, the distant arm B3 would be fixed.

The middle diagram shows that the distant and home signals for box A have been replaced by colour light signals.

The lower diagram, for completeness, shows how the signalling might look with all signals colour light and highlights some key differences between the two systems. In the upper two diagrams, signal A1/B3 can only show red and yellow aspects, whilst B2 can display red and green. In the lower diagram, A1 can now show red, yellow and green, whilst B2 is restricted to red and yellow only. It makes signalling interesting and drivers' route knowledge essential.

If the diagram is upside down, its due to ipad to rmweb interface issues and nothing to do with our relative global locations!

Thanks Andy,

I may have confused about the colour light signals, but I see how the semaphores work now and I can  fix the the distant.

The colour light signals are on the other line I will take a pic though at the moment they don't work as I replaced a two aspect with two 3 aspect signals last year.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers Peter.

Nice work on the Point Rodding Peter, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out, not an easy job as I found out, but your is looking very tidy mate.

Thanks Andy,

Just the rodding to fit now. Hopefully I can get the ballast weathered up this week but I have to wire up some bufferstops first.

Cheers Peter.

Luvly job Peter on your rail freight 47

Thanks Neil, It's come out quite well. An Inter city duff will be next but that will be a while off.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Ballast done point rodding in and everthing given a clean and a quick test before I start weathering the ballast and painting the point rodding.

The first time I saw a Railfreight class 47 was on a ballast train near Sway one Sunday Morning so I thought it should be 358 fist job. 25244 arrived on the ballast train and 47358 has taken over to shunt the train.

Cheers Peter. 

Great work Peter.