Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Well the logical approach of the wiring says that it should be possible, but the only thing would be with 3-aspect signals the amber would be on both signals at the same time.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty, even looking at a rotary switch I am not sure how it would work getting the colours in the correct sequence.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter

there is a way of doing it using double pole on off switches for each signal, I'll try and draw a diagram for you

ian

Thanks Ian, 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Here is a wiring diagram for 3 aspect signals, hope you understand it as my drawing skills are not the best.

post-4712-0-30874300-1465291030_thumb.jpg

Basically each square represents a double pole on/on type switch, with the switch of signal 1 on then it is showing Red as are all the other signals, when you throw signal switch 1 the aspect displayed will then depend on the position of switch 2, if switch 2 is up with signal 2 at red then throwing switch 1 will cause a yellow to be displayed in signal 1 until switch 2 is thrown at which point signal 1 will go green and signal 2 will show yellow or green depending on the position of switch 3 and so on.

You will need a double pole on/on switch for each signal plus an extra switch for the storage yard to represent the next signal down the line otherwise you last visible signal will only ever show a yellow. alternatively the last visible signal could just be a 2 aspect so the wiring from the pole of the last switch would go to the green and not the yellow.

Hope this helps.

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Here is a wiring diagram for 3 aspect signals, hope you understand it as my drawing skills are not the best.

attachicon.gifSCAN010.jpg

Basically each square represents a double pole on/on type switch, with the switch of signal 1 on then it is showing Red as are all the other signals, when you throw signal switch 1 the aspect displayed will then depend on the position of switch 2, if switch 2 is up with signal 2 at red then throwing switch 1 will cause a yellow to be displayed in signal 1 until switch 2 is thrown at which point signal 1 will go green and signal 2 will show yellow or green depending on the position of switch 3 and so on.

You will need a double pole on/on switch for each signal plus an extra switch for the storage yard to represent the next signal down the line otherwise you last visible signal will only ever show a yellow. alternatively the last visible signal could just be a 2 aspect so the wiring from the pole of the last switch would go to the green and not the yellow.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for taking the time to do this for me. I quite like how it works too, I have two 3 aspect signals so would need 3 switches I can put them together where the switch is for the one I removed on the main panel. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Ian

Very impressed with this one Ian, so simple!  I have been trying things via a different approach using IC Logic gates http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106602-family-8x4-oo-layout-scenery-track-ballasting-and-signalling/?p=2313390.  Still very much WIP.

If I may add a couple of extra images (modified from yours) which may be of interest to you Peter.  One shows how it could be modified to incorporate an Auto signal. 

post-4412-0-51537600-1465336799.jpg

This one shows how the switches set the signal sequence in the direction of travel towards a Red signal.

post-4412-0-97011000-1465336812.jpg

The modified circuit to incorporate an Auto signal.  With this one, the Auto signal will not show a Red Aspect, which means the preceding signal will never need to show a Yellow aspect.  This saves one switch and brings a nice touch to the signal operation I think.

Obviously, I say the Auto will not show a red, in the real world it will go to red once a train passes it and then sequence through to green accordingly.

• Like 1

Hi Jaggzuk

interesting to see your revised circuit, but, all you've really done is turn signal 2 into a 2 aspect distant signal, in which case signalling wise signal 1 would also have been a 2 aspect signal. In any case prototypically there wouldn't have been an auto signal as close to the station as Llanbournes is.

Ian

Edited by ianwales

Ian, fair comment, I guess I was not thinking of the signals in use on Llanbournes more rather the fact that with your simple switch idea you could achieve some level of having Auto signals between Controlled signals.

• Like 1

Yes, that more general idea may have uses on my layout when I get the upper level going.

I may also adapt Ian's and Jaggzuk's ideas for the 2-aspect signalling on the lower LT level.

Very useful diagrams, guys. Thanks.

Hi

The other thing to remember is that auto signals would only be used on plain line, if there is any pointwork ahead of the signal then that would be a controlled signal, all be it some of which have the facility for auto working.

Ian

Thanks Guys,

I only have the two signals so will probably go the simpler option. I just need to see if I can find somewhere local to get the switches.

Cheers Peter.

Always had a soft spot for the 56s. The scenic work looks very realistic Peter.

Thanks Jim, 

Westbury was the best spot for 56s down my way though we did get them over Eastleigh a fair bit on stone traffic. It was mostly the WR loco's though we did get a few Totton ones down our way when the miners strike was on.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-56257200-1465812534_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Scenic's look spot on Peter, and a Dirty Banger Blue 56, :O well that's just the business mate. :sungum:  :sungum:

Thanks Andy,

If you think the grass looks good then I am happy, you are a bit of a wiz with the static grass so I am glad you like it.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-29260700-1465813077_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Just had a catch up Peter and the new shots are looking as good as ever.  The 56 and the earlier 47 shots are very convincing.  If only we had a locomotive scene like that today.  In most of the country it's a rarity to even see a locomotive.  Hope the shed isn't too cold in this weather.

• Like 1

Thanks Jim,

Westbury was the best spot for 56s down my way though we did get them over Eastleigh a fair bit on stone traffic. It was mostly the WR loco's though we did get a few Totton ones down our way when the miners strike was on.

Cheers Peter.

I remember I saw my first pair at Longsight in about 1985 and being amazed. I have no idea what they were doing there - possibly in conjunction with Stanlow oil traffic. Edited by Jim76
  • Like 1

Just had a catch up Peter and the new shots are looking as good as ever.  The 56 and the earlier 47 shots are very convincing.  If only we had a locomotive scene like that today.  In most of the country it's a rarity to even see a locomotive.  Hope the shed isn't too cold in this weather.

Thanks Rick,

I will be having a look myself in September we ended up flying with Royal Brunei we got cheap flight but with two stops just over $1200 each. 

The shed has been a bit cold but the heater takes the chill off. 

Cheers Peter.

Loving the 56

David

Thanks Mate.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rick,

I will be having a look myself in September we ended up flying with Royal Brunei we got cheap flight but with two stops just over $1200 each. 

Cheers Peter.

Misread this, thought it said Royal Brunel ...! :O

• Like 1

You won't be dissapointed with Royal Brunei Peter - I thought they were very good and the two stops a bonus.

The only drawback is no in-flight drinks service but they're the only airline I know of who turn a blind eye to drinking your duty free. There is a whole stall at Melbourne set up for it just for the one flight a day. Make sure you drink it by Brunei tho on the way out or Dubai on the way back as they confiscate it. You can then sleep the rest of the way lol

Edited by Jim76

You won't be dissapointed with Royal Brunei Peter - I thought they were very good and the two stops a bonus.

The only drawback is no in-flight drinks service but they're the only airline I know of who turn a blind eye to drinking your duty free. There is a whole stall at Melbourne set up for it just for the one flight a day. Make sure you drink it by Brunei tho on the way out or Dubai on the way back as they confiscate it. You can then sleep the rest of the way lol

Thanks Jim,

That's good to know, I have heard good and not so good. I never drink too much on planes it saves getting up to go to the toilet all the time. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

No first-hand experience here of Royal Brunei but I know they are a dry airline.  Quaffing the Emirates offerings never caused me to need excessive trips up the aisle but we're all different ;)

You're on a 787 Dreamliner all the way on RB which I also have yet to experience and have received both good and bad reports of with other airlines.  I have too much loyalty built up with Emirates to currently shop elsewhere and I'm a huge fan of their A380 Airbuses.  

The B787 Dreamliner is a superb aircraft. Not been on the A380 though I would like to. The only other downside to RB was having to change flights in Bandar Seri Begawan airport which was a bit of a dump but they were doing work last time I was there 2 years ago so maybe it's improved?