Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Pete,

Superb 47s, which just reaffirm my love for your layout. The 3rd picture summarises perfectly what it is that I love - it's such a brilliant recreation of the real thing and yet you've done it with ready to run stock on Peco track. Achievable brilliance and therefore genuinely inspirational.

Which manufacturer(s) do you use for your 47s (other than Brush)? They are the one loco class that I really can't make my mind up on which way to go. I think the Vi-trains version really captures the front end of a 47, but is hard to get hold of in the liveries I want, the Bachmann seems to have many issues (not least the window rivets) and even the old Lima model can be made to look good, although I guess its performance isn't up to modern standards. I've pretty much ruled out the old Hornby version!

Also, when did the TPOs start to go into Royal Mail red? I'm also intrigued by your blue / grey TPO in the final shot, as I'd not realy considered them an option for my own 1986 timeframe, but I guess they must have been about.

Once again though, great pictures. I'm looking forward to the next class!

Andy

• Like 2

Some interesting pics and projects there, Peter. I've just bought a couple of Large Logo Bachmann 47s for conversion to Scottish locos. The flush front/headcode combinations are a bit of a minefield sometimes! Looking forward to watching your project develop.

I've also bought a couple of Mk 3 Transits too. The Mk 3s were introduced in '86 I believe, so good for late 80s layouts. I'm not sure about the Royal Mail livery, but I'm guessing the BR livery is good for that period. I'd be interested to know when the Royal Mail livery was introduced, as it does look smart.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I will keep an eye out for the new 47s I bought one recently too couldn't resist another Large Logo loco. The headcode combinations are a minefield as are other detail differences. I haven't had time to do any more research on the Royal Mail van  yet though I am sure it will be ok for 86-87.

Cheers Peter.

Another way to control multi-aspect signals is the "cheat" I used on Hillside Depot many years ago to avoid a rotary switch. I used an on-on switch, which controlled Stop and Clear indications. The wire from the clear side was then routed via a random point motor which had a PL13 switch (also an on-on) attached and would switch the clear supply to show yellow or green at the signal. I gave some thought to which the most likely clear aspect was for each signal, and which way the point was most likely to be left so that gave the majority setting. It was possible to set the point to give the aspect the operator wanted, but in reality green or yellow appeared at "random".

On reflection, from a wiring point of view a rotary switch might have been easier, but the ability to clear the signal and not be too sure whether it would be yellow or green had a certain "play value".

As for the Transits, Ford changed the model just as the bus industry was being de-regulated (26th October 1986) and privatised and the National Bus Company bought all the remaining production capacity for the old model which became "bread-van" minibuses, largely on C-plates. Whatever we might think of the minibus revolution the old style Transit was a very robust vehicle, surprising even Ford in its longevity. So much so that they bought back one of the Devon General examples  for their own museum!  

Thanks Adrian,

I think I might look into the rotary switches for the signals though I need work out which type to get. Interesting gen on the Transits too I think I will just give mine a light weathering and change the reg.

Cheers Peter.

Need a LOVE IT / THEM button, as one UP from just plain old Like as that doesn't do the pics above justice.

Thanks for some great images Peter.

I might get my Blue Fleet out later and do something with them on North Road.

Cheers. A.

Thanks Andy, Get that blue fleet out and give them a run. lol

Cheers Peter.

We need more Stratford locos across the country! Very nice photos, indeed.....

Best, Pete.

Thanks Pete,

Slight problem with my 47570 is that it's has no motor. It's a Lima model which I did years ago I took the motor out last year to have the loco as a dummy.

Cheers Peter. 

The first picture just does it for me with 106 and a Depressed Vee, just a typical 47.

The other one is the Stratford loco, simply stunning.

Andrew is quite right, we do need a better button than just 'LIKE'.

I have retained in all, 7 x 47's, 3 x 37's and a 31, and I've just purchased a loft ladder!!!!!

So you never know...............................

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

Glad to see you kept a few of you 00 loco's. Though I am loving the 7mm stuff you are doing.

Cheers Peter.

Pete,

Superb 47s, which just reaffirm my love for your layout. The 3rd picture summarises perfectly what it is that I love - it's such a brilliant recreation of the real thing and yet you've done it with ready to run stock on Peco track. Achievable brilliance and therefore genuinely inspirational.

Which manufacturer(s) do you use for your 47s (other than Brush)? They are the one loco class that I really can't make my mind up on which way to go. I think the Vi-trains version really captures the front end of a 47, but is hard to get hold of in the liveries I want, the Bachmann seems to have many issues (not least the window rivets) and even the old Lima model can be made to look good, although I guess its performance isn't up to modern standards. I've pretty much ruled out the old Hornby version!

Also, when did the TPOs start to go into Royal Mail red? I'm also intrigued by your blue / grey TPO in the final shot, as I'd not realy considered them an option for my own 1986 timeframe, but I guess they must have been about.

Once again though, great pictures. I'm looking forward to the next class!

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Kind words indeed, Cheque is in the mail. lol

My class 47 are Bachmann and one Lima. The Heljan and Vi-trains class 47 are good too though for me the Bachmann one looks right and runs the best. The newer models don't have the rivets round the windows which can be removed without too much trouble on the older models. My three blue loco's are all the early model  model and with a bit of extra work they have come up well. 

The blue grey TPOs were about in the 80s and there was a Daily TPO working to Holyhead. The red livery came out at the end of 86 I think. 

Cheers Peter.

Peter, the humble Mk3 Transit appeared in January 1986, so earliest examples would have been on a "C" plate. I don't, however, know if the Royal Mail were instant users of it, so the earliest RM example might be on a slightly later plate.

Pete.

The Mk3 Transit was not bought in great numbers by BR before 1990,because the Sherpa was cheaper, but a few minibuses came, as photo of a D reg. at Valley.

The reason for the H reg. by Oxford was the only shot I have of this one at Warrington Arpley S&T yard.

Unfortunately I can find no registration for a long wheelbase van any earlier. Livery in 1986 would have been the same but without the S&T sticker.

Merf.

post-1625-0-41340100-1464355502_thumb.jpgpost-1625-0-05003700-1464355507_thumb.jpg 

Llandudno Junction, not Valley

Edited by Merfyn Jones
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

Superb images - several of those are so realistic.  Really good to see you posting pictures of the layout again.  Looks superb!

EDIT: Struggling to find that wiring diagram, but looking at what others have posted, I tend to agree with you - a rotary switch could be the best and easiest way forward!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

The Mk3 Transit was not bought in great numbers by BR before 1990,because the Sherpa was cheaper, but a few minibuses came, as photo of a D reg. at Valley.

The reason for the H reg. by Oxford was the only shot I have of this one at Warrington Arpley S&T yard.

Unfortunately I can find no registration for a long wheelbase van any earlier. Livery in 1986 would have been the same but without the S&T sticker.

Merf.

attachicon.gifD824TRB.jpgattachicon.gifH344XRA.jpg

Llandudno Junction, not Valley

Thanks Merf,

Thought you might know the gen on Transits. I think I will keep it as it doesn't look out of place. I have a Sherpa kit to do they did seem to be more common.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Superb images - several of those are so realistic.  Really good to see you posting pictures of the layout again.  Looks superb!

EDIT: Struggling to find that wiring diagram, but looking at what others have posted, I tend to agree with you - a rotary switch could be the best and easiest way forward!

Rich

Thanks Rich,

No worries re the wiring diagram I will do some more research on what rotary switch I need as I like the idea of having both signal linked together.

Cheers Peter. 

Thanks Merf,

Thought you might know the gen on Transits. I think I will keep it as it doesn't look out of place. I have a Sherpa kit to do they did seem to be more common.

Cheers Peter.

Best get a move on with the Sherpa.....Oxford have announced them :) 

• Like 1

Best get a move on with the Sherpa.....Oxford have announced them :)

Or not bother, wait for the Oxford one and get on with other projects. :locomotive:

Thanks cheers Peter.

• Like 3

Hi Peter, am loving your latest 47 feature - real 'unsung heroes' of British Rail lol - though they do get a bad press... What is the conversion project going to be - or is it secret?! ;-)

Hi Peter, am loving your latest 47 feature - real 'unsung heroes' of British Rail lol - though they do get a bad press... What is the conversion project going to be - or is it secret?! ;-)

Thanks Jim, Where did I mention a conversion project? I have a couple of class 47 on the work bench and some signals but that's it at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Jim, Where did I mention a conversion project? I have a couple of class 47 on the work bench and some signals but that's it at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

Ah is 47 636 - you also mentioned you got a new LL 47.

Ah is 47 636 - you also mentioned you got a new LL 47.

Oh yes the only loco I have bought this year is Bachmann's 47436 it will be changed to 47455 a pretty standard Crewe based Duff. Unlike 47636 which will have black headcodes ploughs and Scotty Dog. No work on the loco's this week as I have been doing some scenery playing aroung with some static grass.

Hope you are all well. Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

The 3-way toggle switches from Adrian at Railroom Electronics are here:

http://www.railroomelectronics.co.uk/Switches/Miniature-Toggle-Switches/Product-82830.aspx

Product code: 100545

I have the wiring diagram somewhere and I'll scan it and I'll post it on here. But the simplicity of them is that set to top it's a red aspect, middle is amber and bottom is green, so you have a visible referance.

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

So class 47s, Brush 4s or Duffs or Rancid Spoons depending on whether or not you liked them were pretty much everywhere during the mid 80s. They worked anything from single wagon trip workings to class 1 passenger trains travelling almost the length of the UK.

I wasn't a fan  back in the day but once I started to work on the railway I realised what reliable and useful loco's they were. As a shunter I spent a bit of time in the cab and had several runs down the Fawley and back even had a doze while waiting for the road up the yard.

Llanbourne's class 47 are kept pretty busy. There are too many diagrams to mention but all Euston- Holyhead trains are booked 47/4 one Trans- Pennine duty is booked a 47/4 to Llanbourne the loco works a return trip to Man Vic. The 4D05 vans from Manchester  to Bangor and return is also a class 47/4.

The daily 7D14 Speedlink from Warrington is booked a 47/0 this loco also works the trip to Holyhead before returning to Warrington.

Class 47s can also turn up on any other working vice other motive power.

47106  CD, 47418  GD, 47515 I OC. 47535 R BS, 47561  CD, 47570 SF, 47613 I CD.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

All look superb, great to see your '47' photos on here.  Oh if only for a time machine eh! Just spent an enjoyable 15 mins catching up on the thread :)  Keep up the good work.

Rich

Hi Peter,

The 3-way toggle switches from Adrian at Railroom Electronics are here:

http://www.railroomelectronics.co.uk/Switches/Miniature-Toggle-Switches/Product-82830.aspx

Product code: 100545

I have the wiring diagram somewhere and I'll scan it and I'll post it on here. But the simplicity of them is that set to top it's a red aspect, middle is amber and bottom is green, so you have a visible referance.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Thanks for the link. Says out of stock at the moment though so will try another time. Quick question you might know, do you think it would be possible to add another signal to the one switch so when one is red the other is orange etc?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

All look superb, great to see your '47' photos on here.  Oh if only for a time machine eh! Just spent an enjoyable 15 mins catching up on the thread :)  Keep up the good work.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

I think the nearest we will get to a time machine is going out and running trains from the 80s on our layouts.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Jinty,

Thanks for the link. Says out of stock at the moment though so will try another time. Quick question you might know, do you think it would be possible to add another signal to the one switch so when one is red the other is orange etc?

Cheers Peter.

Well the logical approach of the wiring says that it should be possible, but the only thing would be with 3-aspect signals the amber would be on both signals at the same time.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty,

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

there is a way of doing it using double pole on off switches for each signal, I'll try and draw a diagram for you

ian