Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Happy New Year to you and your family Peter

Sounds as though we're both having a few modelling issues at present.  I can't really advise on a small compressor as mine is already way too big and ideally needs to be replaced with a small one itself.  Anyone want a medium-sized compressor which is too big for airbrushing comfortably?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year.

Not the best start for me regarding model railways. I have been working on a 108 DMU and sprayed the roof today with some matt varnish and its has crazed the paint underneath. 

I am totally over using spray cans so I need to get a spray gun. I have a compressor but like the idea of the newer ones that come with a small compressor. Any info on whats any good would be helpful.

Cheers Peter. 

Happy New Year to you as well Peter.

That's bad news about the spray. I've had similar problems in the past, particularly with some types of grey paint as it happens (Railmatch BR Freight Grey was the worst example). I now use Wattyl's Estapol Matt aerosol which seems to be OK.

Hi Peter, That is heartbreaking when that happens.

As for compressors I use one of these and have done for years with no issues whatsoever. The header tank ensures no pulsing in the air feed. Only cost me about £100 and they can be gotten cheaper nowadays. Highly recommended.

post-6894-0-94128100-1451644798.jpg

As for airbrushes, I have owned many different ones over the years including Iwata and although some people swear by the expensive ones I haven't found the need to splash out so much for the type of painting we do. If you were doing airbrush art on a motorbike tank or something then maybe there is a case but I find the cheap chinese copy's perfectly fine for the job once the needle has been polished (You need top polish Iwata ones too in my experience so not a cheap brush issue). The difference is that the seals tend to degrade faster in the cheap ones (this also includes the Iwata Neo which is basically a cheap airbrush with Iwata on it but 4 times the cost) but new sets of seals are cheap to replace, in fact a new complete brush can be gotten of ebay for about £10 to £20. I would always go for a dual action version though.

Just my 2 penneth on the matter.

Edited by RBE

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear you're not having such a good modelling time too, it seems that Rick isn't having such a good time either.

I can't advise on compressors as I bought mine ages ago which is quite small but is on its way out.  I shall be watching to see what you get then may follow your lead ;)

(Having just seen Cav's post.... that's the one I have!!)

All the best for 2016

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills

If you look around paint suppliers to the motor trade you will find small sprayguns. I haven't used them but if my ancient DeVilbis Type MP is anything to go by, it should be possible to purchase a small needle and tip for fine spraying of the kind needed for small scale models. These guns are built to last. Spray at between 20 and 25psi but your initial task is discovering how thin to mix your paint. I cannot give any recommendations simply becasue paint comes in varying consistencies. This is especially true of cellulose these days. But once mastered, you will never use a brush again.

Edited by coachmann

Thanks Guys,

A mate of mine has a cheaper chinese  gun and compressor and thinks it's pretty good, I am pretty sure his doesn't have the header tank though. I did find one on ebay which I will do some further research on. There does seem to be some complete kits out there and I have been looking at double action guns it does seem to be the way to go.

I will ask my mate where he got his. How important is the header tank?

Cheers Peter.

How important is the header tank?

Very. It builds up air in reserve and enables you to draw on it at any pressure you wish (if it has a control valve of course). It should ideally have a sink for collecting the moisture that is pressurized out of the compressed air, which you should drain off occasionally................ You dont want moisture in the air that propels your paint.

Edited by coachmann

Very. It builds up air in reserve and enables you to draw on it at any pressure you wish (if it has a control valve of course). It should ideally have a sink for collecting the moisture that is pressurized out of the compressed air, which you should drain off occasionally................ You dont want moisture in the air that propels your paint.

Thanks Coachman,

I might dig my old compressor out of the shed rather than buy a cheap small one. I have some hose out there somewhere too. I will buy a gun and see how I go. 

I will look out for an Air gun though I think I should be calling it an airbrush. 

Any brands I should look out for. Cav said the chinese ones are pretty good.

Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter

Happy New Year to you and you're family. More superb photo's to enjoy. Very nice indeed. Sorry to here about your painting issues. I had something similar happen when I was did the first roof on that Mk 1 charter rake I did for KoLW. Luckily I had a spare Lima B&G coach that I nicked the roof of and repainted. It is rather soul destroying when something like that happens.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted soon.

All the best for 2016

Cheers

Marcus

Hello Peter

Happy New Year to you and you're family. More superb photo's to enjoy. Very nice indeed. Sorry to here about your painting issues. I had something similar happen when I was did the first roof on that Mk 1 charter rake I did for KoLW. Luckily I had a spare Lima B&G coach that I nicked the roof of and repainted. It is rather soul destroying when something like that happens.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted soon.

All the best for 2016

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks  Marcus,

Just posted on your thread looking good.

Had another go at the DMU today. I smoothed off the roofs and repainted them yesterday, today I tried the varnish again but used a different brand. It worked a lot better but once dried I noticed a few small white dots which must have come out of the spray can. I let it all dry and have used some fine wet and dry to remove the white dots. It's not ideal but roofs were never perfect and it looks quite good now I have wiped the roofs over with a damp cotton bud.

I will post a few pics when I get the chance.

Happy New Year, cheers Peter.

Happy new year to you and yours great photos like the first, my plans for modelling on hold due to ill health all over xmas new year for both of us but on the mend slowly .

Hi Imsforever,

Hope you are well now and getting back into some modelling.

All the best Peter.

Luv the shot with the 37 driver leaning on the window... :senile: :locomotive:

Thanks Mate,

I have done a few like this. I use the Dapol railway workers and chop them about a bit to suit my needs.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Happy New Year Peter. As usual your photos are an inspiration, particularly those modelling the BR Blue period.

Thanks Alan,

Happy New Year to you and your family. I need to find my mojo for doing some buildings, it seems you have no trouble your station area is looking great.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, a Happy New Year to you and all your Family, Your pics above are superb mate, especially the Rat with just 2 Tanks, awesome.

All the best for 2016 and beyond.

Thanks Andy,

All the best Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The class 108 DMU I have been working on is now finished and despite the roof problems it looks pretty good and is now ready to run with my other units. 

I have also sprayed the roof on my MK1  RMB  and weathered it up. Problem is when put in the rake with my Dapol  air cons it sits to high. I tried some B4 bogies from a Replica MK1 BG and the coach sits at the right height so I will use these and convert the coach to an air brake vehicle.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, the RMB will need to be air-braked to run with the Mk 2d rake of course. According to my 1986 ABC combined volume only M1805 had B4s - all the others listed had Commonwealths.

Peter, the RMB will need to be air-braked to run with the Mk 2d rake of course. According to my 1986 ABC combined volume only M1805 had B4s - all the others listed had Commonwealths.

Spot on John,

I asked the question in another thread about these coaches and B4 bogies. m1805 will be the number of the coach and I will be removing the vac gear and replacing it with a Distributor and Cylinder. 

Cheers Peter.

The class 108 DMU I have been working on is now finished and despite the roof problems it looks pretty good and is now ready to run with my other units. 

I have also sprayed the roof on my MK1  RMB  and weathered it up. Problem is when put in the rake with my Dapol  air cons it sits to high. I tried some B4 bogies from a Replica MK1 BG and the coach sits at the right height so I will use these and convert the coach to an air brake vehicle.

Cheers Peter.

Lovely stuff Peter, especially with the RMB.  :paint: