Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

20 165. Another one we share Peter!(I run it on Coppell though.)

Hi Kev,

I was looking for a railfreight class 20 with orange cantrail line and 165 was chosen I actually have a few pics of the loco at Tinsley not long before it was withdrawn although my 165 will be in better condition to suit my 86/7 time frame.

Did I see a pic of your 20165 on your new layout build?

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Kev,

I was looking for a railfreight class 20 with orange cantrail line and 165 was chosen I actually have a few pics of the loco at Tinsley not long before it was withdrawn although my 165 will be in better condition to suit my 86/7 time frame.

Did I see a pic of your 20165 on your new layout build?

Cheers Peter. 

Your right Peter. It did make an appearance in the Parrot Hall thread! Kev.

I look forward to seeing your next pair of 20s Peter. This is right up your street:

6113253615_189a175564.jpg20118 and 20165 by Keith, on Flickr

A bit late for Llanbourne but a nice photo nevertheless!

Nice Pic Alex,

My 20165 will be pre Thornaby allocation so wont have the Kingfisher or bufferbeam numbers.

Cheers Peter.

Your right Peter. It did make an appearance in the Parrot Hall thread! Kev.

No worries Kev. Thought I saw it. The layout is coming on well too looks great.

I have dug out my class 20s and they don't need much work really, I think whats stopping me is fitting the sound chip and speakers as I will have too hard wire the chip in as I don't have much room. I have some sugar cube speakers so hope they will fit in the powered loco. The supplied one can go in the dummy.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-60007300-1450515282_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-31506500-1450515545_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

My pair have a Bachmann sound-fitted powered unit (so speaker remains as supplied) and a large bass reflex speaker in the dummy unit, wired between the locomotives in parallel with a 2-pin connector.

The sugar cube speakers weren't available (to my knowledge) at the time I did mine. One or two of those will probably give a better sound than mine, given the space constraints (mine sounds rather weak and tinny when the bass reflex one is disconnected).

Bryan of Howes did a special twin-start sound file for me at the time.

Thanks Jeff,

I am hoping if I hard wire the chip in  I will have enough room for a sugar cube speaker in the powered loco. I have a two pin connector to through wire into the dummy loco.I think another sugar cube speaker will be ok, as I am not sure mixing different ones will work.

Cheers Peter.

I prefer to mix the types so I can take advantage of the bass or treble qualities to give a better overall mix of sound frequencies.

Well I could try the round one in the dummy if you think that might work.

Cheers Peter.

Check the impedances, but usually they are 8 ohm, so connecting in parallel is the way to go. If the round one is 4 ohm, it will need to be connected in series with the sugar cube (which are all, to the best of my knowledge, 8 ohm).

Be prepared to experiment a bit as some speaker combinations work very much better than others. For balance, I prefer to mix the same impedances, so two 8 ohm ones would be my preference. 

I know I have said this before, but finding the right speakers and combinations of speakers for any given sound project is very much a trial and error thing, with getting the best out of sound projects being something of a black art rather than a science, because of the vastly different installation parameters involved with model trains.

One thing I do recommend as being a "must do" is to seal the speakers and enclosures properly. Even the most feeble speaker is improved by that simple task. Blu-tac is fine for this, "black-tack" (Homelux Bath Seal) is even better as it is stickier and more flexible.

Edited by SRman

Check the impedances, but usually they are 8 ohm, so connecting in parallel is the way to go. If the round one is 4 ohm, it will need to be connected in series with the sugar cube (which are all, to the best of my knowledge, 8 ohm).

Be prepared to experiment a bit as some speaker combinations work very much better than others. For balance, I prefer to mix the same impedances, so two 8 ohm ones would be my preference. 

I know I have said this before, but finding the right speakers and combinations of speakers for any given sound project is very much a trial and error thing, with getting the best out of sound projects being something of a black art rather than a science, because of the vastly different installation parameters involved with model trains.

One thing I do recommend as being a "must do" is to seal the speakers and enclosures properly. Even the most feeble speaker is improved by that simple task. Blu-tac is fine for this, "black-tack" (Homelux Bath Seal) is even better as it is stickier and more flexible.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks again for the info, I will have a look in the next few days I have been a bit busy this week.

Cheers Peter.

Merry Christmas everyone. Thanks for all the comments  and likes through the year it all helps to keep me motivated to keep going.

All the Best Peter.

Pic below shows Preserved K163 working a Santa Special on my local Pres line.

post-7022-0-57920500-1450867238_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Merry Christmas to you and the family Peter and thanks for keeping us enthused with your work.  Thanks also for the various gatherings hosted at Llanbourne which are always very enjoyable.

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year.

Not the best start for me regarding model railways. I have been working on a 108 DMU and sprayed the roof today with some matt varnish and its has crazed the paint underneath. 

I am totally over using spray cans so I need to get a spray gun. I have a compressor but like the idea of the newer ones that come with a small compressor. Any info on whats any good would be helpful.

Cheers Peter.