Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to 1T06 arriving at Llanbourne.  08.15 ex-Blythe Bridge and 17.14 return - 2x20 booked.  Summer midweek service which ran for a few years in the mid 80s.  Some years it ran through from / to Derby though others the ECS came from / ran back direct to Etches Park.

56002 in the dirt at 7 minutes for good measure ;)

I even managed a couple of rides myself.  Early turn at Euston, down afternoon to Crewe then Llandudno Junction then down the branch.  Just enough time to jump on behind the 20s for a ride to Stoke and a late up London - there was never time to reach Derby though.  One of those trips also produced a large red kettle coming up along the coast which we passed somewhere near Colwyn Bay.  I didn't think a pair of 20s would produced thousands of lineside gricers and I was right.  By the time we got back they'd gone as they were only out for the kettle!.

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 6

If not a Heljan a JLTRT kit?

Ok my old 1983 Platform 5 spotter books tells me 20045 and 20085 were vp  Vac brake through steam piped. One pic I found of 085 shows a hole just below the Air brake pipe, so would guess thats where it would have been and probably removed when in works being fitted with air brakes.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Ahhhhh... you guessed :D

Thanks for the gen on 045 and 085.  I have just seen a picture taken by Brian Daniels on Flickr of 085 and it shows a hole in the buffer beam between the coupling and MU cable.

There are some nice photos of 085 online in a very shoddy state..... quite appealing :)

Interestingly, neither 045 or 085 carried the scotty dog emblem.  How odd!!!

Cheers

Lee

Edited by HealeyMills

Looking forward to 1T06 arriving at Llanbourne.  08.15 ex-Blythe Bridge and 17.14 return - 2x20 booked.  Summer midweek service which ran for a few years in the mid 80s.  Some years it ran through from / to Derby though others the ECS came from / ran back direct to Etches Park.

56002 in the dirt at 7 minutes for good measure ;)

I even managed a couple of rides myself.  Early turn at Euston, down afternoon to Crewe then Llandudno Junction then down the branch.  Just enough time to jump on behind the 20s for a ride to Stoke and a late up London - there was never time to reach Derby though.  One of those trips also produced a large red kettle coming up along the coast which we passed somewhere near Colwyn Bay.  I didn't think a pair of 20s would produced thousands of lineside gricers and I was right.  By the time we got back they'd gone as they were only out for the kettle!.

Thanks for posting up the video Rick,

The 56 is well and truly off the road. It seems the length of train varies too from 3 to 6 or 7 MK2s. Obviously I am cheating a bit as this train ran in the late 80s early 90s so a bit out of my time period by my 20s look quite good on the MK1 rake.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

Ahhhhh... you guessed :D

Thanks for the gen on 045 and 085.  I have just seen a picture taken by Brian Daniels on Flickr of 085 and it shows a hole in the buffer beam between the coupling and MU cable.

There are some nice photos of 085 online in a very shoddy state..... quite appealing :)

Interestingly, neither 045 or 085 carried the scotty dog emblem.  How odd!!!

Cheers

Lee

Tell you what Lee, Brian Daniels has done some very nice work on his JLTRT 20s too as well as having the great pics from back in the day.

Glad the gen was of use, as for lack of scotty dog I think they were less common in 83 84 it was mainly the namers that had them. It seems by 85 though that a lot more loco's started to get them along with the Haymarket Castle and Inverness Stag.

Forgot to mention in my other post. We are planning a trip back to the UK next September, not sure what diesel gala's are on then but it would be good to get a bit of haulage in.

Cheers Peter.

I didn't think a pair of 20s would produced thousands of lineside gricers and I was right.  By the time we got back they'd gone as they were only out for the kettle!.​

Well maybe not thousands Gwiwer, but I was there !

attachicon.gif20199 + 20202 Colwyn Bay 26-9-1989 .jpg

attachicon.gif20199 + 20202 Colwyn Bay 26-9-1989.jpg

Nice shot Merf,

I bet they were moving with only 3 on.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

I remember the train being a Derby-based 6-set of Mk1 / early Mk 2 stock.  Obvisouly other photos show it at different times and the double-headed three-car rake really is super-powered!!!

Tell you what Lee, Brian Daniels has done some very nice work on his JLTRT 20s too as well as having the great pics from back in the day.

Forgot to mention in my other post. We are planning a trip back to the UK next September, not sure what diesel gala's are on then but it would be good to get a bit of haulage in.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes, I agree Brian's thread is a real inspiration tbh, so much that I have just placed my order for a JLTRT 20 & 40.  I told you I would finish that thread :D

I regretted selling my JLTRT 40 before, so now it's time to get it finished... along with a 20 which I shall start first  :dontknow:

I will keep an eye open for any galas or running days then and pass on the gen as soon as - we may even get to meet!

Keep up the good work on Llanbourne and in particular the great pics

Cheers

Lee

A quick check of the photo-diary showed I got a shot of 20135 & 20071 with the 08.11 Derby-Llandudno at Tennis Court Road, Abergele and also the return passing Maes Ddu distant signal (Llandudno). The big surprise of Gwiwer's  video was the derailed 56, as I never knew ow't about it.

Footnote : The first HST came down the following day on driver training, Nos.43013 and 43084 (with buffers).

Edited by coachmann

I remember the train being a Derby-based 6-set of Mk1 / early Mk 2 stock.  Obvisouly other photos show it at different times and the double-headed three-car rake really is super-powered!!!

Thanks Rick,

From what I have seen a mix of blue grey and NSE livery too.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes, I agree Brian's thread is a real inspiration tbh, so much that I have just placed my order for a JLTRT 20 & 40.  I told you I would finish that thread :D

I regretted selling my JLTRT 40 before, so now it's time to get it finished... along with a 20 which I shall start first  :dontknow:

I will keep an eye open for any galas or running days then and pass on the gen as soon as - we may even get to meet!

Keep up the good work on Llanbourne and in particular the great pics

Cheers

Lee

I am just glad you are getting back into modelling again Lee.,  Great to hear you are getting another class 40. Are you going to do 135 again? 

It would be good to catch up. I would like more time at the East Lancs and we are planning on a few weeks in Scotland so I want to do Bo ness line.

Cheers Peter.

A quick check of the photo-diary showed I got a shot of 20135 & 20071 with the 08.11 Derby-Llandudno at Tennis Court Road, Abergele and also the return passing Maes Ddu distant signal (Llandudno). The big surprise of Gwiwer's  video was the derailed 56, as I never knew ow't about it.

Footnote : The first HST came down the following day on driver training, Nos.43013 and 43084 (with buffers).

Hi Coachman,

I had another look at the video and I am not sure the class 56 is on the Coast. It looks nearer to Derby. It is well and truly in the dirt.

Cheers Peter.

I am just glad you are getting back into modelling again Lee.,  Great to hear you are getting another class 40. Are you going to do 135 again? 

It would be good to catch up. I would like more time at the East Lancs and we are planning on a few weeks in Scotland so I want to do Bo ness line.

Hi Peter,

Thank you - I'm looking forward to getting started again tbh. The loco will be 40118 and I intend to try to continue on the thread I started previously by building another, but with refinements from lessons learned from the first build.

Yes a catch up would be great. I can do ELR or Bo'ness... especially as 106 is there too!! Failing that there's always 37175 (my favorite tractor) :)

Cheers

Lee

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Thank you - I'm looking forward to getting started again tbh. The loco will be 40118 and I intend to try to continue on the thread I started previously by building another, but with refinements from lessons learned from the first build.

Yes a catch up would be great. I can do ELR or Bo'ness... especially as 106 is there too!! Failing that there's always 37175 (my favorite tractor) :)

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

looking forwards to the build of the class 20 and 40. 118 is a good choice one of the last in service too.

Wouldn't mind a class 26 or 27 haulage either but will have too see whats running.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

It's been three months of catching up but really enjoyed seeing the progress on the layout, the extension really adds to what I have always considered to be an excellent layout. The yard and fuel sidings look superb. I think the new scenic section also provides a really nice backdrop for trains going by. The engineers set a while back looks super.

All the best

Mark

Hi Peter,

It's been three months of catching up but really enjoyed seeing the progress on the layout, the extension really adds to what I have always considered to be an excellent layout. The yard and fuel sidings look superb. I think the new scenic section also provides a really nice backdrop for trains going by. The engineers set a while back looks super.

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark,

The new bit is looking quite good, I need to find some motivation to finish it but have lost interest at the moment.

What are you planning on doing railway wise I noticed your threads a bit quite.

Cheers Peter.

Another busy week. I haven't had much time on RMweb or in the garage, It's that time of year I guess. But I did get my 108 back together and running a lot better. I ended up taking the motor out of another one which I was planning to make a dummy to run with the others so while that's in bits I might do some work on it. Weathering paint interior etc.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-31437900-1449965416_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 15

Hello Peter

Sorry I haven't popped in for a while. Looks though I started something with the Class 20 picture. Some more great photo's of the layout. especially the Class 20's.

As for ours, they have been used on other trains occasionally but they are normally kept busy with the S Stock movements. which could be possibly getting even busier next year.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

Yet another excellent photo, Peter. I do like DMUs but in green.

Thanks Alan,

I don't mind them in green to be Honest. I repainted a Lima 117 green years ago. A 101 was repainted green in the early 90s and worked the North Wales line for a while.

Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter

Sorry I haven't popped in for a while. Looks though I started something with the Class 20 picture. Some more great photo's of the layout. especially the Class 20's.

As for ours, they have been used on other trains occasionally but they are normally kept busy with the S Stock movements. which could be possibly getting even busier next year.

Cheers

Marcus

No worries Marcus, Seems you have been busy working. 

Pleased to hear there is plenty of work for the 20s. I have another pair on the workbench to finish off. They have been there for over a year so I should make the effort to get them done.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Which locos will the 20's be? BR blue??????

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

20009 blue oval buffers Haymarket sign on nose doors. 20165 Railfreight grey Orange cantrail line. Currently been sat under the layout for over a year, nearly finished just waiting for sound chip and speakers to be fitted bufferbeam pipework.

Cheers Peter.