Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Correct. Prior to the revisions it did used to leave the Junction around 2.30pm. I think you have chosen an interesting period. You must have studied this as things look as they should be on your model.

Thanks Larry,

Sorry missed this post the other day.ohmy.gif High praise indeed, especially coming from someone who knows North Wales as well as you do.

Cheers Peter.

Just a couple of pics for you.

97407 (40012) well and truly on borrowed time, passes sister loco 40122 while working the 6D03 Ex Carnforth empty ballast. another shot shows 97407 while running round. 40122 is stabled next to 47418.

33202 is about to depart for Holyhead on the 1D27 Ex Crewe.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-128212702852_thumb.jpg

post-7022-128212718693_thumb.jpg

post-7022-128212734956_thumb.jpg

post-7022-128212752724_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

What a cracking layout.

I have just read a few pages during my lunch break, but have bookmarked it to read it all later.

The weathering, the layout & the scenery all look so realistic.

Congratulations!

Dave

Hi Peter,

That is a different angle to normal with the 47 and 40 in front of the brickwall - they look very good parked up like that as the plain colour really sets off the work worn weathering you have captured so well on them! I know just the sidings that engineers train has worked from at Carnforth as I use to pass them on the Barrow line although there were usually a few grubby 31's kicking about as I remember best!

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Dave, Glad you like it.biggrin.gif

Thanks Chard, The old Lima 40s don't come up to bad with a bit of work, I have a Bachmann 40 which I am planning to put a Lima body on at some point.

Hi Mark, If I had thought about it I would have painted some of the wall blue so that it would look like sky behind the loco's. rolleyes.gif

I know I have been past Carnforth but I don't have any memories of what it looked like. On my timetable the Carnforth ballast is booked a class 31 though I think 25 were quite common. 97407 must be filling in for a failed loco.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Back on page 22 I said I was changing the trackplan on the new section. I finished relaying and wiring the other week so played trains for about a week mainly to check the new section was going to work how I wanted it. Everthing worked well ohmy.gif though a few loco's needed a service and wheels cleaned.

Since then I have just been tinkering with a few wagons on the workbench. I should be getting on with a Bachmann 47 that 's in bits but felt like a change. I was also given some lights for the garage so I put them up last weekend and it has brightened up the extension and fiddle yard area a fair bit.

Pics below show 08472 shunting TTAs into the new oil terminal, and 33202 coupling up to some ECS.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-128360035365_thumb.jpg

post-7022-128360064594_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Pete,

After seeing them latest pics I want an 08, Just need to sort out getting it fitted with lights and sound!!!!1

Gary

Hi Gary,

Both my 08s are Hornby I think they have the edge over the Bachmann loco. I have seen a light fitted one though I think it would be a tight fit, sound would be good, not sure were you fit the speaker.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-128360334578_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi peter,

the 08 I was running about halfway through the Caolisport thread was DCC sound. It was hired in from a friend. I can get the gen on it if you like. Speaker placement etc etc.

Great shots. Not surprisingly I like your train reporting numbers adds realism.

cheerio

Claggy

Hi Peter,

The trackwork in the new section looks great with those sweeping curves and the tanks look good parked up some really nice weathering as well. Your 08 captures that well used oily grimed look so well, I really need an old banger blue 31/4 at some point in a similar condition. The sidings at Carnforth for your ballast trip are the ones that are alongside the Furness line to the west of the Junction area at the station just as the line has turned through 90 degrees roughly. Used to be full of catfish and dogfish wagons in various conditions with a few 31's for good measure most of the time back in the 80's and early 90's! I have an 08 with sound that I fitted - it was the early howes version on a normal chip as I think you can get a micro decoder now but don't know how the size compares. I put the decoder on top of the motor under the bonet and cut some notches in the cab buldhead for the speaker wires to pass under and the standard round speaker sits in the cab. Nice sound from it but I would really prefer to have a small decoder and speaker all under the bonnet - will be interesting to see the Hornby sound fitted model when that comes out as will save a lot of effort.

Great to see your updates as always,

Thanks,

Mark

Hi peter,

the 08 I was running about halfway through the Caolisport thread was DCC sound. It was hired in from a friend. I can get the gen on it if you like. Speaker placement etc etc.

Great shots. Not surprisingly I like your train reporting numbers adds realism.

cheerio

Claggy

Hi Claggy,

Thanks for the offer mate but a sound 08 is way down the list, I am not even DCC yet.ohmy.gif As Mark said Hornby are bringing one out so if that one is any good I could be tempted. I certainly spent plenty of time in the cab or on the front step flying up and down Eastleigh Yard on 08 and 09s, so do remember the sound quite well.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

The trackwork in the new section looks great with those sweeping curves and the tanks look good parked up some really nice weathering as well. Your 08 captures that well used oily grimed look so well, I really need an old banger blue 31/4 at some point in a similar condition. The sidings at Carnforth for your ballast trip are the ones that are alongside the Furness line to the west of the Junction area at the station just as the line has turned through 90 degrees roughly. Used to be full of catfish and dogfish wagons in various conditions with a few 31's for good measure most of the time back in the 80's and early 90's! I have an 08 with sound that I fitted - it was the early howes version on a normal chip as I think you can get a micro decoder now but don't know how the size compares. I put the decoder on top of the motor under the bonet and cut some notches in the cab buldhead for the speaker wires to pass under and the standard round speaker sits in the cab. Nice sound from it but I would really prefer to have a small decoder and speaker all under the bonnet - will be interesting to see the Hornby sound fitted model when that comes out as will save a lot of effort.

Great to see your updates as always,

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Just been looking at your thread, the brige has come up a treat, nice work.cool.gif

Thanks mate I am happy with the new section now, the sweeping curves was something I wanted to achieve, it would be nice if I had a bit more room to make the section longer but we can't have everything, I have more room than some.smile.gif I am happy with the oil terminal now and it's all wired up and working, so now it's down to senics and ballasting. I do have buildings to do on the station part of the layout so that should be next.

I have a blue 31/4 to do they used to get really dirty so you will have fun doing it when you get one.

Funny you mention Carnforth again I was looking through a book the other day and there is a nice pic of a class 25 on a rake of Dogfish Catfish and Sealions shunting in the yard, it's nice to see a pic of where some of Llanbourne's trains come from I am sure I have seen a pic somewhere with a 31 leaving on a ballast it looks like it was a busy place.

As I said to Claggy an 08 with sound is down the list a bit but i could be tempted with a Hornby one, if it's any good.

Cheers Peter.

Go on Peter make the move you wont regret it.

It will save you loads of wiring in the future.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I had this conversation a few pages back,biggrin.gif A few people over here have been trying to talk me round. They know who they are.laugh.gif It basically comes down to money at the moment and the amount of loco's I would have to chip. I do have a sound 25 and 47 though.biggrin.gif To be honest I have been thinking of building a small exhibition layout to run some blue diesels on as there is nothing in the Melbourne area. I would build this DCC and have a few sound loco's and I am pretty sure some friends would be happy to run theirs.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

It basically comes down to money at the moment and the amount of loco's I would have to chip

Convert your locos when you can, one at a time, and then when you have enough done, switch to DCC, you won't go back, trust me, I'm a docker :lol:

And change that signal box :P

Hi Pete,

I had this conversation a few pages back,biggrin.gif A few people over here have been trying to talk me round. They know who they are.laugh.gif It basically comes down to money at the moment and the amount of loco's I would have to chip. I do have a sound 25 and 47 though.biggrin.gif To be honest I have been thinking of building a small exhibition layout to run some blue diesels on as there is nothing in the Melbourne area. I would build this DCC and have a few sound loco's and I am pretty sure some friends would be happy to run theirs.

Cheers Peter.

Hey Pete,

If you want you are welcome to come over to Tassie and bring your locos to one of the shows over here, Would be good to see a few more sound locos on my layout, Still think the Class 150 from Howes is my best sound loco!!!

Gary

Hey Pete,

If you want you are welcome to come over to Tassie and bring your locos to one of the shows over here, Would be good to see a few more sound locos on my layout, Still think the Class 150 from Howes is my best sound loco!!!

Gary

Hi Gary,

I heard SRmans 150 and thought it was pretty good with the door close noise etc. I am thinking about a class 20 next, then send it off to hows for a reblow.

Cheers Peter.

Convert your locos when you can, one at a time, and then when you have enough done, switch to DCC, you won't go back, trust me, I'm a docker laugh.gif

And change that signal box tongue.gif

Hi Dave,

I think you are right, I did the same when I converted to Kadee's though they are cheaper than sound chips.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

Yes the Signal box, on my todo list. wink.gif

Come on Pete,

You know you want too. Now the talk of the exhibition layout! I don't know. Twas playing with the computer control yesterday I think you would be hooked in about 10 minutes! Old laptop, computer connection and you would be away! B) B) It would be just a question of which system. Go for the NCE. Then computer control and you wouldn't look back!

Come on Pete,

You know you want too. Now the talk of the exhibition layout! I don't know. Twas playing with the computer control yesterday I think you would be hooked in about 10 minutes! Old laptop, computer connection and you would be away! cool.gif cool.gif It would be just a question of which system. Go for the NCE. Then computer control and you wouldn't look back!

Hi Doug,

If I build an exhibition layout it would be just your basic DCC to control loco's . Computer control sounds like trouble to me, as I don't get on well with the things.angry.gif Plus I don't own a lap top let alone an old one. Far to easy to throw.wink.gif biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.

Peter

You can run a layout from your mobile phone now through DCC dependant on your DCC system, so you don't need a laptop or a computer for that matter you mobile is powerful enough biggrin.gif

Pete

Hi Pete,

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif My mobile is an old Nokia that was given to me by a friend when I threw my old one and broke the screen. I only found out the other day that it has a built in torch.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter.