Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Loving the latest progress looking great

David

Thanks David,

I have done a bit more on the oil terminal over the last few days. The pipework is weathered as is the pump house which is now glued down.

Pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

post-7022-0-67348900-1443952512_thumb.jpg

Hi all, our neighbour Clare did an amazing thing today. She let Leanne shave her head to raise money for breast cancer research. In the last few months just over $2500 has been rasied.

Leanne has finished her chemotherapy and is recovering well. 

Clare is leaving the donation link open for another 48 hours so if you would like to donate click on the link below...

http://nbcf-hostyourown.gofundraise.com.au/page/ClareKinsey

• Like 2

Some pics of the finished oil terminal. Plus a pic of a little spider found under the one of the outside chairs when I was having a clean up yesterday.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-47783700-1444047419_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-00529900-1444047470_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-52128000-1444047515_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-18062400-1444047564_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-02893900-1444047633_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

The oil terminal looks very good ,glad to hear your wife is doing well and what the heck is that spider?

Agreeing with the first two parts of the sentence   :) : for the last bit, the spider is known as a 'redback', which is very closely related to the 'black widow' spider, and rather venomous. While rarely fatal, the bite can be extremely nasty and can cause ongoing medical problems. Best left alone!!

Edited to correct redback as one word instead of two.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

Oil terminal?  Five stars.

Spider?  I find they are best given a swift tap on the head if you can't reach the Mortein* in time.  I have the "Spider" flavour permanently handy on the workbench.

* Popular brand of insecticide found in most homes here.

Edited by Gwiwer

Hi Peter

That's only a Redback - nasty bite (ask me how I know - twice !) but not a patch on the Funnel Webs we have up here in Sunny Sydney at present - ever seen a Funnel Web rearing up on its back legs, fangs extended ready to strike ? Makes a Redback look like an amateur ! They pack a very nasty bite (only once, in my late teens but that was way more than enough !) Kicked one of them out of my garage/layout room the other day - you don't spray a funnel web, you'll find it doesn't have much effect - Funnel Webs don't obligingly curl up and die like Redbacks and other spiders when you spray them, you can almost hear them laughing at you as you spray them... Best bet is to stomp them into oblivion - a good size nining will sort them out with a very satisfying crunch.

Anybody wants to see what a Funnel Web looks like, try googling/wikipedia-ing "Sydney Funnel Web Spider" - not reccommended reading just before bedtime though !

Best

Matthew

The oil terminal looks very good ,glad to hear your wife is doing well and what the heck is that spider?

Thanks,

As Jeff and Rick said it's a redback I get quite a few in the firewood pile but they are normally more black and red this one is a bit lighter in colour. 

Cheers Peter.

Agreeing with the first two parts of the sentence   :) : for the last bit, the spider is known as a 'redback', which is very closely related to the 'black widow' spider, and rather venomous. While rarely fatal, the bite can be extremely nasty and can cause ongoing medical problems. Best left alone!!

Edited to correct redback as one word instead of two.

Thanks Jeff,

Welcome back hope you had a good holiday. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Oil terminal?  Five stars.

Spider?  I find they are best given a swift tap on the head if you can't reach the Mortein* in time.  I have the "Spider" flavour permanently handy on the workbench.

* Popular brand of insecticide found in most homes here.

Thanks Rick,

I find a lot of spiders just walk away from the spray so i normally just squish them, though I leave Huntsman's alone or if they come inside catch them and put them outside. Normally over next doors fence.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi Peter

That's only a Redback - nasty bite (ask me how I know - twice !) but not a patch on the Funnel Webs we have up here in Sunny Sydney at present - ever seen a Funnel Web rearing up on its back legs, fangs extended ready to strike ? Makes a Redback look like an amateur ! They pack a very nasty bite (only once, in my late teens but that was way more than enough !) Kicked one of them out of my garage/layout room the other day - you don't spray a funnel web, you'll find it doesn't have much effect - Funnel Webs don't obligingly curl up and die like Redbacks and other spiders when you spray them, you can almost hear them laughing at you as you spray them... Best bet is to stomp them into oblivion - a good size nining will sort them out with a very satisfying crunch.

Anybody wants to see what a Funnel Web looks like, try googling/wikipedia-ing "Sydney Funnel Web Spider" - not reccommended reading just before bedtime though !

Best

Matthew

Hi Matt,

We do get Funnel webs here, we had one behind a board in the back yard for a while but seemed less feisty than your Sydney one. Huntsman Spider will have a go but their bit isn't too bad. Bullants will rear up and have a go too.

Cheers Peter.

Would never go to Australia mainly becuse l hate spiders, nice finish on the depot Pete...

Thanks George,

Australia isn't really that bad for spiders you would be ok. It's the SNAKES you have to watch out for. lol

To be honest I have only seen a few of them in the 18 years I have been here.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Glad you mentioned the snakes, we have the top 3 deadliest snakes in the world out here and another couple in the top 10 - used to work (many years ago on weekends as a volunteer) at a reptile park, got to go and rescue snakes from time to time if one of the regular fellers was off... So I've seen pretty much all of the bad boys the East Coast can offer, never been bitten by one though - never got close enough ! When I went out on rescues, it was as the driver only (wasn't a trained snake handler and turned down the offer of training more than once - funny that...)

Re Huntsman Spiders, yes they can give you a painful bite that'll hurt for up to 30 mins, but their venom is harmless to humans, nobody's ever needed hospital for a Huntsman bite, unless they've had an underlying health issue which has been amplified in some way by the bite. They're pretty docile as spiders go, I regularly pick them up in my hands and take them outside and release them into trees when they frighten female visitors in our unit stairwells - never been bitten by a Huntsman.

Best

Matthew

Huntsmen look fearsome but are actually useful in that they eat some of the other household pests, like cockroaches. Most huntsman bites are from females defending their eggs, which is when they get aggressive. As Matthew said, their bite is harmless to humans.

Do you want to know what preys on redbacks? Surprisingly enough, one of the predators is daddy long legs!

Hi

Yup the friendly old Daddy Long Legs is a spider predator - as is the domestic White Tailed Spider, a tiny little thing which can hide easily in the triangular hole which you'd use to hang a trowel or hand fork. White tails are dedicated spider killers but bite unsispecting humans occasionally and that can be disasterous (not usually fatal) for the human, not so much from the venom but a componant of it which causes a rather nasty and quite painful suppurating ulcer at the bite site, which can take up to 18 months to clear. No I've never been bitten by a white tail, had a couple of near misses though !

There's a bigger White Tail too, about the size of a Funnel Web, one of them killed a racehorse in its stable (Black Caviar's brother/half brother ?) last year - well the complications of its bite (infected ulcers which led to blood poisoning) caused the horse to be put down.

There's also the Mouse Spider, another spider hunter, as big as a Funnel Web and easily mistaken for one, although its venom isn't as nasty to humans as the Funnel Web's..

Rule of thumb for Aussie spiders - if its black or mostly black kill it without delay, any other colour, give it a wide berth just the same !

Sorry for the thread derailment Peter !

Best

Matthew

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The spider is more afraid of you than you are of it.  Always.  Including arachnophobics

I too have a wood pile (a common feature outside Australian homes as we can't burn coal but usually have plenty of logs) which is full of spiders.  Probably a snake or two as well down the bottom.  I've seen a lot of red-backs and more than a few huntsman spiders.  I even get called upon by the neighbours to remove huntsmen from their homes as I'm not at all bothered by them.  

Can't say I've seen a funnel-web here though they are around for sure.  The other nasty is the white-tail spider of which there is also a healthy population around and beneath the layout.  Some survive - some don't.  It depends how quickly they can scuttle away when I arrive on the scene ;)

If you're not going to come to Australia because of the spiders then don't bother Googling the blue-ring octopus, March fly or other shore-line pests when you drool over the superb and seemingly endless beaches here.  And avoid drop-bears at all costs.

No worries Matt.

I get plenty of daddy long legs in the garage but generally leave them alone I will kill white tails when I see them  a friend of mine got bitten a few times by one and still has the marks on his leg. 

Cheers Peter.