Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hello Peter

As you requested on George's thread I've popped some pictures up of 37075 on yesterday's bash at Keighley on Peak Dale.

Hope you like them.

Although the weather was a bit mixed it was a good day with 5 round trips to be had with the added bonus of a real ale bar on the train.

Cheers

Marcus

And great pics they are too Marcus, Thanks.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info on what you did. I will let my mate know.

You class 26 looks great and I notice the early Highland Stag too, very nice. Looks like a class 27 in the woks too. I would love to see a pic when it's all weathered up.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the kind comments.  

On my Heljan 26/27's now with the KD's "chassis" mounted instead of bogie mounted, due to the sideways "slop" of the bogies relative to the chassis block, getting consistent uncoupling over a magnet is a bit hit or miss. Restricting the bogie pivot mounting bar from sliding to far sideways in the chassis block, hopefully "may" improve matters.  This sideways "slop" results in the trip pin sometimes being too much to one side over the magnet, with both pins then trying to go to one side, instead of opposites,  stopping the couplers parting. Depending on the radius of the curves used, this excessive slop also causes the bogie speedo drive mounting to snag on the part of the chassis sideframe that protrudes centrally downwards directly above each bogie.  Have you come across any of these issues on your 33/27's ?

TIA

Ken

That 26 looks fantastic and although i already own two the photo makes me want another. God i just can't stop myself from buying locos...is there any medication for this disease lol.

Hi Terry,

I must admit I have three stashed away for a future project. They are a great model. I don't know of any medication but you have just sold a few loco's so why not replace them.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Terry,

I must admit I have three stashed away for a future project. They are a great model. I don't know of any medication but you have just sold a few loco's so why not replace them.

Cheers Peter.

Well i am looking on Hattons now as we speak mate and i am taking a liking to the class 33 construction sector.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

26s stashed?  Future project?

We should get together and re-create the breakfasts on the 06.00 Queen Street - Mallaig ;)

Being a 33 fan I do have a soft spot for the McCromptons and a couple would go nicely with the Claytons I use as test locos - and occasionally in traffic when not too many people are looking!  Too many hydraulics are expected this year to invest in any more Scottish stuff at the moment.

I agree with your comments on weathering and am not a fan of the "dirt squirt" as often featured by the likes of Bachmann.  It's too even, the wrong colour, goes where it shouldn't and looks just as unrealistic as brand new out-of-the-box plastic trains.  I'll bow to your expertise in the dark art.  

Cheers

Rick

Hi Peter

Thanks for the kind comments.  

On my Heljan 26/27's now with the KD's "chassis" mounted instead of bogie mounted, due to the sideways "slop" of the bogies relative to the chassis block, getting consistent uncoupling over a magnet is a bit hit or miss. Restricting the bogie pivot mounting bar from sliding to far sideways in the chassis block, hopefully "may" improve matters.  This sideways "slop" results in the trip pin sometimes being too much to one side over the magnet, with both pins then trying to go to one side, instead of opposites,  stopping the couplers parting. Depending on the radius of the curves used, this excessive slop also causes the bogie speedo drive mounting to snag on the part of the chassis sideframe that protrudes centrally downwards directly above each bogie.  Have you come across any of these issues on your 33/27's ?

TIA

Ken

Hi Ken,

Out of my 4 Heljan class 33s operating on Llanbourne only 33202 has ploughs and I haven't had any problems with uncoupling though the loco is normally uncoupled on the straight and over an electromagnet. I will try the loco over an intrack magnet and see what happens. 

One of my 33/0s used to run of centre at one end, I put this down to the bogie pivot at one end and fixed it by packing the hole either side of the pivot which stopped the sideways movement.

Hope that makes sense. 

Cheers Peter.

Well i am looking on Hattons now as we speak mate and i am taking a liking to the class 33 construction sector.

Oh yes the new ones do look very nice. I noticed a railfreight class 26 in the pre owned the other day too.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

We should get together and re-create the breakfasts on the 06.00 Queen Street - Mallaig ;)

Being a 33 fan I do have a soft spot for the McCromptons and a couple would go nicely with the Claytons I use as test locos - and occasionally in traffic when not too many people are looking!  Too many hydraulics are expected this year to invest in any more Scottish stuff at the moment.

I agree with your comments on weathering and am not a fan of the "dirt squirt" as often featured by the likes of Bachmann.  It's too even, the wrong colour, goes where it shouldn't and looks just as unrealistic as brand new out-of-the-box plastic trains.  I'll bow to your expertise in the dark art.  

Cheers

Rick

Hi Rick,

Yes and two class 27s and a couple of class 37s. I have been on about a future project for some time and I really should start a thread but I don't want to anything until I am closer to starting.

What Hydraulics are due out is it the new early Warship?

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

The Bachy 43s are expected very soon with two ordered and I'll probably end up with all three.

The Kernow D600s aren't all that far away now and I have all five ordered.  The plain green pair are slightly early for me but all five were regular performers when I was a lad and spent after-school hours and some weekends on the platforms at Penzance and Hayle.  I've been hauled by at least two of them as well.

• Like 2

Hi Ken,

Out of my 4 Heljan class 33s operating on Llanbourne only 33202 has ploughs and I haven't had any problems with uncoupling though the loco is normally uncoupled on the straight and over an electromagnet. I will try the loco over an intrack magnet and see what happens. 

One of my 33/0s used to run of centre at one end, I put this down to the bogie pivot at one end and fixed it by packing the hole either side of the pivot which stopped the sideways movement.

Hope that makes sense. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the quick reply

"I put this down to the bogie pivot at one end and fixed it by packing the hole either side of the pivot which stopped the sideways movement."

Yep that's the "plan" I have in mind. There does tend to be a fair bit of sideways slop on these Heljan models, which can result in the loco not running square to the track.

Cheers

Ken

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

Cheers

Rick

Breakfast on the Mallaig was ordered by getting the bobby at Arrochar to phone his mate at Crianlarich, to pass on the number of full fry-ups required to the refreshment room. These were cooked to time precisely with the train's arrival.

Lunch was always fish and chips in the Seamen's Mission at Mallaig itself.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

The Bachy 43s are expected very soon with two ordered and I'll probably end up with all three.

The Kernow D600s aren't all that far away now and I have all five ordered.  The plain green pair are slightly early for me but all five were regular performers when I was a lad and spent after-school hours and some weekends on the platforms at Penzance and Hayle.  I've been hauled by at least two of them as well.

Rick, I know there's another topic on this, but how far away do you think "aren't all that far away" is? I've had one on order since September 2010. Will it arrive before the main line is laid through Porthmellyn Road so that it can work the Riviera?

• RMweb Premium

Yes there is another topic for the D600s but based upon information shared there and in Kernow's newsletter they may well be here this year.  I realise that is a five-year wait but factor in the total lack of progress made for at least half that time by the originally-commissioned manufacturer, subtract that and we have a lead time which would be perfectly respectable for a limited edition commission for which no prototype survives and for which the first stage has been the construction of a larger-scale model from drawings and photos for the Chinese to work from.  EP samples of body and frames have already been shown meaning significant progress has been made.

Hi Peter

Hi Rick,

Nice memories I had forgot about the D600s I am sure it will be worth the wait I am thinking both models will make your eyes water when it comes to price but then nothing coming out these days is cheap.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the quick reply

"I put this down to the bogie pivot at one end and fixed it by packing the hole either side of the pivot which stopped the sideways movement."

Yep that's the "plan" I have in mind. There does tend to be a fair bit of sideways slop on these Heljan models, which can result in the loco not running square to the track.

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken,

I hope it solves your problem packing the hole certainly made the loco run straight. Another option would be to tweek the coupler pin to the left just a bit this may just be enough to make the coupler open. I did this on my class 25109 which has plough fitted Kadee's.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Yes there is another topic for the D600s but based upon information shared there and in Kernow's newsletter they may well be here this year.  I realise that is a five-year wait but factor in the total lack of progress made for at least half that time by the originally-commissioned manufacturer, subtract that and we have a lead time which would be perfectly respectable for a limited edition commission for which no prototype survives and for which the first stage has been the construction of a larger-scale model from drawings and photos for the Chinese to work from.  EP samples of body and frames have already been shown meaning significant progress has been made.

Thanks Rick. For a moment there I thought there might be some breaking news - never mind!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have had a couple of very busy and quite stressful weeks but hopefully things will settle down a bit now.

I have managed to lower two class 37s and finish off some people that are now standing on the platforms, so will take a few pics later.

While on the subject of class 37s if anyone wants to sell a Bachmann 37049 37057 or 37417 let me know. I have a 37/5 in railfreight red stripe liv if anyone wants to swap.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

I have a surplus 37 057 Viking, in large logo blue, if you are interested, Peter. It currently has a Bachmann 36-554 decoder in it (it gave up its sound decoder some time ago to another project!).

I have a surplus 37 057 Viking, in large logo blue, if you are interested, Peter. It currently has a Bachmann 36-554 decoder in it (it gave up its sound decoder some time ago to another project!).

Hi Jeff,

Interested yes. Let me know what you want for it, I can always sort a sound chip later on. How well does it run with the decoder I must admit I haven't had much luck with them.

Cheers Peter.

The running is fairly good with the Bachmann/ESU Basic decoder ... not up to the standards of a really good decoder but more than acceptable.

I have a box for it somewhere too - that may take longer to find! Give me a call when it suits you and we can chat. I'm not really sure what the value of these 37s is nowadays.

The value of a 37 is about half what the idiots on Ebay are prepared to pay for it ;)

I actually don't mind using Ebay. I have sold quite a bit over the years and pick up a few bargains too. I decide what I want to pay and don't go over it, i think some people just like to win no matter what the price, which I think tends to boost up the prices of some items.

Cheers Peter.

I managed a few pics of the class 37s tonight. the pic with out of the box 37/5 shows the difference in height.

I have also been working on the over bridge that leads to the fiddleyard, and I am having second thoughts on the last section. I thought a stone arch would be the go but I am thinking another girder bridge would look better and certainly be easier to build. I thinking a smaller size girder with stone over the top. I have taken a few pics what do you think.

Cheers Peter, 

Hi Peter

Lowering the 37's is well worth the effort - as the new 37 506 shows !   BTW Girder not the bridge.  Restricting the sideways movement of the bogie pivots has helped with the 26/KD problem, but I've also noticed despite checking and re-checking the height of the chassis mounted KD with a KD gauge before fixing - I still managed to get it wrong - it's mounted slightly to high !! which may not be helping the uncoupling issue.

Regards

Ken