Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

I don't remember timber, but then I don't remember anything these days! Timber was proposed to come down the Conwy Valley and Roman Bridge yard was prepared with ballast, but it went to lorries in the end.

North Wales rail isnt even a shadow of its former self today. It's just a crumbling skeleton with hardly any freight and a sparse deteriorating passenger service serving fewer stations. If it weren't for Holyhead, the line would surely have terminated in Bangor years ago. Even road traffic across the Island is quiet once the irritating queues across the Menai Bridge are left behind. It evaporates on the Anglesey side, so a lot of road traffic is clearly not going to Holyhead. In contrast, the grossly inadequate A55 road between Chester and Menai Bridge is teeming with traffic, which grinds to a halt at the slightest provocation, so converting railway land to roads would be a better use of infrastructure. But then again, if the A55 were in South Wales it would be the M55!

No worries Coachman,

My memory isn't great either and I am only 46, we travelled some of the A55 in 2012 and it was pretty busy Chester was really busy too lovely city though.

Cheers Peter.

Lovely Peter,

Class 25, 2 x PCA's, 3 x Vee's and an OCA :O ;)

I'm going to have to find some more 80's photos, if only to give you a challenge!!!!!!! :yes: :yes: :imsohappy:

Seriously though, quality modelling, from the ground up!!! :locomotive:

Jinty ;-)

• Like 1

That class 33 looks fantastic and you have certainly captured the realism in the photos....5*....keep em coming!!!

Terry

Thanks Terry,

I have always liked my Cromptons, had to do a 33/1.

Cheers Peter.

Nice photos as always Peter.

I like the NSE... Mk 1 ?, slotted into the rake of coaches.

Alan

Thanks Alan,

The coach behind the loco is a Mk1 the others are MK2s all old Hornby with flush windows.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Looking good Peter, think i saw the 33 in the bay at Bmth the night before..

Thanks Scott,

Yes the bay at Bournemouth, always worth a look back in the day.

Cheers Peter.

Lovely Peter,

Class 25, 2 x PCA's, 3 x Vee's and an OCA :O ;)

I'm going to have to find some more 80's photos, if only to give you a challenge!!!!!!! :yes: :yes: :imsohappy:

Seriously though, quality modelling, from the ground up!!! :locomotive:

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty,

My two PCAs behind the loco aren't the correct type but other wise not bad. 

Challenge exepted. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting up that pic Jinty,

I still have my Rail mags from 85 to 89 and remember seeing that pic. Larry took a nice pic of 25057 on the same train in 1987, I think it was the last class 25 to work the train.

It's funny you mention the OCA on the rear of the train, about this time last year I did a couple of OCA's for my Speedlink service though I still haven't done brick loads as I haven't found any decent pictures. Merf posted a nice pic of a couple off the road at Llandudno Jct.

Hi Stu & 40044, I run a Warrington to Llanbourne Speedlink as 7D14 arriving at 06.20. Departing at about 14.00 as the 7F10. The train loco works a trip to Bangor and Holyhead I think this was called target 92 another trip is worked by a class 25 or 31 down the branch.

I think I read somewhere that for a while the Speedlink conveyed Timber. Anyone know if this is true. A couple of OTAs would look nice.

Cheers Peter.

I can not find any photos or reference to timber traffic from North Wales in the 1980s in my books, there may have been trial loads, but probably not regular traffic.

For other Speedlink traffic there was cider from Taunton to Holyhead as well as aluminium ingots from Holyhead for export

both traffics carried in bogie ferry vans, (Cargo Wagon I think)

cheers

I can not find any photos or reference to timber traffic from North Wales in the 1980s in my books, there may have been trial loads, but probably not regular traffic.

For other Speedlink traffic there was cider from Taunton to Holyhead as well as aluminium ingots from Holyhead for export

cheers

I thought the ingots from AA were transported in opens?????

I'll have a scout through my books

Jinty ;-)

That 33 really looks the biz Peter. Very nice detail and weathering.

Thanks Cav,

I am really pleased with it. I spent a bit more time on the roof with this one, trying to get the middle section to look right. Problem is I should probably re do my others now.

Cheers Peter.

cheers

Thanks for looking Rivercider,

I have a couple of Cargo wagons for the ingot traffic, didn't know about Cider being exported though. I often run a few VDAs or VGAs to Holyhead and some get dropped off at Llanbourne for a local transport business as I think there was one at Holyhead for general merchandise.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Yeah im a big fan of 33 too...in fact that last photo has inspired me to buy another 33/1 today in the same livery...just need to get it to look as good as yours now.

Terry

Hi Terry,

You can't beat a push pull Crompton, When I weather my loco's I try and find a pic of the actual loco I am doing and copy the weathering that I see. I find too many models these days are a bit over the top.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi Peter

I received my class 33 today but this particular model does not come with the jumper cables....I would love to add them to the model but do you know if the cables can be purchased separately

either from Heljan or another company?

Anyway I love how your 33 looks and how subtle the weathering is so I will be studying yours whilst I attack mine with the airbrush!

Cheers

Terry  

Terry, there are suppliers of those jumper cables around. I last bought some Blacksmith Models ones (not sure if you can still get them) but other possible suppliers include Roxey Mouldings, Craftsman (look for the old Lima class 33/1 conversion kit), MJT and Howes for the Heljan spares, if those are available (items come and go from their stocks).

Note that there are other alterations needed to make a 33/1, including rearranging the front handrails into three pieces with gaps for the jumper mountings, and cutting out the lower edge of the cab front and adding the Pullman buffing plate.

Alternatively, you could locate and purchase a Heljan class 33/1 as that was already a good model to start with.

Hi Terry,

As Jeff mentioned there is a bit to do to convert your standard 33/0 to a 33/1. I used a Craftsman DK13 on an old Lima model years ago and it look ok.

I think it's the old time against money here. Do you want to spend more money on a kit and time to convert the loco. or do you buy a Heljan class 33/1 with very little to do.

I would be tempted to keep your 33/0 and weather that up then get a 33/1 when you see one second hand. You can never have too many Cromptons. :locomotive:

There are plenty of nice dirty 33/0 s on my Flickr page there might be one there you might like to do.

HTH cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-32410900-1409904747_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

You can never have too many Cromptons. :locomotive:

I'll second that!!  :yes:   :yes: 

I have seven Heljan ones at the moment: 33/0s in green, green fye (new moulding), blue fye and EWS liveries; 33/2 in blue fye; and 33/1 in blue fye, and dutch liveries. I have lightly weathered a couple but I really need to weather a few more of them. Peter's work is really inspirational for that.

• Like 1

Hi Terry,

As Jeff mentioned there is a bit to do to convert your standard 33/0 to a 33/1. I used a Craftsman DK13 on an old Lima model years ago and it look ok.

I think it's the old time against money here. Do you want to spend more money on a kit and time to convert the loco. or do you buy a Heljan class 33/1 with very little to do.

I would be tempted to keep your 33/0 and weather that up then get a 33/1 when you see one second hand. You can never have too many Cromptons. :locomotive:

There are plenty of nice dirty 33/0 s on my Flickr page there might be one there you might like to do.

HTH cheers Peter.

Yes i think your maybe right...i think i will keep the 33/0 how it is and just get a 33/1 when one becomes available. i have four 33/0 already but desperately want a 33/1 to finish off my collection.

Also i want to pick your brains on the running quality of all my 33's...i have issues with them running at all speeds even after they have been serviced and all wheels are cleaned including the pickups. So i am wondering if its in fact the wheels that are causing the issue as i dont have this with any other locos including all my other heljans models.

I am seriously thinking of replacing the wheels and or pickups but do not have a clue where to start....any info would be greatly appreciated Peter.

Terry