Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

With all these people coming out to see Llanbourne do we need to set up a DURM Group layout-a-thon ;) I'll do the bus driving if you like - still have PCV (category D) on my UK licence.

We could do a few layouts in a day, start up Jeffs way and work down.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Mark,

I enjoyed the video too, I was up there around that time, I remember standing on the bridge near the station then later on caught a Reggi railways class 31 back to Stafford.

Cheers Peter.

Me too. Looking out for myself but only saw the local P Way gang at the Junction under the bridge on 465 points. Some faces from the past recognised.

Merf.

Well I was watching the video again and as I said I was up there in 92, and the two Dutch 47s got me thinking. The day I was up there I saw two Dutch 47s, so I went and checked my book. Guess what I was on the bridge that day the 5.8.92, the great thing is I didn't have the number of the class 47 on the loaded turbot wagons. If you watch the bit where the class 31 on Mermaids heads towards the bridge you can see people moving I am out of sight until I move for a going away shot and my taller mate Jez walks across from the left. The Reggi rail class 31 at Llanduno had shunted over by the time I got their to take it back to Stafford. It was still fairly ex works at this time and was later named. 

Great find Mark, Cheers Peter.

• Like 3

My second loco of the year arrived today a Bachmann class 40 and very nice it is too, mine ran pretty well only stopping on one point. I was a bit worried how it would run having heard about other peoples problems. 

I will take some pics later and post then up. Plan is to do this loco 40135 (97406).

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

I have seen photos on the internet and whilst not an expert on class 40s it certainly looks good to me. The 40s had pretty much gone by the time I went out and about but after seeing photos of the model I would quite like one!

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new addition at Llanbourne.

My second loco of the year arrived today a Bachmann class 40 and very nice it is too, mine ran pretty well only stopping on one point. I was a bit worried how it would run having heard about other peoples problems. 

I will take some pics later and post then up. Plan is to do this loco 40135 (97406).

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes, I need to give my 40 a run after hearing those reports. It's a bit worrying. Glad to hear yours is OK though.

Seeing the photos of the inside of the new 40, it looks like they've made some unnecessarily complicated changes. I'm not convinced by those wiper contacts between the bogie and the body for example. You can't beat a good hard-wired set-up in my view. Admittedly, the ones on my Bachmann 108s and 105 haven't given me too many problems but it's just something else to go wrong I guess. 

Looking forward to seeing your 40135 once it's been through the works.

Cheers,

Dave

Cheers Peter.

Peter,

Like this?

post-4133-0-67992400-1390343398_thumb.jpg

Paul.

• Like 5

Hi Peter,

I have seen photos on the internet and whilst not an expert on class 40s it certainly looks good to me. The 40s had pretty much gone by the time I went out and about but after seeing photos of the model I would quite like one!

Looking forward to seeing photos of your new addition at Llanbourne.

Hi Alex,

I am no expert but I think it a pretty good model, there is talk of running problems on another thread but as far as looks go I like it. There will be a few things that I will change though. The MW cables on the bogie side are too big so they will be replaced, the roof fan isn't that good so that will go and I think the side grilles are set back too far so I will ave to look into that.

I may not start on this straight away though as I have a few other locos that need to be finished plus others in the drawer to be done. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes, I need to give my 40 a run after hearing those reports. It's a bit worrying. Glad to hear yours is OK though.

Seeing the photos of the inside of the new 40, it looks like they've made some unnecessarily complicated changes. I'm not convinced by those wiper contacts between the bogie and the body for example. You can't beat a good hard-wired set-up in my view. Admittedly, the ones on my Bachmann 108s and 105 haven't given me too many problems but it's just something else to go wrong I guess. 

Looking forward to seeing your 40135 once it's been through the works.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

As I was saying to Alex it might be a while before I do the class 40 though it might just jump in front of some other locos. I had to hard wire one of my 108s and its still not the best of runners, the other one has been fine. If I do get problems with the 40 I am quite happy to add some extra pick ups.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

Peter,

Like this?

attachicon.gifa.jpg

Paul.

Thanks Paul,

What a Beast, is that Guide Bridge? I only saw 135 a few times and only have one pic of the loco. That's a useful pic for when I do the weathering on mine. I thought 135 had numbers on the nose maybe it was just one end.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Dave,

As I was saying to Alex it might be a while before I do the class 40 though it might just jump in front of some other locos. I had to hard wire one of my 108s and its still not the best of runners, the other one has been fine. If I do get problems with the 40 I am quite happy to add some extra pick ups.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I test-ran my 40 last night. It ran OK but not what I'd expect of a Bachmann loco really due to stalling in a couple of places where I wouldn't really expect it to stall. I think some extra pick-ups might be in order as you say. Putting pick-ups on only 4 axles on a 40 is skimping I think.

After waiting so long for the new 40, it's disappointing to see "improvements" being made to locos which don't really work, but like you I won't be sending mine back. It's out with the soldering iron for me to get it the way I want it. At least it seems like Bachmann are aware of the issue and have acknowledged it. We shall see what action they take. Hopefully, they will modify or at the very least check future releases very carefully. 

Cheers,

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Another very successful meeting of the BRMA Vic Branch at Llanbourne.

My Super D behaved very well despite being totally surrounded by those diesel "thingys" and 1 electric "whatsit"    :sungum:

Thanks to Peter and Co

Peter

post-6942-0-96337500-1390645668_thumb.jpg

post-6942-0-56928100-1390645686_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

And our thanks to Peter and family for allowing us to take over his backyard and shed once more, for a most enjoyable BBQ and as ever to the gentlemen of the BRMA whose company makes these gatherings what they are.  

Another very successful meeting of the BRMA Vic Branch at Llanbourne.

My Super D behaved very well despite being totally surrounded by those diesel "thingys" and 1 electric "whatsit"    :sungum:

Thanks to Peter and Co

Peter

Great to catch up again Peter,

Your Kettle thing did go very well, really impressed with the sound. Glad you had a good day.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

And our thanks to Peter and family for allowing us to take over his backyard and shed once more, for a most enjoyable BBQ and as ever to the gentlemen of the BRMA whose company makes these gatherings what they are.  

No worries Rick,

It was quite a big turn out, I might have to do a smaller one so I can run more trains and talk to everyone.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Indeed it was a great day Peter. It is good that we have such a large crew for BRMA that get together so regularly. As usual your layout looks fantastic.... but why does the mini always seem to be bonnet first in a skip and the sheep have gone missing 8-)

Thanks Paul,

What a Beast, is that Guide Bridge? I only saw 135 a few times and only have one pic of the loco. That's a useful pic for when I do the weathering on mine. I thought 135 had numbers on the nose maybe it was just one end.

Cheers Peter.

135 had no tanks either

• RMweb Premium

Indeed it was a great day Peter. It is good that we have such a large crew for BRMA that get together so regularly. As usual your layout looks fantastic.... but why does the mini always seem to be bonnet first in a skip and the sheep have gone missing 8-)

What else does one do with a Mini?   xD

And I'll have to go and check I don't have too many ovines here - counting sheep is something I know too much about  :superstition:  :superstition:  :superstition:

• Like 1

Here are some photos I took of the day at Llanbourne. They were taken on my phone but hopefully the quality is not too bad.

My modified Hornby class 92 (with Hornby class 60 chassis) visited Llanbourne. It is seen stabled in platform 1. I'm not quite sure how an electric locomotive got there under its own power!! One of Peter's class 45s is right behind. A maroon Warship diesel-hydraulic was also seen (and heard) on the day but I didn't get any photos of it!

gallery_6935_3102_137216.jpg

Peter's superbly detailed class 33/2, complete with miniature snowploughs, awaits departure from platform 2 with a rake of blue and grey mark 1 coaches. A couple of these were branded for Network South East.

gallery_6935_3102_66293.jpg

Another of Peter's detailed and weathered diesels: 08 472 sits in the headshunt adjacent to the signal box, awaiting its next instruction.

gallery_6935_3102_2895.jpg

Steam visits Llanbourne. Peter Beckett's ex-LNWR G2A 'Super D' 0-8-0 , fitted with Howes' DCC sound, shunts a representative rake of goods wagons.

gallery_6935_3102_90357.jpg

Rick (gwiwer) brought along a couple of Bachmann's new Polybulk wagons that he has weathered. They are seen here with a rake of Peter's factory weathered examples.

gallery_6935_3102_100020.jpg

An overall view of Llanbourne terminus and approaches, with those Polybulks and a couple of engineering coaches in the foreground - the latter were converted from Lima coaches by Simon Hartley.

gallery_6935_3102_6423.jpg

Edited by SRman
  • Like 10

Thanks Paul,

What a Beast, is that Guide Bridge? I only saw 135 a few times and only have one pic of the loco. That's a useful pic for when I do the weathering on mine. I thought 135 had numbers on the nose maybe it was just one

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I think it is Crewe. The early 25kV AC installations are of a heavier construction than that of later schemes and were a follow-on design to the Woodhead 1500V DC system so appear similar. Those in the Manchester area particularly around Stockport are similar too. Of note is the Woodhead scheme was in turn based on an earlier system in Bombay, now Mumbai.

Jim