Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Thanks Merf,

As always the man with the gen, so would I be right in thinking more than one service was worked by 150s during 86. I can have one on the branch and one working Manchester services. It's the light blue one that I would plan on getting.

Cheers Peter.

Yes , or if you model early August 1986, you can have 3 sets coupled together on the branch, eg. 150111/135/145 . And maybe 2 together on the Manchester !

But if this offends the wallet, you can always model Spring or Autumn and have one on each. Very few DMUs ran in North Wales as just 2 car sets.

Cheers Merf.

Backing up Merfs info on the first day of Sprinter operation on the Conwy Valley branch, I was out for the first working on 26.5.86. 150102 and 150112 did the honours while 150132 worked the 16.05hrs Llandudno-Ffestiniog.

On the North Wales mainline I photographed various 142's and 150's on driver training to Llandudno earlier in 1986, but the first reference in my photographic diary to a 150 on a service train was 150147 and 150113 at Maes Ddu leaving Llandudno at 17.44hrs on 15.5.86.

Yes , or if you model early August 1986, you can have 3 sets coupled together on the branch, eg. 150111/135/145 . And maybe 2 together on the Manchester !

But if this offends the wallet, you can always model Spring or Autumn and have one on each. Very few DMUs ran in North Wales as just 2 car sets.

Cheers Merf.

Hi Merf,

The wallet wont go to three but I am tempted to get a second. I am actually looking at getting another 108 DMU as I think they were still quite common in 86.

Thanks Peter. 

Backing up Merfs info on the first day of Sprinter operation on the Conwy Valley branch, I was out for the first working on 26.5.86. 150102 and 150112 did the honours while 150132 worked the 16.05hrs Llandudno-Ffestiniog.

On the North Wales mainline I photographed various 142's and 150's on driver training to Llandudno earlier in 1986, but the first reference in my photographic diary to a 150 on a service train was 150147 and 150113 at Maes Ddu leaving Llandudno at 17.44hrs on 15.5.86.

Thanks Larry,

Some useful info, my 142s don't run very well so don't get used much. I am hoping someone will bring out a decent model of one at some point.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Larry,

Some useful info, my 142s don't run very well so don't get used much. I am hoping someone will bring out a decent model of one at some point.

Cheers Peter.

My 142 was a poor runner when new due to inadequate pick ups. If you connect the 2 motors together with wires, you treble the pick up efficiency. Unless you have already tried that Peter !

Still plenty of 108s about in 86.

Hi Merf,

I have through wired them and they do actually run ok they just wobble and bounce way too much. Ever more than the real thing. High Level kit do a remoter kit so I may end up doing that.

Cheers Peter.

Merf starting videoing in 1988 and, because of him, I caught the bug the following year! So yes, there were plenty of Class 108's around even by that time, plus 101's, 104s and a host of other Units ranging from all-door to Cross-Country types. I suppose we thought Sprinterisation would bring the curtain down on 'rail interest' but things actually got better after they were banned from the Conwy Valley. The North Wales line was like this. When it looked like DMUs were ousting steam in 1965, it got a short revival when the 'Club' train reverted to steam haulage. But by 1968 it was all DMU's with only the 'Londons' using Class 40s. The only other diesel locos were Classes 24 and 25. Then 47's took over the London workings and things stayed pretty static until the asbestos refurbishment programme brought wth it reversed liveries. Then in 1978 the remaining 24's found themselves on DMU replacement trains, which they shared wth the 25s. Gradually the 40s took over on what became known as the 'Bangors'. The 1980s just got better and better with classes quite new to North Wales coming in, but as I said earlier, Sprinterisation brought the curtain down on the interesting times, but only for a short while.

Edited by coachmann

Thanks Larry,

Some useful information there, I have the bits to do a 104 DMU but I am sort of hoping someone will bring out an RTR one. The 120s seemed quite common for a while too.

I think if I modelled the late 70s early 80s I would need a lot more locos etc my already overflowing fiddleyard would need a major rebuild. 

Cheers Peter.

Another video.

After class 47613 arrives 47563 drops down onto the train to work it forwards to Holyhead.

http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq110/palm3936/?action=view&current=MVI_0443_zps4ced8a58.mp4

Sorry about the driving still getting used to the Powercab.

http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq110/palm3936/?action=view&current=MVI_0444_zps939e1b76.mp4

Oh sorry about the signal too. oops

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 7

Nice videos Peter, I like the lamp on the platform. It is funny, despite all the liveries that have been warn by 47s there is definitely something about a Brush 4 in plain old BR blue. Lovely!

I hope there weren’t any passengers on the train when 563 buffered up!.....

Keep the videos coming please!

May I suggest some chopper and peak action next time! Please Sir?!!

Thanks Alex,

Yep something about good old banger blue.

I have been working through my timetable but haven't been taking pics along the way, I will try and do some video as at the moment a pair of 20s are waiting to leave on the oils.

There were passengers on the train but they were glued to their seats so all's good. lol

Peaks are quite regular so I am sure one will turn up soon.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Peter

The video's are great are you going to do some with the new section of the layout as well?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Did some video on the new bit today so will try and upload later.

Cheers Peter.

Having trouble loading video to photobucket but managed to get 33202 arriving from Crewe on a Bangor service. 33202 is then see running round. Then on the new bit heading for Bangor.

I slowed up the train a tad to much as I pushed the wrong button on the powercab.

http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq110/palm3936/?action=view&current=MVI_0454_zpsa6382ec0.mp4

http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq110/palm3936/?action=view&current=MVI_0455_zpsf53badaf.mp4

http://s438.photobucket.com/albums/qq110/palm3936/?action=view&current=MVI_0456_zps1e6797a1.mp4

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 2

Great videos, Peter. 

When you wish to embed the links in your post, use the IMG link, thus:

th_MVI_0455_zpsf53badaf.jpg

That will give a preview with link combined.

:)

p.s. I know how hard it is to film and control the trains at the same time and keep everything working smoothly. If it isn't the trains or controller doing something wrong, it is the camera sticking on the swivel or making creaking noises on the tripod!! ;)  :D

Edited by SRman
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

If it isn't the trains or controller doing something wrong, it is the camera sticking on the swivel or making creaking noises on the tripod!!  ;)   :D

Or the neighbour's dog barking at the sound of the passing trains as happens on too many of my vids!

Good work Peter.  It's not easy to co-ordinate everything as Jeff says.

• Like 1

Or the neighbour's dog barking at the sound of the passing trains as happens on too many of my vids!

Good work Peter.  It's not easy to co-ordinate everything as Jeff says.

Thanks Rick, I have gone with trying not to move the camera much at all.

Mush admit I can't remember hearing the dog barking when I have been at your place.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rick, I have gone with trying not to move the camera much at all.

Mush admit I can't remember hearing the dog barking when I have been at your place.

Cheers Peter.

At risk of hijacking your thread Peter there's a good example here.  It's also not a bad example of co-ordinating train and camera operation as there are three trains making four moves in the clip and all on DC as you'd be aware.  

i-D9XqRsH-L.jpg

• Like 6

A couple of pics from the other day, too hot out there to play trains this week.

45029 on the first no heat working of the year leaves for Holyhead. 

31323 sits in the yard with a Flask train, the Chargeman and a Shunter have a rest outside the cabin.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-45727400-1389771754_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-78874300-1389771803_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-82998500-1389771860_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-99890800-1389771899_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Love the atmosphere and detail of your layout Peter, always something to look at I find. I may well have to make Millers Dale a little more long term in that adding details can take years, adds to the old saying a layout is never done! Would the flask train be in the yard Peter? I thought that they werent allowed to be stopped over anywhere due to security risks?