Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hello Peter,

Superb work since I last had a look, Llanbourne is a  very interesting layout.

I've noticed your loco fleet has both Kadee couplings and the bufferbeam detailing fitted. Which type of Kadee couplings do you use and do you ever have any problems with the detailing getting in the way when the coupling swings on the curve?

Regards

Lewis

Happy New Year everyone.

I have uploaded a short video to my Flickr site. I can't load it on here at the moment, I need to work out how to do it.

Also a Question for all those who know about North Wales workings in 1986. How common were the class 150 Sprinters along the coast? I have one but was thinking do I need another.

Thanks Cheers Peter.

Peter

Not got too much details of the main line but 150/1s started on the Blaenau branch on 26/5/1986 and were regular working with the old units, until later in the year when they were almost universal. A year later the first 150/2 worked the branch. 142s were also seen from 86, before they were banished.

I recall before entering service 150s were sent out from Manchester to Llandudno on driver training, often in pairs, or with 142s where they went into the carriage sidings for the crews to practice uncoupling and coupling.

Of course in 1986 all would have been in original light blue livery.

Merf.

Hi Peter

Great vids (well done to Grimley for making them accessible!).

Are you building up a selection of sound loco's now? The Crompton sounded in good voice!

Cheers

Alex

Now I've got a machine that will play S-VHS and VHS videos, I have been going through materlal I shot 1989/90, much of it at Rhyl and Llandudno Junction. Freightlner traffic, Amlwch tanks, Nuclear flasks, 14.30 goods with Cargowaggons, cement and fuel, regular stone flows from Penmaemawr quarry and ballast workings using all the older style wagons. On passnger there were the Nodding donkeys and those in brown & cream, original sprinter liveries, blue-grey and intercity coaches with influxes from NSE and DMU's galore, some in Scottish liveries. Add to that weekly mainline steam............Llanbourne on a big scale!

• Like 1

Great videos Peter, nice to see the layout come alive. Thanks Alex for posting the links..

Thanks Scott,

I have just noticed a link to your new thread so will go have a look and see what you have been up too.

Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter,

Superb work since I last had a look, Llanbourne is a  very interesting layout.

I've noticed your loco fleet has both Kadee couplings and the bufferbeam detailing fitted. Which type of Kadee couplings do you use and do you ever have any problems with the detailing getting in the way when the coupling swings on the curve?

Regards

Lewis

Thanks Lewis,

My locos do have Kadee's fitted, I did an article that appeared in Rail Express modeller a few months back that explains how I have pipework and Kadee's. I will post up a few pics rather than explain it.

Cheers Peter.

Peter

Not got too much details of the main line but 150/1s started on the Blaenau branch on 26/5/1986 and were regular working with the old units, until later in the year when they were almost universal. A year later the first 150/2 worked the branch. 142s were also seen from 86, before they were banished.

I recall before entering service 150s were sent out from Manchester to Llandudno on driver training, often in pairs, or with 142s where they went into the carriage sidings for the crews to practice uncoupling and coupling.

Of course in 1986 all would have been in original light blue livery.

Merf.

Thanks Merf,

As always the man with the gen, so would I be right in thinking more than one service was worked by 150s during 86. I can have one on the branch and one working Manchester services. It's the light blue one that I would plan on getting.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, lovely Vids mate Cheers, and I keep looking at those Blue Diesel, just grate stuff.

All the best for really inspirational layout. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Andy :sungum:

Thanks Andy,

Looking forwards to seeing how many layouts you build this year. :locomotive: Looks like you have moved over to steam at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Great vids (well done to Grimley for making them accessible!).

Are you building up a selection of sound loco's now? The Crompton sounded in good voice!

Cheers

Alex

Thanks Alex,

I have a few sound locos but won't be going with sound in everything, I was actually out in the garage today and didn't have the sound turned on the few I used. 

Cheers Peter.

Now I've got a machine that will play S-VHS and VHS videos, I have been going through materlal I shot 1989/90, much of it at Rhyl and Llandudno Junction. Freightlner traffic, Amlwch tanks, Nuclear flasks, 14.30 goods with Cargowaggons, cement and fuel, regular stone flows from Penmaemawr quarry and ballast workings using all the older style wagons. On passnger there were the Nodding donkeys and those in brown & cream, original sprinter liveries, blue-grey and intercity coaches with influxes from NSE and DMU's galore, some in Scottish liveries. Add to that weekly mainline steam............Llanbourne on a big scale!

Hi Larry,

If you ever find a way to post some on RMweb let me know, 89 90 is a bit out of my time period but would love to see any video of the line. If you have any pics of 150s feel free to post them here.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Andy,

Looking forwards to seeing how many layouts you build this year. :locomotive: Looks like you have moved over to steam at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

Don't be fooled Peter, I have 20,24,25,47, and 2 Blue and 1 NSE Cl 50's looking for a new project, I've got a spare 6ft x 2ft board that will fit in the car and maybe, just maybe a small stabling point, I could substitute the 20, 24, and 25's for some 33's and go Southern or Western with the 50's.

All is not lost, YET. hahaa

Andy :sungum: :sungum:

• Like 1

Hi Peter, just loving the sheer mundaneness (is this a word!) in the shot of the units. Kev.

Yes Peter, wonderfully mundane. I have been collecting DMUs and have about 5 now of various types and liveries, so my terminus can be DMU only from time to time :-)

Great to see your layout again. The attention to detail makes it one of the best ... Where else can you see a carefully placed brick lying on the ground in OO scale!

Hello Peter,

Thanks for posting the images. That's a clever way of having both the details and a coupling. Is that bungee cord you used?

Regards

Lewis

No worries,

It is bungee cord that I use, though be careful when buying it as some have the thicker square rubber.

Cheers Peter.

Yes Peter, wonderfully mundane. I have been collecting DMUs and have about 5 now of various types and liveries, so my terminus can be DMU only from time to time :-)

Great to see your layout again. The attention to detail makes it one of the best ... Where else can you see a carefully placed brick lying on the ground in OO scale!

Hi Mate,

I have a meeting here on the 22nd of this month, if you can make it you are more than welcome.

Cheers Peter.

Don't be fooled Peter, I have 20,24,25,47, and 2 Blue and 1 NSE Cl 50's looking for a new project, I've got a spare 6ft x 2ft board that will fit in the car and maybe, just maybe a small stabling point, I could substitute the 20, 24, and 25's for some 33's and go Southern or Western with the 50's.

All is not lost, YET. hahaa

Andy :sungum: :sungum:

Glad to hear that Andy, 

I did think you still had a few diesels, I will keep an eye out for the new thread. Class 33s certainly rubbed shoulders with the class 50s on the Southern and Western so you might as well get youself one, they are a great loco.

Cheers Peter.

Yep, sorry my bad. it is the 25th not sure why I have 22nd in my head, can't blame having too many beers either I've only had the one today.

Thanks Rick.

Cheers Peter.