Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

I've just started from way back in 09. That's one way to kill a couple of hours on a night shift on the railway ; ) . Excellent and truly brings back memories of my bashing days in the late 80s and early 90s along the north Wales Coast .

Thanks meanach,

I must admit I didn't really do any bashing on the coast until the late 80s so missed the 40s and Peaks etc. I did do plenty of bashing elsewhere though. Happy days.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Peter,

I've been following Llanbourne since I joined but can't believe I haven't posted here yet!

Anyway, super modelling!  I really like the fourth pic, I had to do a double-take.  The backscene in that one (and the last one too) gives a real sense of depth to the image.  Great job!

Matt.

I liked the picture of 31403 in entry #2254 today so I've checked with Peter if he'd mind me copying it and making a few tweaks.  He posts a load of great photos but this one stood out to me in particular as having a number of realistic elements; it just looks "right".  I hope my tinkering adds a few extras to the original shot. 

This is the original:

post-17625-0-55596900-1382877363.jpg

I have just sharpened this one to bring out the weathering on the loco:

post-17625-0-26380200-1382877366.jpg

This one has been darkened to give the feel of an approaching storm (what the magazines dub a "threatening sky"!):

post-17625-0-85467200-1382877368.jpg

And I have further tweaked those two to see what happens.  I think I prefer the original alterations though.

Altered colouring on the sharpened version:

post-17625-0-55429700-1382877371.jpg

Altered colouring on the storm version:

post-17625-0-28632200-1382877374.jpg

• Like 12

Hate to say it BR(S), I actually prefer the original.

That's OK!  When I messaged Peter, he said his original photo looks sharper if you enlarge it by clicking on it and he's right.  My photos are a little more blurry than I'd hoped for but I think I have a preference for the original "threatening sky" one.  Either way, I think it's a nicely composed original shot with some pleasing colours and a realistic perspective on the backscene.  With the cab behind the lamp post, I can imagine the photographer desperate to get a picture and having to accept the obstruction, long before the days of "photoshopping"!   

G'day Peter,

I've been following Llanbourne since I joined but can't believe I haven't posted here yet!

Anyway, super modelling!  I really like the fourth pic, I had to do a double-take.  The backscene in that one (and the last one too) gives a real sense of depth to the image.  Great job!

Matt.

Thanks Matt,

The backscenes do improve things, I just need to do the rest now.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks BR(S),

I quite like the storm clouds, one of the last times I was at Llandudno Jct there was some low cloud rolling in. I have a pic somewhere.

I am not sure if I can load my pics a different way to improve things. Other members pictures look a lot sharper than mine. I put my pics into My Pictures and crop them then down size them.

is their a better way? On another Forum I load pics to photobucket then load them from there.

Cheers Peter. 

More great pics and even more inspiration. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Thanks.

Andy :sungum:

Thanks Andy,

Though didn't think you needed any more inspiration having 9+ layouts on the go. They have certainly be inspirational for me. :D

Cheers Peter.

Thanks BR(S),

I quite like the storm clouds, one of the last times I was at Llandudno Jct there was some low cloud rolling in. I have a pic somewhere.

I am not sure if I can load my pics a different way to improve things. Other members pictures look a lot sharper than mine. I put my pics into My Pictures and crop them then down size them.

is their a better way? On another Forum I load pics to photobucket then load them from there.

Cheers Peter. 

If I load my pictures straight off my camera, they come out the same as yours, with what I'd call a "soft focus" finish.  I assume this is in part down to the camera used and the settings used to take the photo.  I tweak mine in Photoshop just to make them a bit sharper, or more if I'm in the mood (playing with colours, shadows etc.). 

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the ones you post of course, I just fancied playing around with that Class 31 shot!

• Like 1

Thanks Cav,

I think it does go to show that more than one Peak is needed for a good layout. lol

Hello Peter - I can totally agree with that...... :good:

Been catching up with Llanbourne. A great selection of photographs as always and very impressed with the new scenic extension.

I've realised that seeing photos of Llanbourne always makes me miss modelling in OO. 

I'll also be interested to see what plans you have for those 26/27s

On the subject of wandering 33s - During the mid 1980s we spent weekends using Yorkshire Ranger tickets to chase exotic haulage on the many holiday services. There was always talk of what had worked to where during the day, and one evening there were rumours of a 33/0 reaching Leeds. Possibly on a Weymouth-Leeds or Paignton-Bradford service? Apparently as the result of no loco being available to replace it at Bristol-Birmingham-Derby or Sheffield...so the 33 just kept going north. Never found out if this did occur or was just a rumour.

Regards

Alan

If I load my pictures straight off my camera, they come out the same as yours, with what I'd call a "soft focus" finish.  I assume this is in part down to the camera used and the settings used to take the photo.  I tweak mine in Photoshop just to make them a bit sharper, or more if I'm in the mood (playing with colours, shadows etc.). 

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the ones you post of course, I just fancied playing around with that Class 31 shot!

No worries,

I heve been using a fairly decent DSLR recently mybe I need to play with the settings more. Meanwhile I can put the pics on my Flickr site and leave them full size.

Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter - I can totally agree with that...... :good:

Been catching up with Llanbourne. A great selection of photographs as always and very impressed with the new scenic extension.

I've realised that seeing photos of Llanbourne always makes me miss modelling in OO. 

I'll also be interested to see what plans you have for those 26/27s

On the subject of wandering 33s - During the mid 1980s we spent weekends using Yorkshire Ranger tickets to chase exotic haulage on the many holiday services. There was always talk of what had worked to where during the day, and one evening there were rumours of a 33/0 reaching Leeds. Possibly on a Weymouth-Leeds or Paignton-Bradford service? Apparently as the result of no loco being available to replace it at Bristol-Birmingham-Derby or Sheffield...so the 33 just kept going north. Never found out if this did occur or was just a rumour.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

You did say you might go oo so I am only trying to help.lol

There is a plan for the 26s and 27s but it a while off yet. Something fairly small for exhibitions and I want to have a go at building some points so nothing too complex.

33s did make it to Leeds on more than one ocassion. There was a good website for this kind of gen but '1980s Timewarp' seems to have gone missing, which is a great shame it was a great site with heaps of haulage info. I think it was a train from Brighton.

Cheers Peter.

• 1 month later...

Llanbourne has been given a clean today, Spring here tends to bring out the spiders and the garage has been home to quite a few recently. I vacuumed the floor today and the layout and removed quite a few dead bugs, hopefully I will get the track clean this week and run a few trains.

37428 was given a test run the other day as I have now fitted a reblown sound chip by Lgomanbiffo, it really does sound pretty good I had a class 25 cip reblown to very nice. 

Also fresh off the workbench is a YAA Brill.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-30946600-1387105133_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-25169800-1387105175_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

YAA looks good Peter.

Great minds must think alike as I've been cleaning and renovating Penhayle Bay these past few days.  No event in the offing - it was just time to do a fair bit of maintenance in long warm evenings before the real heat of summer arrives.  Which is forecast for Thursday ;)

Hi Rick,

You would have a few more bugs to remove no doubt, I still have to clean the track but the layout is looking quite good.

I am having a meeting here in Jan if you are interested, 25th it could be hot some I will make sure there is beer in the fridge.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1