Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Merf,

I think a 33/1 did work a special with TCs in about 89.

Cheers Peter.

Had a good look through pictures this afternoon and found nothing. Must be my age, imagining seeing them !

Still I enjoyed looking at the photos, not seen for years.

Merf.

• RMweb Premium

Sub-class 33/1 wasn't supposed to stray off the SR (other than on WR workings where drivers signed them such as Pompey - Bristol turns) on the grounds that crew and ground staff were not type trained.  The differences weren't that great but the array of plumbing on the front ends could cause confusion.  

They did reach North Wales a very few times both on railtours via the WCML and on North and West rosters which worked Cardiff - Manchesters and with the occasional trip onto the coast.  They were not authorised, nor were staff trained in, push-pull mode and could only haul trains using the normal low-level connections.  I do recall a railtour using 33/1 + 8TC and using push-pull mode but this would have been crewed by Southern men using LMR pilots.

I also recall fun and games one summer Saturday at Exeter St. Davids.  The 08.20 off Waterloo was a summer Saturdays only extra and was booked 2x33/1 + 8TC (locos leading).  Load 8 was the permitted single engine load for the route so I assume the double-header was to achieve better speed over the banks and keep to a smart timing to avoid stuffing up the entire single line operation on a busy day.  Salisbury men were trained to drive push-pull and had regular 33/1+ 4TC workings to Waterloo, Reading and (on summer Sundays only) Bristol.  Exeter men were not so trained so this train normally involved a loco run-round at St. Davids.   On one occasion it arrived formed 33/0 + 33/1 + 8TC.  That  combination works perfectly until you run the locos round and find you have to couple a 33/0 to a 4TC which completely foxed the staff there!

• Like 1

I checked out the 1980s timewarp website a while back and it had a list and dates of class 33s that had worked the Cardiff Crewe to Bangor and Holyhead trains. Other info said that no 33/1s had been reported on the line.

It is possible that pushers worked to Crewe or Manchester but I have never see any reports to say that they did.

From memory I think TCs would have had extension pipes in the guards compartment so the unit could be hauled by a none push pull loco's. it possible the WR crew might not have known that.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

From memory I think TCs would have had extension pipes in the guards compartment so the unit could be hauled by a none push pull loco's. it possible the WR crew might not have known that.

Should have had.  That's not guarantee that they would have been present if required.  And you are correct in that non-SR staff would not have had any training in their location nor instruction in how to connect them.

Reminds me of a time when one Sunday we had to send a Special from Eastleigh to Swindon via Westbury. The train was empty car flats and the TOPS list came through with a class 47 as booked Loco. A few moments later a pair of class 73s arrived. I asked the driver what had happened to the class 47, He said that the train had run last week with a class 47 and on arrival at Westbury they had told him they had no spare loco so he had come back on a normal service train leaving the class 47 on the train. This had left Eastleigh short of a class 47 for the Monday. So the plan was to send a couple of EDs which Westbury wouldn't be so keen on stealing.

I saw the Driver a week later and asked him how it went, he laughed and said the shunter and train crew were not impressed when they saw a couple of Eds rolling into the yard. Needless to say he came back to Eastleigh LE.

Found a pic of 33109 and two 4TCs working the Wareham to Bangor 1st July 89.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Found a pic of 33109 and two 4TCs working the Wareham to Bangor 1st July 89.

That's the one.  Knew they'd been along the coast at least once!

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally taken a few pics of what I have been doing for the month, it's not actually a great deal as I have have other things on my mind. 

Scenic work on the extension has continued with plaster bandage covering most of the ploystyrene some retaining walls have been put up and a stone wall along the road is being worked on at the moment.

I have started painting my Cambrian OBA and OCA. Does the brown on the OBA look ok? 

I have also weathered up a Triumph 2500 and a Leyland Princess.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-81514600-1377868111_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-89022100-1377868147_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-90122100-1377868180_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-84606800-1377868262_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-34388700-1377868304_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-00463400-1377868392_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-82441000-1377868419_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

The new work is starting to look good Peter, as are those weathered cars.

Track down on the new layout here, click the link ;)

Thanks Rick,

Yes had a look at yours, laying track is quite enjoyable.

Cheers Peter.

Still looking great I think the brown looks fine

David

Thanks David,

I think the brown is ok, but I am being told OBAs didn't get this colour it was more of a Maroon livery. I might have to add a bit more red into my paint mix and see how that looks. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

While I am here I will be having a BRMA meeting here on Saturday the 28th of September. Any RMwebbers are welcome to come and have a look if you are down this way.

The meeting falls on Grand final day though, it was going to be a week earlier but a very good friend of mine passed away the other week and I need to go and help sort things out as my wife is Co executor. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear about your loss Peter but you can almost certainly count me in for 28th.  The Grand Final means nothing here - I've never been a fan of egg-chasing in any code ;)

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your loss Peter but you can almost certainly count me in for 28th.  The Grand Final means nothing here - I've never been a fan of egg-chasing in any code ;)

Thanks Rick,

He was a top bloke and good railway modeller too, be good to catch up later this month.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Ha Ha Ha, I had forgotten about that John Shuttelworth classic!

That was funny, not seen that before. It looks like BL did the same with the Princess as the Marina and did an updated version with new name.

Cheers Peter.