Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

A new loco arrived the other day, it was on special and I couldn't resist. I wasn't an impulse buy as I have some friends for it to play with. They are all for a future project.

I have also finished building a few Cambrian kits, just need to paint them now, and find who does transfers for a Salmon.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-32832300-1375270123_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-35113000-1375270185_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-68424800-1375270214_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-14162400-1375270244_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-53029900-1375270322_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Nice McRats Peter.  I always liked the 26/27s though remember them in green or blue rather than grey.

who does transfers for a Salmon.

You could try asking a truck driver at the fish markets.  ;)

Very nice, Peter.

For the transfers, you could check all the usual 'suspects', like Modelmasters, Cambridge Custom Transfers, Fox Transfers and HMRS. There are several dealing with departmental wagons (although I'm not sure of the Salmon specifically) in at least two of those ranges.

They are rather nice those. Working on one myself at the mo.

Interested to see the 'other' project.

Cav

Thanks Cav,

I haven't started anything yet, at the moment its just some loco's and a few trackplans. I won't start until Llanbourne is nearer to being finished, but I want to do a small part yard based layout with part of a loco shed on a lower level. Imagine a 6x2 section of Mossend yard and that should give you some idea. It will have overhead and I will have a go at building my own points. You may remember me asking how you did yours.

I only buy the loco's if they are a good price or starting to get hard to find, the plan is to use alot of the stock I already have.

Cheers Peter.

Very nice, Peter.

For the transfers, you could check all the usual 'suspects', like Modelmasters, Cambridge Custom Transfers, Fox Transfers and HMRS. There are several dealing with departmental wagons (although I'm not sure of the Salmon specifically) in at least two of those ranges.

Thanks Jeff,

I need some transfers for the YHA whale as well so I think I will check some of those out and see how I go.

Cheers Peter.

Nice McRats Peter.  I always liked the 26/27s though remember them in green or blue rather than grey.

You could try asking a truck driver at the fish markets.   ;)

Hi Rick,

I didn't see my first class 26 and 27 working in Scotland until 1985 so everything was blue by then. I really liked them from the start so was always going to model them. I still have my Lima class 33 conversions.

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Premium

That's what comes of being a few years ahead of you Peter!  I was bunking round Eastfield, Haymarket and the like when some of them were still in green and there were still Claytons in traffic (mostly in green as well) and class 06 "saddle tank" shunters in green fussing around the yards.  

I've always been very tempted by the McRat models and as you know a pair of Claytons are in my collection and used as test locos around the layout.  There's little chance of me modelling anything Scottish so with a whole swag of WR types coming the budget just won't stretch to many more "non-theme" types!

Hi Pete,

Like the look of the bridge - good to have it at an angle to break from the norm and more like reality. 26s look good too. Nice to have them for a pet project. Will it become "Strathllanbourne" for the day sometime?? :no:

Stu.

• Like 1

That's what comes of being a few years ahead of you Peter!  I was bunking round Eastfield, Haymarket and the like when some of them were still in green and there were still Claytons in traffic (mostly in green as well) and class 06 "saddle tank" shunters in green fussing around the yards.  

I've always been very tempted by the McRat models and as you know a pair of Claytons are in my collection and used as test locos around the layout.  There's little chance of me modelling anything Scottish so with a whole swag of WR types coming the budget just won't stretch to many more "non-theme" types!

Hi Rick,

Question is did you take many pictures back in the day? 

There are some very nice models out there and I think we all get tempted from time to time. I think I am quite good but then I just don't have the money to buy everything which is probably a good thing as I already have too much stock sitting in it's box. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter 

Sorry there are no pictures from those days as I didn't have any form of camera until a few years later and was hard-pressed to fund both trips away and film!  But the memories are precious ;)

Meanwhile two Claytons chug around the backyard here out of season to keep the tracks clean and for my own entertainment!

Very nice, these are Heljan I take it?  Wouldn't mind a pair of them myself. 

Yes they are all Heljan, Hattons have the railfreight one on special at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete,

Like the look of the bridge - good to have it at an angle to break from the norm and more like reality. 26s look good too. Nice to have them for a pet project. Will it become "Strathllanbourne" for the day sometime?? :no:

Stu.

Thanks Stu,

Llanbourne could work quite well as a Scottish terminus so maybe one day. :locomotive: It would give a reason to buy more class 37s.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter 

Sorry there are no pictures from those days as I didn't have any form of camera until a few years later and was hard-pressed to fund both trips away and film!  But the memories are precious ;)

Meanwhile two Claytons chug around the backyard here out of season to keep the tracks clean and for my own entertainment!

Hi Rick,

Had the same problem myself during the early 80s couldn't always have both, then later on it was beer money or film but as you say the memories are still there.

Good to hear you have some locos running, the weather has been pretty average in the last few days.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Some vids from Saturday on the layout thread Peter from post 616 onwards - sorry you weren't able to join us.  And yes the weather is average at the moment - blowing in a gale here tonight but you might be a bit sheltered from the worst of it.

Edited by Gwiwer

"Problems" that quite  few of us have, Peter! You are not alone!!

;)   ;)

Yes you do have a few Locos Jeff,  :senile:

I actually had a parcel arrive today, while I was off the other week I found a Heljan class 33/1 on ebay. I had been looking for one for a while but managed to get this one. I know they didn't run on the North Wales Coast but I have always like the old Pushers as I used to see them nearly everyday.

Cheers Peter.

Some vids from Saturday on the layout thread Peter from post 616 onwards - sorry you weren't able to join us.  And yes the weather is average at the moment - blowing in a gale here tonight but you might be a bit sheltered from the worst of it.

Blowing a gale here Rick, there isn't much between our place and the bay. I will go and check out the vids. Did you get any work done on the new layout?

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Peter

Being so cold on Saturday we didn't achieve as much as we might have but the important thing for me is that I now have the track plan marked with where the insulators go and some "copy this" fully motored, frog-switched and wired electrofrog points.

The next step is to wire up the remaining dozen or so then start the actual track laying later in the month.

Peter

Being so cold on Saturday we didn't achieve as much as we might have but the important thing for me is that I now have the track plan marked with where the insulators go and some "copy this" fully motored, frog-switched and wired electrofrog points.

The next step is to wire up the remaining dozen or so then start the actual track laying later in the month.

That's good, if you need any more help let me know.

Our weekend away in Warrnambool was good the weather on Thursday and Friday was ok but Saturday and Sunday were quite wet, though the Southern Right Whales didn't seem bothered.

Cheers Peter. 

Yes you do have a few Locos Jeff,  :senile:

I actually had a parcel arrive today, while I was off the other week I found a Heljan class 33/1 on ebay. I had been looking for one for a while but managed to get this one. I know they didn't run on the North Wales Coast but I have always like the old Pushers as I used to see them nearly everyday.

Cheers Peter.

Not sure about that Peter !  I will see if I can find a picture for you.

Merf.