The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

One Square

mozzer models

Another clue - a few members of a class of engines, transferred from much further south, worked this line. One of these was the last of that class to be withdrawn.

Edited by pH

And another - line opened in 1903, closed to passengers in 1965. (Unusually, it had closed to goods several years before that.)

Edited by pH

Shieldhill, between Dumfries and Lochmaben: 

post-1771-0-50848900-1414139071.png

By coincidence, I was playing soccer yesterday with a guy who used to be the local cop in that area, based in Lochmaben.

How do you do that?

In that case - a lot of luck! I remembered a 'one-sided' cutting near water in that area had been used before. I looked at the map, and found that that earlier square had been at the west end of Loch Watten, so that wasn't it. But the overall landscape looked similar, so I thought I'd have a look along the lines in the populated parts of that area, before you get out onto the moors beyond Scotscalder. If that hadn't worked, I hadn't yet thought of Plan B!

Anyway - next:

post-1771-0-73471100-1414354663.png

• RMweb Gold

The square is just north of Ardrossan, Ayrshire. The engineers being Robert & David Urie, although Wikipedia states they were born in Ardeer a little to the east.

Sorry can't post squares from this tablet, can anyone else contribute the next one?

The square is just north of Ardrossan, Ayrshire. The engineers being Robert & David Urie, although Wikipedia states they were born in Ardeer a little to the east.

Sorry can't post squares from this tablet, can anyone else contribute the next one?

Right square, wrong CMEs! Dugald and Peter Drummond were born in Ardrossan itself. Dugald was CME of the NBR, CR and LSWR. Peter Drummond was CME of the HR and GSWR. (They only needed the GNOSR for a full set of major Scottish railways!)

Robert Urie was born in Ardeer, but AFAIK David Urie was born in Glasgow.

Edited by pH

Ha, did not twig the Drummonds were from the area too! That's quite a collection of engineering talent from a small area...

And add in James Manson from Saltcoats plus, from a bit further away, Patrick and James Stirling from Kilmarnock and Galston, and Hugh Smellie from Ayr.

(Edit: note to self - do not rely on memory; check before posting.)

Edited by pH

• RMweb Premium

Ok try this one

post-7289-0-65512300-1414540011.jpg

Probably won't last long if pH is on form!!