The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

One Square

mozzer models

• RMweb Gold

Closed in 1964 under Beeching, this line ran from a now-closed junction station on a still open line that, when built, was the principle line to London from its eastern terminus until a more direct route took precedence. The branch in the square ran to a town known for a market and banger racing track.

Andi

Guest Belgian

Six days on any chance of a clue?

Sorry, I went away for a few days, but I see it didn't stop pH. (Does that mean public House, as on his following square?).

JE

Edited by Belgian

Sorry, I went away for a few days, but I see it didn't stop pH. (Does that mean public House, as on his following square?).

JE

If I remember correctly, it means 'The negative log of the hydrogen ion concentration', but it's also my initials.

No luck so far with the latest square.

Clue - a train passing right to left across that square (I.e. from top centre to left centre of the square) would be heading in a definite northerly direction, overall.

Further clue - close to this square is the course of the earliest 'above ground' wagonway on record, believed to have possibly been the first 'in the world' (though more probably 'in Britain').

Edited by pH

• RMweb Premium

Next up. Let's make this game a bit more fun by making them less obscure and always starting off with a clue. This one won't last long, but it will be fun to see how long it takes and who gets it first:

post-1103-0-56935500-1396643779.png

picture clue from the next square to the North-West:

post-1103-0-42177200-1396643449.jpg

Martin.

Next:

post-1771-0-62659300-1396645124.png

I don't think the squares have been 'obscure' recently. I've been trying to use squares containing open railway lines - you should see some of the 'possibles' I've not been using! Speaking for myself, I like at least a day or two without a clue - I enjoy a bit more of a challenge. I'll give this one a day or so before supplying a clue. 

• RMweb Premium

Next:

attachicon.gifOnesquare.png

I don't think the squares have been 'obscure' recently. I've been trying to use squares containing open railway lines - you should see some of the 'possibles' I've not been using! Speaking for myself, I like at least a day or two without a clue - I enjoy a bit more of a challenge. I'll give this one a day or so before supplying a clue. 

For me a square like that is just too general. It could be almost anywhere in the UK. Well it's a town with a station, and the railway runs east-west, with a radio mast and a college close to the line. But none of that is much help without some idea of where to start looking, unless you recognise the actual location. It could take hours to scan the entire UK for me to find that square.

When I see a square like that I simply click away and wait for a clue to appear, which is what I shall do now.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Wow - one I recognised straight away.
On the Tyne Valley line west of Hexham

post-7191-0-52092600-1396775225.jpg

Give me an hour or so to wake up and I'll post the next one.

Edited by BoD