How do you remember what functions do?

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

I now have sound chips from a variety of manufacturers and different sound file creations as well on ESU chips. As a result I don't have a standard set of sounds on certain function buttons so I've always had a mini list to jog the memory. A friend also did a similar idea for his exhibition layout to allow new operators to know what they are doing without having to keep asking.

Here's one of the styles I've created for my OO stuff using Bachmann, SWD and Howes sounds all on ESU chips.

The 4 digit address is in white while the extra loco class digit is in a darker colour to hopefully make it easy for others to use.

The coloured background, matched to a companies main colour, hopefully allows you find the guide quicker on the desk.

post-6968-127452867873.jpg

I also include a few of the settings for volume etc for handy reference too.

These are the actual size, which you can vary to suit your eyesight, I print them off in WORD and then laminate them so they last. Another idea is to use the sticky velcro dots to allow you to stick them to the top of the DCC handset if you use something like the NCE or Dynamis.

post-6968-127452882835.jpg

I now have sound chips from a variety of manufacturers and different sound file creations as well on ESU chips. As a result I don't have a standard set of sounds on certain function buttons so I've always had a mini list to jog the memory. A friend also did a similar idea for his exhibition layout to allow new operators to know what they are doing without having to keep asking.

Here's one of the styles I've created for my OO stuff using Bachmann, SWD and Howes sounds all on ESU chips.

The 4 digit address is in white while the extra loco class digit is in a darker colour to hopefully make it easy for others to use.

The coloured background, matched to a companies main colour, hopefully allows you find the guide quicker on the desk.

post-6968-127452867873.jpg

I also include a few of the settings for volume etc for handy reference too.

These are the actual size, which you can vary to suit your eyesight, I print them off in WORD and then laminate them so they last. Another idea is to use the sticky velcro dots to allow you to stick them to the top of the DCC handset if you use something like the NCE or Dynamis.

post-6968-127452882835.jpg

We cheat! We have moved all the functions on a Lokprogrammer so the're all in the same place. It varies depending if its a loco or unit etc. Each operating position then has a function sheet listing the sounds.

• RMweb Gold

Ah but while I can do that on the esu chips it doesn't do the massoth, soundtraxx, qsi, or lgb ones. I figured it was quicker and cheaper to do this than either figure out all the cv's to change for that or buy everyones programmer. A Sprog and lokprogrammer cover all my needs this way ;)

Were yours the ones running on on Coppel at Epsom?

....ESU ECoS has icons you ca set up for each function to help you remember what they are B)

Absolutely.

A well designed user interface will mean theres no need to remember what function is what, nor will there be any need for aid memoir's like the OP's splendid "cheat sheets".

The functions will be right "there" for the user to select.

Similarly there is no need for abbreviated schemes for loco addresses with such a user interface, or any need to tap in 4 digit addresses. See the loco - select - Job done.

There are excellent UI's seen on consoles like the ECoS, Commander and CS2 which point in the right direction as far as the future is concerned.

When some of the features seen on those systems make it onto walkabout handsets, then we'll laugh at a lot of today's kit and what we had to do to make our toy trains move and perform tricks for us.

Absolutely.

A well designed user interface will mean theres no need to remember what function is what, nor will there be any need for aid memoir's like the OP's splendid "cheat sheets".

The functions will be right "there" for the user to select.

Similarly there is no need for abbreviated schemes for loco addresses with such a user interface, or any need to tap in 4 digit addresses. See the loco - select - Job done.

There are excellent UI's seen on consoles like the ECoS, Commander and CS2 which point in the right direction as far as the future is concerned.

When some of the features seen on those systems make it onto walkabout handsets, then we'll laugh at a lot of today's kit and what we had to do to make our toy trains move and perform tricks for us.

Although I wholeheartedly agree with all the sentiment expressed here, it has to be pointed out that the ESU ECoS is by far the most expensive controller/command station yet produced. Since most of us DCC nerds are on here a lot trying very hard to justify spending £300 on a top end command station, I think most will do without the extra screen apps that nearly £500 might give us.

I must admit though that the use of functions is a bit of a growing nuisance. One can spend so much time selecting functions that one then crashes into a crossing shunt movement. I have found that driving more than three sound locos tends to stop one using too many functions anyway.

Roll on automated chips that can sense what you actually want to do and slightly vary the sound to suit. Now if there were a couple of sound projects that could be swapped on a function button a bit like notching on F5 and F6, THAT would be a better way to go.

The biggest problem with handhelds is the size of screen. ESU ECoS can hardly be called portable and, due to it's cost, not likely to become a club choice even when the handheld becomes available.

• RMweb Gold

it has to be pointed out that the ESU ECoS is by far the most expensive controller/command station yet produced.

You haven't seen the Massoth system then wink.gif

I started with the EZ command, currently using the NCE powercab and aspirations to the ECoS using an ipod touch running touchcab instead of their own handheld.

I'll wait and see if the icons are a better solution than hint cards but they certainly work well with the more basic systems.

....since most of us DCC nerds are on here a lot trying very hard to justify spending £300 on a top end command station, I think most will do without the extra screen apps that nearly £500 might give us.....

....ESU ECoS can hardly be called portable and, due to it's cost, not likely to become a club choice even when the handheld becomes available.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick Dave.

What I said was......

.....When some of the features seen on those systems make it onto walkabout handsets.....

Meaning, that when the more advanced features, particularly the excellent UI's, find there way onto regular handsets. I'm not talking about £500 kit either.

Admittedly this will take time as nearly all the manufacturers concerned are relatively small businesses and will almost certainly have limited investment resources available.

......it has to be pointed out that the ESU ECoS is by far the most expensive controller/command station yet produced.

Sorry Dave that's far from correct.

The ECoS is actually the cheapest of what I would call the "high end" DCC systems.

Zimo, Veissmann, Marklin and Massoth are just some of the brands who produce much more expensive systems. wink.gif

You are quite right, I haven't. Has anybody?

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick Dave.

What I said was......

Meaning, that when the more advanced features, particularly the excellent UI's, find there way onto regular handsets. I'm not talking about £500 kit either.

Admittedly this will take time as nearly all the manufacturers concerned are relatively small businesses and will almost certainly have limited investment resources available.

I stand corrected but I don't think handhelds can hold much more information onscreen and still be handheld.

Sorry Dave that's far from correct.

The ECoS is actually the cheapest of what I would call the "high end" DCC systems.

Zimo, Veissmann, Marklin and Massoth are just some of the brands who produce much more expensive systems. wink.gif

Apart from the Zimo I have yet to meet anybody who has any of the other systems. Indeed, come to think of it, that 'yet to meet' also applies to Zimo.

I recently handled a Marklin system second hand. It went back to Germany. No meaningful bids here at all. Not surprising really. None of these manufacturers is in the least bit interested in the UK market and struggle in the US.

That last comment does not apply to ESU but the ECoS is the most expensive controller that the average buyer will see at a dealer.

My DT400 does show which functions are 'on' and that is invaluable for operating sound locos. It also gives a better insight into which function does which sound. Saves a lot of button pushing to find out if you can hear a sound and look at the display to see which function is actually on.

It is a shame that not all controllers give all functions. Am I right in suggesting that Dynamis is the only one that gives the option of latching or unlatched on every function?

I stand corrected but I don't think handhelds can hold much more information onscreen and still be handheld.

Of course there will be physical limitations, but it can be done.

Smart Phones (iPhone, Android etc.), iPod Touch, Dell Streak (a new small slate device) ? All can be used as DCC throttles with the appropriate interface and Apps.

For dedicated DCC devices the new Zimo MX32 handset appears to pack a lot onto its small colour screen.

More basic, but bigger than the average bear....

CT Elektronik HR3 handset ?

RR&Co +SmartHand

Bachmann Dynamis

ESU ECoSControl Radio

p.s. Before anyone says it, this is not about flashy gizmos, but is about improving the model train operating experience and getting away from all that button pushing. However it goes without saying, technology and features aren't much use if the user interface is a poor design.

Apart from the Zimo I have yet to meet anybody who has any of the other systems. Indeed, come to think of it, that 'yet to meet' also applies to Zimo.

I recently handled a Marklin system second hand. It went back to Germany. No meaningful bids here at all. Not surprising really. None of these manufacturers is in the least bit interested in the UK market and struggle in the US.

Some of the European brands have made small inroads into the US (ESU and Marklin with the Marklin fans). However, Lenz have a good presence there, although I believe they are by far the smallest of the big 5.

Until recently, the UK was a bit of a backwater for DCC and considering the size of the mainland European market (particularly Germany), it doesn't surprise me that some of the big names in European DCC haven't bothered with us.

In addition, most European brand systems tend to be quite expensive and support and documentation in English is a problem. This alone would probably put off most enterprising importers.

The same goes for the US manufacturers in Europe.

Apart from their tie-up with Gaugemaster in the UK, MRC have no interest in Europe.

Outside of the UK, nobody in Europe has heard of NCE.

CVP's EasyDCC system isn't marketed outside of N. America.

Digitrax only have a small presence this side of the "pond".

It is a shame that not all controllers give all functions. Am I right in suggesting that Dynamis is the only one that gives the option of latching or unlatched on every function?

I think big brother ECoS does, along with other "high-end" consoles.

I don't know about Zimo?

Non of the US systems sold here have that feature though and are poorer for it IMHO.

Whatever the shortcomings and faults with the Dynamis, its function control (particularly for sound) beats most of the competition hands down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having got into DCC only in 2010 and this week seeing my first sound locos performing, this is all over my head! - Reprogramming decoders so they all have the same functions - wow - maybe next year!

PaulRhB, thanks for the idea. I have copied what you did, lock stock and barrel! While I haven't got around to recording the CV settings yet, the addresses, functions and approximate colour coding to give visual cues will help considerably next Saturday (June 19th) when I am hosting a British Railway Modellers of Australia meeting, so otehrs will be able to run the sound locos up and down the remains of my branch line without me looking over their shoulders all the time.

Later, when I run Decoder Pro, I'll make a note of all the CV settings to include on the final versions of the cards.

Great idea! biggrin.gif

I started with the EZ command, currently using the NCE powercab and aspirations to the ECoS using an ipod touch running touchcab instead of their own handheld.

If the appeal of an ECoS is to run an iPod Touch throttle, then possibly a computer interface for the NCE and either RocRail or JMRI software might get you there for far less money spent. JMRI also has Android based throttles, though Android devices are not yet common.

My approach to functions is standardising where possible by remapping functions, and a printout description of each loco, a bit simpler than the one at the top of the thread.

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

The ECoS has a few more advantages as far as I'm concerned for the future. I'd rather have the controller unit than having to accomodate a laptop and screen, the iPod controller is a bonus compared to their own radio throttle.

Archived