Parkend Marsh Sidings in P4

Re6/6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Donw said:

My wife's Aunt was very surprised when one got in the Coleford Co-op.

Don

I would imagine that it was an unusual situation for the boar.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, figworthy said:

I would imagine that it was an unusual situation for the boar.

Adrian

They wouldn't serve him without proof of ID and also his Members Card.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

With all this talk of wild boar perhaps I should think about one or two........

I'd like him but sadly Shapeways are now defunct!

Wildboarshapeways.webp.2d1bc926321b22cbae78d735f5f9e26b.webp

...so I might think about this.....then again.....!

Wildboar1.webp.bcdf3e37c5f1c8d2daa35d6304bcef17.webp

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Actually the wild boar in the Forest had been hunted to extinction but in the 1990s some farm bred ones were released and in 2004 about 60 were released. These soon established and thrived. So apart from the preserved line the railways were gone when the boar returned.

Don

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

IF a sheep ran out in front of you  and was killed you could get a bill from the Sheep Badger (owner) and a nasty repair bill for your vehicle so locals avoided them.  The main towns Coleford, Cinderford and Lydney were outside the forest area. In smaller villages within the forest boundary the sheep were everywhere. You needed good fences or walls to keep them out of your garden. If the postie left your gate open they could easily be in. You had to watch where you trod on the pavements.

We also had the deer a group used to gather under the lamppost across the road at night. I found out just how good ABS brakes could be when one leapt from a high bank straight in front of me..

It could make a nice cameo to have someone trying to chase the sheep out of their garden.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Donw said:

IF a sheep ran out in front of you  and was killed you could get a bill....

Must admit that in 7 years or so of almost daily trips through the Forest I never once saw any sheep just run out in front of traffic like that. Wander across quieter roads, maybe, but not the way some other animals 'panic cross', like a deer I hit on Porlock Hill in Devon once....

Back in the Forest, I only ever saw a dead sheep once near the roadside, on the climb from Nailbridge to Plump Hill, on my way to the old Xerox factory at Mitcheldean.

Only times I saw boar or deer were late at night; a different job, before the trucks were fitted with trackers, & I was on nights, heading for Chepstow but taking a 'scenic diversion' for old times' sake, and 'officially' avoiding the low bridges on the main A48....😁👍

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Just seen on fb

IMG_1259.jpeg.93f96a546346b5772d4f9cc02f8959dd.jpegIMG_1258.jpeg.fff765464fc531c8f4bb0fa5fe6cc66d.jpeg

Not that I could find it and do anything with it, but there a prequel to that first picture actually at the sidings.

Also, phwoar, look at that cement mixer!

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Probably a Leyland Comet with a Vista vue or also known as the LAD cab.

Keith

I think the cement mixers were singularly Albions, either Reivers or Chieftains, at least up until mouth organ days, happy for someone more knowledgable to  confirm/deny.

Mike.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, DLT said:

Not sure if you've already seen them (I certainly haven't) but several photos of Parkend and Marsh Sidings here:

Dean Forest Society Facebook

Very many thanks for that link. I hadn't seen most of them before. They will give me so many really useful details to be added! 

Edited by Re6/6
missing word!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, DLT said:

Not sure if you've already seen them (I certainly haven't) but several photos of Parkend and Marsh Sidings here:

Dean Forest Society Facebook

What absolutely fab photos, David. Thanks for the link. And at (almost) the right time of year, too.

John - where did you put your misting machine?...

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 24/07/2024 at 15:37, Captain Kernow said:

What particularly gets me is how high those Herring are loaded!

Must have been an exceptional catch. 

• Funny 5