Parkend Marsh Sidings in P4

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, queensquare said:

Gorgeous

Jerry

I'm sure you are to some, Darling. 

• Funny 4

If there's one extra detail I may be permitted to suggest needs adding, that is rather lacking at present, but would absolutely nail the location & time period - it's sheep.

Sheep (or Scraggies as they were known locally) roamed free throughout the Forest of Dean and were an everyday part of the scene, until the Foot & Mouth outbreak around 2000 or so. They have returned since, but not in such numbers.

When I was delivering that way regularly in the '90s they would be sat right at the roadside, oblivious to traffic. They'd also be in the smaller towns like Parkend, not just in the fields & scrub.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

If there's one extra detail I may be permitted to suggest needs adding, that is rather lacking at present, but would absolutely nail the location & time period - it's sheep.

Sheep (or Scraggies as they were known locally) roamed free throughout the Forest of Dean and were an everyday part of the scene, until the Foot & Mouth outbreak around 2000 or so. They have returned since, but not in such numbers.

When I was delivering that way regularly in the '90s they would be sat right at the roadside, oblivious to traffic. They'd also be in the smaller towns like Parkend, not just in the fields & scrub.

I'll be there on Saturday if that helps. 

Rob

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I hadn't actually thought of that. It would be rather good to have few. Come to think of it WWS do 1mm static grass in cream for sheep's wool and Model U do some nice sheep. What would have been the breed I wonder. Black face or not!

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/31201/

Were they ever seen on the wharf grass in the middle?

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

I hadn't actually thought of that. It would be rather good to have few. Come to think of it WWS do 1mm static grass in cream for sheep's wool and Model U do some nice sheep. What would have been the breed I wonder. Black face or not!

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/31201/

Were they ever seen on the wharf grass in the middle?

I think this is now the Change of Mind that I alluded to over on Western Thunder...!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

From the website visitdeanwye.co.uk ....

Sheep

The Forest of Dean is famous for its large population of free roaming sheep derived from many breeds and include Welsh mountain, speckled faced or cheviots with the occasional kerry or ryeland.

There you go for breeds.

But applying static grass to models??!! Not sure that's needed or realistic in 4mm scale.

Many years ago I built an OO/HO layout that in it's UK guise* I set in the Forest of Dean. I used Merit sheep which seemed quite adequate at the time to get the 'flavour' of the area. Maybe these days I'd give them a bit of 'weathering' to tone them down a bit, but static grass might make them look like they've touched an electric fence!!??

20240710_170841.jpg.47b681846a4792c4a036931977133221.jpg

20240710_170817.jpg.f750df81168b681b1831a3a70eeafdb6.jpg

* the HO guise was American outline, but not too location-specific!!

• Like 10

On 18/06/2024 at 20:42, Re6/6 said:

The two that didn't perform very well were the 'compensated' ones with rocking internal bearings probably proving the theory that SWB wagons don't need suspension although with BB springing they perform beautifully but there's more work involved!

I've found that the design of some compensated W irons permits yawing of the axle leading to derailment. I only use compensation on 4-wheeled wagons where it is appropriate to fit a tie-bar between the W irons. A phosphor-bronze tie bar prevents yawing but is flexible enough not to impair the compensation.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Sometime before the F&M but after the railway had been closed  some Soay sheep were introduced in the area to the right as you head down the road from Parkend to bream. The fact that they were not white seem to confuse the army and they did not get culled. The army also seemed to think our geese might be sheep as we had several low level helicopter passes over the paddock.

The area between Coalway and Parkend  had a lot of Jacobs or more likely Jacob crosses with the black and white colouring. This was a very interesting area.  The line from Parkend to up to Point Quarry  had been built on a different alignment from the tramway.  It was somewaht higher and a one point crossed the tramway line into the Quarry which had  a Z bend under the railway something I thought would make an interesting layout feature.  The stone blocks on the Bixslade tramway were still in place where to ran down towards the Stone works. The railway and the Tramway ran along different sides of the Mushet Iron Works and near the pond there was the stone blocks of a tramway turnout still in place this could be accessed from Gorsty Knoll.

Don

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Here's another view:

20240713_153813.jpg.8074706019dcdd6bce1b0e6d06bb450b.jpg

Cracking !!! But at the risk of incurring a yellow card…. 8B51 would be a better headcode, Gloucester tripper jobs. Runs away to hide in a perilously short clearing point… 😀

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Cracking !!! But at the risk of incurring a yellow card…. 8B51 would be a better headcode, Gloucester tripper jobs. Runs away to hide in a perilously short clearing point… 😀

Careful Phil. The Forest Mafia might send a few wild Boar over the Severn to see you……..

Keith

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

8B51 would be a better headcode, Gloucester tripper jobs

You will find diesels with that headcode appearing from time to time, which explains why another headcode was used on D6331 (and was not changed by the traincrew at the start of that day's diagram...) 😁

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

We'll put this down to post RailexWinchcombe rat-induced fatigue......verbal warning only....

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithHC said:

Careful Phil. The Forest Mafia might send a few wild Boar over the Severn to see you……..

Keith

Great! Need some sausages for a Barbie this weekend . Where’s that Palethorpes van? 😀

37 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

You will find diesels with that headcode appearing from time to time, which explains why another headcode was used on D6331 (and was not changed by the traincrew at the start of that day's diagram...) 😁

And they are far enough away from senior management for no-one to notice… 

18 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

We'll put this down to post RailexWinchcombe rat-induced fatigue......verbal warning only....

Phew ! Normal service will resume shortly… where’s that snagging list? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Great! Need some sausages for a Barbie this weekend . Where’s that Palethorpes van? 😀

As long as its not coupled to the giraffe car...

• Funny 3