More model ideas

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

Nope.  Not going into gramatics but back in the old days it was called OO Gauge.   Besides if you went in a shop and asked for OO gauge track you would most likely get shown towards HO/OO gauge Peco.  It was used as a generalisation.  Scale was used with 4mm to be precise, as in correctly scaled 4mm track.  'Proper gauge 4mm track' just makes no sense whatsoever!  

Gauge regarding track as a railway person, refers to parameters of the infrastructure.  

Thanks.

Eh? Now you have confused me - gauge is the distance between the rails.  If we are talking about 16.5mm gauge, that is 00 which is what @Wickham Green said. 00 is not proper 4mm scale track as that would be P4, not 00.

Roy

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Eh? Now you have confused me - gauge is the distance between the rails.  If we are talking about 16.5mm gauge, that is 00 which is what @Wickham Green said. 00 is not proper 4mm scale track as that would be P4, not 00.

Roy

Going further O/T.

"Proper" 4mm scale track can take many forms beyond P4.

It could be 12mm gauge for 3' systems, 9mm for 2'3".

What about Irish models at 4mm/foot scale? The  standard gauge is 21mm (or as near as).

00 (on it's own) is a b&stardised scale/gauge combination - of which the origins have been well documented elsewhere.

00 is 4mm/foot scale, but with an incorrect-to-scale gauge of 16.5mm.

Other versions of "00" are available -e.g. 00-16.2 or 00-SF, 4mm/foot with 16.2mm gauge.

Not forgetting 009, 00n3 etc and many other combinations of scale/gauge out there. 

Apologies to Fran and the A/S team for fuelling the off-topic gauge war stuff....................

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, newbryford said:

What about Irish models at 4mm/foot scale? The  standard gauge is 21mm (or as near as).

5' 3" x 4mm/1ft is exactly 21mm.

"As near as" is not as good as "dead on"  lol 😃

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Colin_McLeod said:

5' 3" x 4mm/1ft is exactly 21mm.

"As near as" is not as good as "dead on"  lol 😃

I used 1600mm and 76.2 scale - it came out at 20.99737mm.......

I challenge anyone to measure the .00263mm with conventional methods!

• RMweb Gold

Irish gauge is defined as 5ft 3" which in metric is referred to as 1600mm but mathematically should be 1600.2mm.

Divide 1600.2 by 76.2 and you get exactly 21mm.

It's the 1600mm that is "as near as"

• Like 2

One of the oddest quirks of ( railway ) history is how a British Committee created a compromise between 4'8½'' and 6'2'' and managed to come up with a nice round metric figure !  

...... anyway, we need MORE MODEL IDEAS ...................... has anyone mentioned a 4SUB or J69 recently ?

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Irish gauge is defined as 5ft 3" which in metric is referred to as 1600mm but mathematically should be 1600.2mm.

Divide 1600.2 by 76.2 and you get exactly 21mm.

It's the 1600mm that is "as near as"

Blame Wikipedia for 1600mm.....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

One of the oddest quirks of ( railway ) history is how a British Committee created a compromise between 4'8½'' and 6'2'' and managed to come up with a nice round metric figure !  

...... anyway, we need MORE MODEL IDEAS ...................... has anyone mentioned a 4SUB or J69 recently ?

Ulster Railway was 6ft 2in.  Dublin to Kingstown 4ft 8.5in   Each proposed a different compromise.  One was 5ft 6in and the other was 5ft.  The gauge commission averaged these at 5ft 3in.

Back on topic. How about an NIR Hunslet and an NIR 80 class. Or maybe a GNR(I) 4-4-0.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Ulster Railway was 6ft 2in.  Dublin to Kingstown 4ft 8.5in   Each proposed a different compromise.  One was 5ft 6in and the other was 5ft.  The gauge commission averaged these at 5ft 3in.

It does make one wonder about the Irish......

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

It does make one wonder about the Irish......

No - but it does make one wonder about the Board of Trade ................................... fortunately, though, they thought better than to impose a compromise gauge between 4'8½'' and 7’0¼’’  or we'd still be converting bits of the UK system to this day !

( Some of us are still converting 16.5mm to 18.2mm - but let's not go back to that argument ! )

...... anyway, has anyone mentioned a Brighton D1 or Southern W recently ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

If you have any Deltics on order, they are now coming last 😉

Roy

I already expect that as mine's coming from Yorkshire to Lancashire.................

• Funny 2

11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

...... anyway, we need MORE MODEL IDEAS ......................

Your wish is my command!

Top of my list is a GWR 2251. The current Bachmann offering is ok but no where near 2022 standards. They have plenty of appeal being spread widely across the GWR network, plus A/S already have some of the tenders they ran with tooled already thanks to the Manor. I'd take at least 3 late crest versions, if not more if the right model/number was offered!

It has already been said before here but I will add my vote to the pile with an L&Y Class 25. I guess the L&Y Class 23 would be a sensible choice alongside the Class 25 given they were rebuilds so opportunity for some commonality of components (I know this isn't always how model manufacturing works though)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Fredo said:

What about the mk1 Rk

The are lots of Mk1 restaurant / buffet cars out their but not WR or SR versions in blue / grey.

The 800xx Kitchen cars might be interesting though, a few remain even!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Things that would sell 3-in-a-box:

• Properly proportioned pre- and post-WW2 GWR Minks - including the plywood type.
  • RCH 1907-specification PO wagons.
  • LMS vans (pick as many as you like, the field is wide open).
  • ex-Air Ministry 14T tank wagons.
  • non-generic 6-wheel milk tankers.

Things that would sell one-in-a-box if done better than in the past....

• LMS Stove R
  • LMS 42' bogie CCT.
  • LNER Gresley corridor coaches.
  • Palethorpes sausage van (just announce that, Hornby will erupt into indignant territorial action and do the rest) 🤡.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/06/2022 at 11:57, 97403_Ixion said:

In for a penny...

My guess (loco wise) is the Class 20.

Why?  Lots of different liveries, plenty of different variations, they worked with coal trains ('Powering Britain')... stick them on their cab ends on the table the they will make a fine pair of Accu-pepper-pots too for the rest of the family! 😉

Would be a bold move following the recent Bachmann retool

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, E100 said:

Would be a bold move following the recent Bachmann retool

The new Bachmann 20 is really good and the old model wasn’t all that bad, save for the lack of lights.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 97406 said:

The new Bachmann 20 is really good and the old model wasn’t all that bad, save for the lack of lights.

Exactly. I am sure Accurascale could make a great model of a 20 but the current one on the market is being updated. It is similar to people suggesting the 60, there is not too much wrong with the existing model on the market (lighting functions could be upgraded). Suggestions should be commercially viable and not just wish-listing. There are other lower hanging fruit, e.g. Class 50 and many steam engines, that make more commercial sense and are much more likely to appear.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

Exactly. I am sure Accurascale could make a great model of a 20 but the current one on the market is being updated. It is similar to people suggesting the 60, there is not too much wrong with the existing model on the market (lighting functions could be upgraded). Suggestions should be commercially viable and not just wish-listing. There are other lower hanging fruit, e.g. Class 50 and many steam engines, that make more commercial sense and are much more likely to appear.

Yes, the 50 desperately needs a new version, having wrestled with my Hornby ones getting DCC fitted and also sorting the windscreen profiles out. I know I keep harping on about this and the 40s, but given how Accurascale have got the class 37 cab just right, especially the windscreen area, a 40 would also be great, though I’ll settle for spare 37 bodyshells to cut up and incorporate into Bachmann or even Lima class 40s!

I do appreciate the amount of work that goes into such models, so doubtless there will be new releases I haven’t even thought of that I’ll go for when they are announced, though. 

• Like 1