More model ideas

• RMweb Premium

There are several diesels which although done reasonably could be improved.

• Class 58 - the Heljan/EFE model isn't bad but Accurascale could easily do something better.
  • Class 40 - the body of the Bachmann model is still very good but the bogies show their age and leave a lot of scope for improvement
  • Classes 44/45/46 - I think the Heljan model a missed opportunity in not really moving things on beyond the old Bachmann model. The Bachmann model is still very good (overall I prefer it to the Heljan, though Heljan has some nice details) but Accurascale could take it up a notch or two
  • Class 35 Hymek - Although the Heljan model captures the look of the Hymek very well and remains a very good model, it is a little basic in some areas and there is scope to make something better
  • Class 33 - I am not quite sure why but the Heljan model has never really impressed me despite having a soft spot for the prototype, ditto classes 26 and 27

Any of the as yet unmodelled AC electrics would be great, and a Class 120 DMU would be fantastic. I would love a good model of the Fell, but it is such a niche type that I suspect that well was emptied by KR, at least for a long time. Ditto their Leader

For steam I think there's still enough scope for new tooling not yet done. for rolling stock, where to start? Accurate pre-grouping coaches would be nice, although I recognize the commercial logic behind generic pre-grouping coaches as per Hattons, Hornby and Rapido I just can't get enthused by that idea.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Islesy said:

You mean the 234 examples, over 22 diagrams and two different lengths, built between 1932 and 1952? That cover 3000 gallon tanks with ladder and central filler, or 3000 gallon tanks with ladder and end mounted ladder, or the 3000 gallon short tank with an off-centre ladder and platform, or the 3000 gallon twin tank with twin ladders? And that's without looking at the frame, ladder and tie assemblies.

And no, I'm not saying that 'we' will never get an accurate milk tanker, I'm saying that the subject requires an immense amount of in-depth research, and that commercial considerations will dictate what, if anything, gets produced accurately.

Best wishes,

Paul.

No, you misunderstand, I'm not suggesting at all that you do all or most of what you've quoted above (all the GWR versions) and certainly not the longer underframe version which were a small percentage. I was just wondering whether a 'toe in the water' minimalist approach of just doing the later GWR underframe (the one with the large brake lever at the right hand end) and then producing it with one Unigate and another with one Express Dairy tanker top could possibly be a viable commercial proposition ? 

If the decision is that more versions can be produced, then well I'm all for more.

The reasons for suggesting Unigate and Express Dairy tankers is that by the end of the 50s all the smaller tanker fleets had been merged into the big two, and mostly their tanker 'fittings' (straps, ladder positions etc) were different, so I'm trying to please both camps.

Edited by Combe Martin

• RMweb Premium

Further to the above, and with the non availability of the David Geen metal (and needing considerable skill to produce) kit, currently my thoughts on a DIY 'more accurate but probably not spot on' milk tanker are a combination of a heavily modified Dapol underframe with a Hornby or Lima Tanker Top plus some etched brass fittings from Rumney Models.

For someone that needs a lot of tankers (me) I don't think it'll be a quick job.

• Agree 1

My apologies if this has already been mentioned somewhere in here, but I would love to see some Accurascale loco hauled MK3A's.

I believe given how many years they have been around, multitudes of different liveries from Blue & Grey all the way to the final passenger operator still using them Chiltern Railways, that they could keep selling through various batches & eras for many years to come.

I think we can all agree given how amazing the already released MK2's are that an A/S MK3A would be stunning! 

• Like 1

The 0-6-0ST 14" Cylinder Andrew Barclays would be well worth looking at, alongside the Hunslet 48150s, 50550s, and Austerities... (Or just the Austerities and Jessie, cause from the tooling for Jessie in it's current guise you could make 3 or 4 locos), plus both ranges of locomotives would go well with the 16 ton minerals and other wagons Accurascale have produced...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Combe Martin said:

I was just wondering whether a 'toe in the water' minimalist approach of just doing the later GWR underframe (the one with the large brake lever at the right hand end) and then producing it with one Unigate and another with one Express Dairy tanker top could possibly be a viable commercial proposition ?

It wouldn't be, no.

7 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

There are several diesels which although done reasonably could be improved.

• Class 58 - the Heljan/EFE model isn't bad but Accurascale could easily do something better.
  • Class 40 - the body of the Bachmann model is still very good but the bogies show their age and leave a lot of scope for improvement
  • Classes 44/45/46 - I think the Heljan model a missed opportunity in not really moving things on beyond the old Bachmann model. The Bachmann model is still very good (overall I prefer it to the Heljan, though Heljan has some nice details) but Accurascale could take it up a notch or two
  • Class 35 Hymek - Although the Heljan model captures the look of the Hymek very well and remains a very good model, it is a little basic in some areas and there is scope to make something better
  • Class 33 - I am not quite sure why but the Heljan model has never really impressed me despite having a soft spot for the prototype, ditto classes 26 and 27

Any of the as yet unmodelled AC electrics would be great, and a Class 120 DMU would be fantastic. I would love a good model of the Fell, but it is such a niche type that I suspect that well was emptied by KR, at least for a long time. Ditto their Leader

For steam I think there's still enough scope for new tooling not yet done. for rolling stock, where to start? Accurate pre-grouping coaches would be nice, although I recognize the commercial logic behind generic pre-grouping coaches as per Hattons, Hornby and Rapido I just can't get enthused by that idea.

Would be interesting to know in what areas the Heljan Hymek is "a little basic" and what is the "scope to make something better"....?