More model ideas

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

I'm still trying to count the rivets ......... or whatever all those spots are.

LED's on the front?

Or the stud things on the obstacle deflector? Maybe it's going for the goth look?

Edited by PieGuyRob

The class 116 is still a first gen MU with no model available, odd given there were 100 odd of them(?), and given the widespread use of them across South Wales, Scotland, and the Midlands, surely a worthwhile consideration?

• Agree 5

51 minutes ago, BVMR21 said:

The class 116 is still a first gen MU with no model available, odd given there were 100 odd of them(?), and given the widespread use of them across South Wales, Scotland, and the Midlands, surely a worthwhile consideration?

Not only there though, but 116s actually spread their wings much further for reliefs and holiday workings.  Tyseley 116s were regulars down the Cambrian and North Wales coast during high summer as well as operating reliefs t othe liks of Reading and Bristol where necessary, and covering for other lower density types too,  Pretty sure they went to Cleethorpes, probably Skeggy and Yarmouth too.       

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I still stick with 2 major locomotives, one steam, one diesel ... if the wishlist was narrowed down ..

1. Parallel boilered Royal Scot - plenty of 'variations'.

2. Dare I mention it ..... Class 40.

AccuraScale versions of these 2 would be amazing.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Covkid said:

Not only there though, but 116s actually spread their wings much further for reliefs and holiday workings.  Tyseley 116s were regulars down the Cambrian and North Wales coast during high summer as well as operating reliefs t othe liks of Reading and Bristol where necessary, and covering for other lower density types too,  Pretty sure they went to Cleethorpes, probably Skeggy and Yarmouth too.       

They did especially after gaining lavatory trailers and gangways in the mid 80s, although it wasn't unheard of for non lavatory non gangway fitted units to turn up on Cambrian crowd-buster runs which must have been fun.

The 116 was the original Yarmouth to Barmouth train in the Midlands.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, ac1874 said:

I don't mind it, at least it looks better than a Class 70 although that is possibly damning it with faint praise.

With that big "BEACON" logo on the side GBRf missed a trick not having it numbered "303" (Way back in history there used to be a radio station in Wolverhampton called Beacon whose jingle was "Beacon Radio 303") especially in the black and gold livery.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/08/2024 at 19:26, ac1874 said:

On 13/08/2024 at 19:40, stewartingram said:

What a mess that looks!

7 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I think that 99 looks great.

The "labelling" could be a lot tidier.

It all looks rather randomly applied and there's no reason to duplicate the number or "BEACON" on the same side.

• RMweb Gold
On 14/08/2024 at 10:52, BVMR21 said:

And North London/Lea Valley, and a batch with TCs was built for Bristol area.  I have nowt against 117s, but their choice by both Lima and Bachmann seems odd considering their relatively restricted geographical range cf  the 116s. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

And North London/Lea Valley, and a batch with TCs was built for Bristol area.  I have nowt against 117s, but their choice by both Lima and Bachmann seems odd considering their relatively restricted geographical range cf  the 116s. 

Similarly, I'm still waiting for 118s to arrive.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/18438

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, MJI said:

use a 117 with different headcode boxes

Absolutely. Creating a 118 is a nice fun and straightforward project.

9 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Similarly, I'm still waiting for 118s to arrive.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/18438

Having no markers that'll be one of the early sets if it's a 118 as i believe most had markers... or one of the early 117s with the curved headcode box. Being so similar I struggle with telling the difference!

On 14/08/2024 at 10:52, BVMR21 said:

Also regularly worked in Devon & Cornwall in the 60’s,70’s and 80’s, so, echoing what others have said, it’s surprising that manufacturers have overlooked the 116’s, particularly when you consider that they were one of the biggest DMU classes, in terms of vehicles produced.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

If only I could find a green 117 3-car set that's actually available, instead of of "out of stock" on every website.

I have a feeling my LHS has a green Bachmann 117 sitting on their shelves.  Try giving Topp Trains of Stafford a call if you are still interested. 

I agree that a 117 > 118 would be straightforward with headcode "caps" and square buffers. 

19 hours ago, The Johnster said:

1 hour ago, nickb4141 said:

Also regularly worked in Devon & Cornwall in the 60’s,70’s and 80’s, so, echoing what others have said, it’s surprising that manufacturers have overlooked the 116’s, particularly when you consider that they were one of the biggest DMU classes, in terms of vehicles produced.

Blimey even more than I thought then. Definitely very odd then how they've not had a model produced, seems like many modellers could use one, given first introduction in the mid to late 1950s, running all the way through to the early 1990s, plus that wider geographical area, really odd; 2 and 3 car DMUs, with a large service area, long service period, plenty of liveries, seems perfect for almost any manufacturer!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

126 and IC

no models.

Apart from Trix Trans Pennine DMCL, no Swindon DMU cars have been produced RTR

11 minutes ago, MJI said:

Apart from Trix Trans Pennine DMCL, no Swindon DMU cars have been produced RTR

Apart from - well, with the notable exception of - the 124s ( & 123s ), no Swindon DMUs were particularly good looking - with that rather bored-looking two window slab front !