More model ideas

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Never been a bone-boy; maybe I should blow it up.

My first - legit - cab ride was in a 58 (Daw Mill Colliery from Nuneaton to Leicester) so I will always have a bit of a soft spot for them even if they were a bit of a dead end for the development of British Type 5s.

A provocative post but the clues (eg hiring of Alex Carpenter, clues in recent accurascale videos, and the compelling business case) that accurascale are looking at an hst and mk3 tooling project. Of course I could be completely wrong, but on the assumption there may be something in this, maybe we could help out accurascale by suggesting the liveries and variants of hst and mk3 stock that we would love to see? 

From my perspective I love the sectorisation era so something quite generic like any swallow livery hst would be welcome. Also a wessex 442 in NSE would be amazing. As an outlier choice, how about 43038 in the full yellow end swallow hst livery? I presume Alex would want to introduce 43025,but in what livery? 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I must admit I'd like an Accurascale HST, especially if a correct formation BR Cross Country set was produced.  Of course, they could also produce the one off abomination where someone at a depot painted up the front of one power car in a livery "inspired by" Irish Rail for the Holyhead run.  I say "inspired by" as it looked nothing like IR's "Tippex" livery and just looked bad.

Hornby have a strange attitude to their otherwise not bad HST so perhaps it is another relatively low hanging fruit for a competitor to take on.

• Like 3

The 58 would be an interesting choice - one old one the basis for the 'replica LMS twin' I believe?

I'd still like a couple of ex. LMS steamies ...

Parallel boilered Royal Scot - tender options available - Fowler and Stanier I've seen.

8F of course.

Black 5 perhaps considering the recent perhaps not as well developed as it should have been issue.

Class 40 of course!

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yes 58 and 40 top of my D and E wishlist.

GWR County, although I believe Rapido looking at that atm.

Also I’d like to see the unlined gem of LNWR getting a look in. I’ve mentioned it before, but a Claughton, Precedent and matching stock would be very much welcome.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 22/05/2024 at 21:45, rob D2 said:

HTV 

I have the gift of second sight … if anyone wants the lottery results for next week, DM me 

• RMweb Gold

HST very much outside my frame of interest, but I'm sure would sell.  This thing was in front line service for over 40 years and an absolute icon, to the extent that graphics representing trains usually used the silhouette or outline.  They got everywhere there was a main line, as near universal as it got between 1980 and 2020, and the mk3 coach had a pretty fair spread as a loco-hauled item as well.  The train that saved British Rail. 

I was working on the railway when they were introduced, and we were very proud of them.  At that time, the fastest-timetabled diesel service in the world, the fastest in the world running on 'normal' (not specially built Shinkansen/TGV) tracks, and the only 125mph service anywhere in the world that did not require reservations or premium fares for airco, eth, air suspension, and double-glazing.  Quite an achievemen; I was still working on the railway when it was introduced, sometimes in brake vans, and we were rightly and justifiably very proud of it!  It, and the mk3 coaches, reversed a decline in railway passenger traffic that had been endemic for more than half a century, and led directly to the modern situation, where there is more traffic than the TOCs or NR can cope with.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

... and led directly to the modern situation, where there is more traffic than the TOCs or NR can cope with.

Which is probably why the succeeding generations of passenger stock have been designed to discourage travel. ☹️

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about this, I wonder if a 58 might be something Cavalex might have on their radar post the 60?  It would complement their other Type 5s nicely and build on their reputation for good heavy haulers, and with the 56 and 60 they have demonstrated they are not afraid to take on and beat competing models.  I just wonder if they feel there is enough demand for a 58 when the Heljan/EFE model is still knocking around.  That model has room to be improved on so perhaps it might be worth a punt for them, rather than Accurascale.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So there’s duplication with the Class 60, which all going well will mean both manufacturers benefit.

There’s lots of excitement over the Class 25s coming out from SLW and Bachmann, with the Heljan one also that is still a lot better than the early Bachmann one.

I’m trying not….to…..blurt….it…out, but…

You should do a 40!

There, I feel much better getting that off my chest!

Despite having 10 detailed Bachmann examples, I’m always in the market for more.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Banger Blue said:

D200 / 40122 mid 80’s condition, pretty pretty please! 

Photo Credit: Chris Brown (Flickr)

40122 Chester 10.03.84

That'd be a good'un, though the green one I want is now 40106. Here's my D200 alongside departmental 97405 (40060). When it comes to Class 40s, 25s and 37s, I can't get enough of 'em, even though I'm spending a little time in Spoonville at the moment!

IMG_00891.JPG.c443e4be54975330807730ded48c2cb9.JPG

• Like 2

On 26/05/2024 at 13:00, MoonM said:

A provocative post but the clues (eg hiring of Alex Carpenter, clues in recent accurascale videos, and the compelling business case) that accurascale are looking at an hst and mk3 tooling project. Of course I could be completely wrong, but on the assumption there may be something in this, maybe we could help out accurascale by suggesting the liveries and variants of hst and mk3 stock that we would love to see? 

From my perspective I love the sectorisation era so something quite generic like any swallow livery hst would be welcome. Also a wessex 442 in NSE would be amazing. As an outlier choice, how about 43038 in the full yellow end swallow hst livery? I presume Alex would want to introduce 43025,but in what livery? 

one day, I might be able to replicate this on my layout

IMG_0227.jpeg

• Like 5

On 26/05/2024 at 13:00, MoonM said:

Taking you at your word, I would love Mk. IIIs with the appropriate modifications to run between my pair of Chiltern 68s or a 68 and a DVT. I have to admit that the best time to introduce them would have been when the model 68s were first introduced. Perhaps there isn’t enough demand any more to make them viable but on the other hand, as part of a tooling suite, they might be. Accurascale is known for producing variants on toolings.

I posted this picture a long time ago, showing how I have had to improvise.

68010 (Chiltern) on Funny Train.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It appears some modellers' wishes have been catered for by another manufacturer.

Despite all of the 'talk', the only big difference is the addition of lighting and augmented DCC functionality, and that uncoupling device ... at what price?  The 08/09.

Still waiting for the A/S 40, Black 5, 8F, Parallel Scot, Jubilee ...  perhaps a hydraulic Warship 42 ...

Al.

Edited by atom3624

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

It appears some modellers' wishes have been catered for by another manufacturer.

Despite all of the 'talk', the only big difference is the addition of lighting and augmented DCC functionality, and that uncoupling device ... at what price?  The 08/09.

In terms of detail I'd say it's streets ahead of the current Bachmann or Hornby offerings. As much detail as we now expect from recent releases. The lighting and auto uncoupler are amazing. But the price? Going by other Bachmann recent releases I fear it will be astronomical. The only competition is Hornby, who also charge an arm and a leg for what is now an inferior product. Maybe if A N Other manufacturer coughaccurascalecough announce a similar spec 08 at a reasonable price point it will temper Bachmann's pricing, as has happened with the 31. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Still waiting for the A/S 40, Black 5, 8F, Parallel Scot, Jubilee ...  perhaps a hydraulic Warship 42 ...

Al.

And a stay alive. Along with sound and lighting, that’s quite a lot going on in a small locomotive, even more so for the versions with auto coupling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Only big difference? What do you want, more wheels a coal tender, maybe a coat hanger on its roof , it’s a 08. It goes to show how good the older models were.  Prices well it’s not going to be cheap but what is nowadays? I recon £150 standard £240 sound and £270 for the dogs dangles 

• Like 1

• Accurascale staff
16 minutes ago, farren said:

Only big difference? What do you want, more wheels a coal tender, maybe a coat hanger on its roof , it’s a 08. It goes to show how good the older models were.  Prices well it’s not going to be cheap but what is nowadays? I recon £150 standard £240 sound and £270 for the dogs dangles 

Might hold true for the accurascale one but this isnt the thread for price speculation about other manufacturers 😃😃

• Agree 3

I'd love to see a coat hangar in there - removable of course with optional jackets - held by magnets perhaps!

Looks like the 08/09 is a done deal, so unless they 'do a Hornby' and price themselves out of the market of normal mortals, it's back to 'what else do we like' ....

Most popular locomotive wish by a country mile, for at least 12-15 months, has been the Class 40.

It's all gone very quiet on 'that other manufacturer's site' who have announced one, and I for one would love an AccuraScale Class 40 ...  

I'm just trying to imagine what the weight would be!!

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

Don't worry, it'll have 8 axles to spread the load.  They used to regularly turn up at Barmouth when the bridge was barred to some Class 25s so must have been relatively tippy-toed in real life.

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

I'd love to see a coat hangar in there - removable of course with optional jackets - held by magnets perhaps!

Looks like the 08/09 is a done deal, so unless they 'do a Hornby' and price themselves out of the market of normal mortals, it's back to 'what else do we like' ....

Most popular locomotive wish by a country mile, for at least 12-15 months, has been the Class 40.

It's all gone very quiet on 'that other manufacturer's site' who have announced one, and I for one would love an AccuraScale Class 40 ...  

Al.

On this forum perhaps, but I’m not sure it’s all that representative.

CS 73/9, a 185 or a fresh run of Voyagers would all be more popular than another Class 40 I reckon. I think the sales are in the classes still operating commonly on the network. 

I did call the class 60 and 08 as likely previously in this thread…

Edited by Iskra

Well an A4 or Coronation class loco that can go around a second radius curve without a flangeless rear wheel would probably attract attention.

• Agree 2