More model ideas

26 minutes ago, 60800 said:

I'm in the same boat. I have 14 PC's from the current tooling and I'm only really looking at an East Midlands HST before I'm 'done' with my fleet.

What would convince me to buy an Accurascale (or RevolutioN) HST would be if the NMT was modelled properly and in full, as bar a Cross Country set, that is the only gap in my fleet.

Cheers

Well , that's two of you not buying anymore HSTs but on that basis why do upgrades 37/47/66 etc , they'll always be a market for widespread items for  people upgrading or starting fresh 

• Agree 1

On 16/03/2023 at 07:52, toby_tl10 said:

I made a case for the HST

I have often said I think there would be mileage in it. The thing is, how far down the rabbit hole does somebody go with this to the point where tooling every niche item on what is a long list becomes more trouble than it is worth?

An accurate NMT would be great, but if it was going to cost  £750 then I don't think there'd be that many queuing up for it.

For me, I own a Scotrail Inter7City set that is out of region for passenger use but I needed a HST on the layout (given the sets were done in Doncaster, they are in region for moves).

In reality though, the only HSTs (as full sets) I could really ever justify would be NMT (sold my last one because it just wasn't good enough for what it was worth), XC or Pullman. RCS if that set ever gets out again too. The HST is actually about to hit the point where it is not getting many more liveries and so the market will be set as such. Colas power cars is an option, but that wouldn't sell coaches which is probably a lot of the tooling cost.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Well , that's two of you not buying anymore HSTs but on that basis why do upgrades 37/47/66 etc , they'll always be a market for widespread items for  people upgrading or starting fresh 

I'd buy more 37's (and have 37714 on order) because they are singular locos. HST's have to be full matching sets for me, so if I wanted another VTEC or LNER pair of PC's I would pick up another Hornby pack. I would only not do this if the colour matching was spot on between new PC's and existing stock. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Awe hell , suspect its a kettle. Thoughts of my lovely 313/3145/315/507/508 receding , much  like my hair 

Boo hoo 

Several units have been self converting to steam technology in recent weeks, a 465, 3x175’s and a 323… indeed Wilmslow its becoming a weekly event for a unit to bonfire itself…

so units are not totally out of the running.

• Funny 3

On 12/03/2023 at 23:33, wombatofludham said:

I wasn't making a case for those models, just what I would buy if they were available.  However, the anti-unit bias is something else.  Thing is, how can a design of electric unit which has run on the Eastern region, Scottish Region, London Midland, around Yorkshire, in various liveries, right through into privatisation, be niche (Class 320-322), or the standardised PEP units which have run on networks around Glasgow, Liverpool and both sides of the Thames?  The DMU classes I noted were also widely used (with the possible exception of the Class 114, and the two small classes of Gloucester Class 100 and Park Royal 103, which I was highlighting only because they happened to run in the areas I'm modelling) so are hardly niche.

Also, the Irish market is a bit more complex than you suggest.  Even in the modern post ICR railway there are three other classes of DMU, plus the Mk4 stock used on the Cork main line not yet modelled.  The cross border "De Dietrich" Enterprise stock also hasn't been made, and both these run with locos.  In Northern Ireland the two types of CAF unit also work through to Dublin from time to time.  That's before we go back in time for a loco to work with the NIR Mk2 stock which IRM produced (Hunslet-EE101 Class) or the iconic 80 class DEMU.  IRM have gone for the most modern Irish train, which is in contrast to their first Irish loco, the venerable "A" class, and a design that is probably a big sell to "loco centric" modellers.  Loco haulage was largely killed off by the 22XXX units and I doubt units have an easier market in Ireland than here.  Yet IRM have gone for them.  They are spending hard earned cash on tooling up a suite of units for a smaller market when they could have done some more locos or rolling stock, or the 2600 or 2800 two car units.  That has to be a big pointer that units can be made to work in the market if the price and payment methods are there.

I hope Accurascale go for the 320-322 series to the same standard as their ICR units at some point, plenty of liveries and geographical spread for them to attack.

I could do with a 103 in blue though for my western region layout near westbury 1967

• RMweb Premium
On 18/03/2023 at 14:33, Wickham Green too said:

In my book - well, in my Platform 5 book - a 387 IS an Electrostar. 🙄

But an Electrostar can be many other units in the family!

• Agree 1

On 17/03/2023 at 20:25, reddragon said:

How many times do I need so say Electrostar or class 387 for it to come true? Or Aventra.

CTRL+C then CTRL+V & hold 🤣

I am amazed the Electrostar hasn't happened yet. Whether that is a 387 or another one.

And anyone looking to the future I expect should be looking at Aventra or Civity for where the landscape is going. Aventra around London, Civity seem to be getting popular elsewhere (along with the Flirt which Hornby are on with).

Saying that, the only one of all those I'd be after (I think) would be a 195 (331 at a push) which if anything is the odd one out of the Civity DMUs.

Bringing my thoughts here so as to stop cluttering up other threads.

I do have some ideas that could be both nice to see and useful in plugging the gaps in the LNER locomotive rosters; if we stick to the GER theme, the Holden T26 'Intermediates', aka the LNER E4 2-4-0's would be nice filler, to both the 'branchline' scenes, and also the pre-Grouping set; while the other one plugs one of the big holes- the 'North-East deficit; that being the paucity of RTR locomotives from the North Eastern Railway and the other constituent railways from further north. Specifically I refer to Sir Vincent Raven's S3-class mixed traffic 4-6-0's; otherwise better known as the LNER B16's; mainly the B16/1's, as they had the longest run, but from what I've seen in pictures, the Gresley rebuilt B16/2's and the Thompson rebuilt B16/3's are almost identical to each other, so that would save a bit on retooling.

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, toby_tl10 said:

Not sure if it's mentioned before, I've just found a countdown timer on Accurascale's "What's New" page.

https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news

Well, I don’t think we had an announcement this week, so we must be due one given how frequently the lads seem to announce items. 😉

Roy

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• Accurascale staff
1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

Is that GMT or Summer Time ? 🙄

Noon on Wednesday will be our new announcement :) 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, McC said:

Noon on Wednesday will be our new announcement :) 

Yes, forgot clocks changing!

Any 'hints' ? I travelled on a 375,377 & 387 yesterday. 375 had best seats, 387 best layout, 377 my favourite livery!