More model ideas

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sga962 said:

Maybe not for a layout, but I have the space for at least display purposes, and definitely the desire for it. As for cost..., thats what savings and things are for. This is something I've wanted for a LONG time, I'd make it work. Even if I have to try and do it myself as I currently am.

(Also; not a he :P)

IMG_20211221_135719.jpg

IMG_20210821_195055.jpg

IMG_20210503_183429.jpg

You seem to be having a whale of a time with this set up........

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I cannot see another 52 anytime soon. There is not much wrong with the Dapol one and certainly not enough to justify someone doing another one. The technical term is "commercial suicide". Plenty of lower hanging fruit elsewhere. Not happening.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Hoping the next announcement is something midland-themed, fingers crossed there's a new announcement soon - I'm sure that earlier in the year Accurascale mentioned the number of releases they had planned for this year, how many are left to go now?

• Accurascale staff
21 minutes ago, thohurst said:

Hoping the next announcement is something midland-themed, fingers crossed there's a new announcement soon - I'm sure that earlier in the year Accurascale mentioned the number of releases they had planned for this year, how many are left to go now?

Lots!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/08/2022 at 12:13, BR Blue said:

I cannot see another 52 anytime soon. There is not much wrong with the Dapol one and certainly not enough to justify someone doing another one. The technical term is "commercial suicide". Plenty of lower hanging fruit elsewhere. Not happening.

I've never even bothered replacing my Heljan ones with Dapol versions, which are undoubtedly better, just not (IMHO) better enough overall.

If I hadn't already got them, I'd have certainly bought Dapol 52s but (for me) the bullet-proof performance outweighs any visual shortcomings.

There are innumerable other potential items I'd like to see from Accurascale ahead of a Western. 

John

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Such as another diesel with a 5* class number (and also synonymous with the WR)

One I'd only conditionally think of replacing. In general, the Hornby one just doesn't have enough wrong with it. There is one feature that would get me if included, though, and it's the one that Bachmann glaringly omitted from their (almost) all-singing-all-dancing new Class 47. Yep. remotely-controlled radiator shutters! 

TBH, I don't think there are all that many diesels that aren't already available to a decent standard of appearance and performance. It's those who are into all the son et lumiere stuff that really want new versions. I'm not, and I'm therefore (in most cases) unlikely to be tempted.

All the widgetry  can be added to existing models by those who "feel the need to feel", and I'd greatly prefer to see something that we've not been offered at all before, A Swindon Cross-country Class 120 DMU would make a very good start.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, newbryford said:

And bogies already tooled 😇

Although a Class 120 unit would be much more to my taste and maybe even a Swindon D8XX 'Warship' (or is there the risky chance that  Bachmann will retool their NB one  to create the Swindon version?).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, newbryford said:

I would have to agree with you. The Heljan 53 could be better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, thohurst said:

oooh, spoilers? (Any hints on how close the next reveal is? 😉)

Over in the class 37 thread McC said the second batch of class 37s will be coming in March. The only one of those so far announced is the one commissioned by the Heavy Tractor Group, so I’d expect at least 10 more to be announced soon for that batch. He also let slip that their tooling suite allows for class 37 variants never before produced, and that they plan 4 batches over the next 12-18 months. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Something I haven't seen discussed on here is brake vans. I have no clue on this subject though!

Have all far ranging common examples been done?

Is there a glaringly obvious prototype that needs a retool?

Would they be viable for A/S given there release structure i.e. lots of examples in various liveries

I guess the problem is you only need 1 brake van for a block train of coal wagons for example?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Accurascale staff
7 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Something I haven't seen discussed on here is brake vans. I have no clue on this subject though!

Would they be viable for A/S given there release structure i.e. lots of examples in various liveries

I guess the problem is you only need 1 brake van for a block train of coal wagons for example?

We did Ballast Vans in pairs for our Irish modellers - a mere snip too at just £85 for a pair, including tail lamps and interior lighting

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/ballast-hoppers/products/cieir-ballast-plough-van-ir-era

ballastvan.jpg

Edited by McC
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Id like to see a top spec 08 / 09 shunter with sound lights the lot.

Plenty of liveries to choose form too

Me too, I’ll take one in every livery except BR blue. The 08/09 must be one of the few locos that there are enough variations and liveries of for multiple manufacturers to make competing models. Along with the 37, 47 and 66. I think the 66 is probably fully subscribed with the good quality Hatton and Bachmann, and the budget Hornby. The 47 there’s probably room for another quality model. The Hornby one doesn’t come close to Bachmann, and Vi Trains seems to have disappeared now. There’s so many variants and liveries there’s plenty of room for 2 quality models to coexist. 

30 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

The 47 there’s probably room for another quality model. The Hornby one doesn’t come close to Bachmann, and Vi Trains seems to have disappeared now. There’s so many variants and liveries there’s plenty of room for 2 quality models to coexist. 

You're forgetting about Heljan's forthcoming retool in the mix as well, so we should have two fairly soon.

Now an 06 would be very welcome... you know you want one :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

The 47 there’s probably room for another quality model. The Hornby one doesn’t come close to Bachmann, and Vi Trains seems to have disappeared now. 

Off-topic, and against prevailing wisdom, I like the fat Heljan one.

It’s obviously “wrong” when viewed in photos or isolation, but it looks “right” at the head of a train.

It’s too hot for a coat, but I’ll see myself out. 😉

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Not improving on an existing model, but an obvious choice would be the 20T LSWR Road van (a different beast to the 10T one as produced by Kernow Models). The beauty of this is that it could be legitimately offered in around a dozen pre-group liveries and those of all the Big Four companies as well as BR.

How? The design was adopted by the ROD in WW1 with the LSWR building a substantial batch for them, albeit reduced in width by two inches to increase route availability. After the cessation of hostilities most were sold off to quite a number of railways spread over most of the UK, so they could have been seen almost anywhere. AIUI, even the GWR inherited a few at grouping. Many lasted to 1955-60.

If a  third of a mm each side is a problem, just go for the narrower version; (dead right for everything except LSWR, and I certainly wouldn't notice anyhow). The SR ultimately purchased the ROD vans that remained unsold after grouping.....   

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

My first suggestion would be a selection of cattle wagons. Apart from Hornby's excellent SR ones, there has always been a dearth of decent r-t-r models. Even Bachmann's GW/BR one ain't as good as you think if you look closer. 

• They ran in block trains and groups within mixed freights, also turning up in ones or twos in pick-up and branch-line goods trains.
  • They crossed company/regional borders.
  • Models could therefore be offered as a mixed 3-pack.

My second is 14T tank wagons; the WW2 Air-Ministry ones in particular, for the same reasons. The Oxford 12T one is very good, though not perfect, but is (by far) the best we have at the moment. Something more modern/widespread would be very welcome.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Although a Class 120 unit would be much more to my taste and maybe even a Swindon D8XX 'Warship' (or is there the risky chance that  Bachmann will retool their NB one  to create the Swindon version?).

Or maybe a 119 or (dare I mention…. 116)!! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, McC said:

We did Ballast Vans in pairs for our Irish modellers - a mere snip too at just £85 for a pair, including tail lamps and interior lighting

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/collections/ballast-hoppers/products/cieir-ballast-plough-van-ir-era

ballastvan.jpg

An SR ballast brake van would be nice.

Then you'd need to do the various SR and BR diagrams of 40T 'Walrus' hoppers to go with it.😃😀😃

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1