More model ideas

15 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

I don't think there's too much wrong with the DVT, unless I've missed something glaringly obvious.. perhaps the headlights could be reworked but overall the shape is good. Although I'm sure if AS did one it would be the ultimate. 

My point was more that there's no point doing some loco hauled liveries without it. Would people be buying a rake of IC/Virgin/Anglia*/Chiltern mk3s and then rely on Hornby doing a matching DVT?

*Anglia also depends on the appropriate locos being done, IC/Virgin 87s and 90s have been done and so have Chiltern 68s

Edited by TomScrut

On 30/06/2022 at 11:48, Willoughby Glen said:

Would there not be more scope for Accurascale if they did a 81/82/83 or 84 than single loco like the 89?

But you are not the Irish guys.  I happen to agree with you but it isn't your decision. I would buy an 82 or 83 whereas I won't be buying an 89 but it is not my choice.

• Agree 1

HST's are ripe for picking in the A/S Brand.  There is no more Iconic train or indeed successful Diesel Train in the world.  I also think that they would be frugal enough to do the HSDT too, and possibly some of the Network Rail MK3's (may be even the pantograph coach as an Accurascale Exclusive?).Maybe even the 442.... 

I think spec wise, some of people's ideas are going OTT, for a coach.  Accurascale success has come from being able to appeal to the masses by producing excellent models at reasonable prices.  Some of these are features for niche markets, would push the price up significantly and reduce sales.Cause possible technical issues etc..

I think everyone needs to maintain a realistic level of features, and not just things for the sake of it.  Perhaps for DCC there maybe merit in having say a decoder space in the TGS to control the light functions in a train of coaches - saloon and hazard lights perhaps, via a purpose made coupling to convey power, but if someone wants air suspension hiss, do a sound recording, blow a decoder for each coach and get drilling the chassis for your speakers.

Coach prices are already at £60-65, so I think we need to be conscious of further cost.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

I think spec wise, some of people's ideas are going OTT, for a coach.  Accurascale success has come from being able to appeal to the masses by producing excellent models at reasonable prices.  Some of these are features for niche markets, would push the price up significantly and reduce sales.Cause possible technical issues etc..

Thing of it is, putting provision in a MK3 for a decoder space and speaker is a lot easier than with a MK2.  IF AS were to produce a MK3 it would be to at least the spec of their MK2b's but the scope of really going to town would be there at not really much if any additional expense on the base models (i.e. lighting only).  It's likely that factory fitting a DCC socket in any case wouldn't break the bank, and a speaker too.  The decoder could then be the optional (relatively speaking) expensive upgrade, but also a good post purchase upgrade option.

7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Sleepers

Actually, there's your first point of attack for LHS.  So far, not been modelled correctly in any scale despite three models of which one quite recently from Dapol.  Do this and the matching MK2's for the Caledonian Sleeper, you've got some synergy with the Class 92.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/07/2022 at 08:11, 47606odin said:

Whatever you do, don’t do all singing all dancing O gauge AC electrics. My wallet wouldn’t survive it

Simple, take the credit card out and throw the wallet away 😉

Roy

• Funny 3

17 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Chiltern door variant (which would help with selling the DVT too), although I aren't sure how viable this would be (how many people model that line?).

I would love to have Chiltern coaches to put between my Chiltern 68s. I think that the right time to produce them was when the excitement over the new 68s was at its peak. I have the sad feeling that the moment has passed. Model railway fashions. 🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I would love to have Chiltern coaches to put between my Chiltern 68s. I think that the right time to produce them was when the excitement over the new 68s was at its peak. I have the sad feeling that the moment has passed. Model railway fashions. 🤷‍♂️

The appearance of the prototype has, at least in some areas, become so transient in the past decade that I think quite a few things will slip through the net in model form unless they have a cult following. 

It would seem logical to expect the holder of the sole licence to produce the locos in model form to supply appropriate coaches, too. If others did so, it would amount to them promoting the sales of Dapol locos.

Mind you, Bachmann probably did quite well out of many years producing Bulleid and Mk.1 coaches in BR(S) green to go behind (mainly) Hornby Pacifics, Arthurs, and Schools....😇

In any event, if Accurascale are aiming for a balanced product programme, the next big announcement should (arithmetically) be of their second steam-outline locomotive.

John  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The appearance of the prototype has, at least in some areas, become so transient in the past decade that I think quite a few things will slip through the net in model form unless they have a cult following. 

It would seem logical to expect the holder of the sole licence to produce the locos in model form to supply appropriate coaches, too. If others did so, it would amount to them promoting the sales of Dapol locos.

Mind you, Bachmann probably did quite well out of many years producing Bulleid and Mk.1 coaches in BR(S) green to go behind (mainly) Hornby Pacifics, Arthurs, and Schools....😇

In any event, if Accurascale are aiming for a balanced product programme, the next big announcement should (arithmetically) be of their second steam-outline locomotive.

John  

Once bitten, twice shy. I think that in future I’ll think more carefully before buying locos without coaches. However, we do have the counter example of Accurascale Mk. Vs and Dapol’s TPE 68. Certainly, Accurascale producing the coaches to go with Dapol’s 68 benefits Dapol but it benefits both manufacturers.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

It would seem logical to expect the holder of the sole licence to produce the locos in model form to supply appropriate coaches, too. If others did so, it would amount to them promoting the sales of Dapol locos

That's a bit of a funny one. On one had yes it is helping a competitor, but in it is mutual help IMO. If they didn't make the loco then that's another project and money to be spent.

16 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

However, we do have the counter example of Accurascale Mk. Vs and Dapol’s TPE 68.

It was interesting how 68019 hung around and then when the coaches were announced it disappeared and got really valuable.

Then Dapol have done 4 more since then!

17 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Accurascale producing the coaches to go with Dapol’s 68 benefits Dapol but it benefits both manufacturers.

Exactly. And given how well the mk5s look to be selling there may be another run. Given Dapol will have delivered 6 viable locos for pulling these by the time the 5as turn up I expect there will be more locos than coach rakes. Meaning perhaps the shoe will be on the other foot vs 2019 with the demand!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, No Decorum said:

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Who needs coaches?

Dapol do appropriate stock to put behind a Chiltern 68...

68012 Castle Donington

And for a TPE version:  (might need a scratch built wagon or two)

68029 68015 6K05 Charnock Richard

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, newbryford said:

And for a TPE version

There's one in TPE pulling Falcons too:

68023 TPX Passes through CASTLE DONINGTON with the 6K97 19:23 TOTON NORTH YARD - CREWE BASFORD HALL S.S.M Engineers , Wednesday 10th June 2020

On the subject of "more model ideas" and also linking to the last few posts about Dapol, what about the converted MRAs? I can't seem to find a photo of one but I am sure some have been done already.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/06/2022 at 18:47, Flying Pig said:

Two EE locos?  That's a pair of 20s then.

Of course, a Whistling Wardrobe chassis could be used as the basis for an NIR "Hunslet" Class 101 to power those lovely Mk2b/c coaches from the other side of St George's Channel.

Mmm, Morocco Red and Caribbean Blue...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Not wanting to go too far OT…

6 hours ago, TomScrut said:

There's one in TPE pulling Falcons too:

68023 TPX Passes through CASTLE DONINGTON with the 6K97 19:23 TOTON NORTH YARD - CREWE BASFORD HALL S.S.M Engineers , Wednesday 10th June 2020

Strike 2

TPE Testing

Displaced Double

All my own pics…plenty of options to model!

Regarding specific locos on 'other' workings (like shown above)…many people are happy to run them with anything. They’re not all sticklers for accuracy. Anyway, cobble together some MK1s or any other coaches really, stick a shiny modern mainline loco on the front, and you’ve got yourself a preserved working at a diesel gala….

68031 at Burrs

6 hours ago, TomScrut said:

On the subject of "more model ideas" and also linking to the last few posts about Dapol, what about the converted MRAs? I can't seem to find a photo of one but I am sure some have been done already.

Just seen this one on Flickr…

JNA 81 70 5831 001-9 Derby

Looks smart IMO. The new Wascosa wagons are ripe for the picking, as they’ll supplement/replace the Falcons, Tench, Coalfish and other such infrastructure wagons. Look how long those have been around…I saw a comment that some of the B_A steel bolsters are the oldest items of regular use rolling stock on the network…

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

7 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

Just seen this one on Flickr…

JNA 81 70 5831 001-9 Derby

Looks smart IMO. The new Wascosa wagons are ripe for the picking, as they’ll supplement/replace the Falcons, Tench, Coalfish and other such infrastructure wagons. Look how long those have been around…I saw a comment that some of the B_A steel bolsters are the oldest items of regular use rolling stock on the network…

Ah, I didn't realise they were now JNAs so wasn't searching for the right thing!

Yes they do look good actually. That beefy underframe to compensate for the lack of strength in the sides of the original build looks well with the box.

Also noticed the JJAs in your pics. These would be a good one for somebody to do if they can make them for less than you know who would want for a rerun.... Sell them in 5s like Dapol did with the MRAs.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Also noticed the JJAs in your pics. These would be a good one for somebody to do if they can make them for less than you know who would want for a rerun.... Sell them in 5s like Dapol did with the MRAs.

Most of those are actually HQAs.... Easily recognised from the side.

• Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, frobisher said:

Actually, there's your first point of attack for LHS.  So far, not been modelled correctly in any scale despite three models of which one quite recently from Dapol.  Do this and the matching MK2's for the Caledonian Sleeper, you've got some synergy with the Class 92.

Not really relevant to me but as Accurascale have the Mk2b, and therefore the 64' Mk2 coach structure in CAD form, along with Mk2c I believe, it must be quite tempting to create the BUOs and the Lounge cars for the CS - perhaps as a handy two pack. I am not really familiar with these vehicles but would I be right in thinking they carried at least two different liveries - First group blue and purple, then CS teal. I don't think they were painted in any other livery but may be wrong. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Covkid said:

Not really relevant to me but as Accurascale have the Mk2b, and therefore the 64' Mk2 coach structure in CAD form, along with Mk2c I believe, it must be quite tempting to create the BUOs and the Lounge cars for the CS - perhaps as a handy two pack. I am not really familiar with these vehicles but would I be right in thinking they carried at least two different liveries - First group blue and purple, then CS teal. I don't think they were painted in any other livery but may be wrong. 

Pretty sure they also carried a variant of the NEX Scotrail swoosh livery but without the swoosh that the sleepers had (I.e purple lower, Dk blue upper with white strip between)

• Agree 2

@McC I reckon you guys are just about mad enough to be preparing an all new, all singing and dancing Class 373 Eurostar with all coach variants tooled ready for Eurotunnel's 30th anniversary in 2024.

You could do two Anniversary packs (plus some anniversary 92's such as 92001 as built) - one Eurostar in original livery, the other in current livery and then coach packs similar to how you are selling the Mk.5's.

Not only can you do these, you could do the shorter North London sets in both de-branded Eurostar and GNER White Rose liveries as running on the ECML in the early 2000's 

My first run on the ECML was on a White Rose set Doncaster - KGX so I would quite like one

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

373 in GNER must be on the list of smartest trains to ever run in the UK IMO

Waits for the cries of:

"The Eurostar is one of ours" from somewhere in Kent

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Waits for the cries of:

"The Eurostar is one of ours" from somewhere in Kent

The irony is that they also look good because of the length of them (I know the North of London sets were shorter than the others but still longer than 91/mk4 or HSTs IIRC), which isn't something facilitated by said Margate model. Longest you can make theirs without it looking daft is 4 coaches. 

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2