More model ideas

I'm simultaneously relieved and disappointed.

At least I can avoid spending money on this one. 

For a nano second I thought it might have been one of the other electrics at barrow Hill, rather than the 89, which we all expected would be released sooner or later.

Best quote from the video was Mike wilds in depth questioning about it having metal wheels!

Thank goodness he cleared that one up.

After all I bet those sneaky guys at accura would've tried to use plastic ones!

• Funny 1

40 minutes ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Would there not be more scope for Accurascale if they did a 81/82/83 or 84 than single loco like the 89?

Its probably going to be the kind of question that the answer will depend on who you ask.

I'm quite sure the 81s will be done at some point, but Bachmann perhaps has a starting advantage with their 85. It wouldn't surprise me if the 84 is picked up as much to model the RTC load bank one as the other 9.

Now I love WCML electrics, but I prefer late 1980s and being northern based, I just dont remember seeing 82s or 83s hauling trains and only seen pictures of the last survivors on Euston ECS trains. Class sizes of 10 or 15 might give manufacturers more choice of different numbers they can apply and sell, but how many people will buy more than one of the class? or more than 2? I'd really wonder whether the 82s and 83s are distinctive enough to be modelled in their own right and if we get 81s and 85s whether the 82s and 83s could be left dangling.

The 89 is such a different and distinctive loco its bound to sell.

53 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I think that depends. They ran for a limited time on the WCML only. The 89 whilst being predominantly ECML did trials on WCML and in due course (all going to plan) will run WCML charters I think and has run for longer (although intermittent it is still covering a lot of eras).

Early AC’s collectively cover a period from 1959 to 1991, so hardly a limited time. The 84’s went in 1980 so became the shortest lived.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I'm quite sure the 81s will be done at some point, but Bachmann perhaps has a starting advantage with their 85. It wouldn't surprise me if the 84 is picked up as much to model the RTC load bank one as the other 9.

Considering how quickly the rtc mk2b sold an rtc 84 would surely be a success.  I'd happily buy 4 or 5 of the other 9.

To my mind the 81 is the least distinctive, being very similar to the 85.  The 82 and 83 also have the benefit of intercity livery too, which the 81 didn't get.

• Like 1

Hmm.  Big announcement, I thought smething ubiquitous like a 47 or maybe one of the ever-popular big pacifics - an A3/A4/princess or at least a Royal Scot (in both unrebuilt and rebuilt forms) - not a one-off!

I don't model OHLE,  as that seems too fragile and it would get in the way of my "hand of god" operations rather too often. 

So my wallet is safe this time.

Maybe. 

But I used to see that loco very frequently sitting in the loco siding in front of Kings Cross power box.   Always thought it was an interesting loco, and maybe one day I might even get to travel behind it even now, so I am tempted.  The swallow livery is attractive and the blue GNER livery too.

But won't Accurascale need to bring out some more coaching stock to go with it?  What really would be a big announcement would be if they decided to diversify and offer some ECML electrifcation masts. 

But like I said, I don't model OHLE!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Class sizes of 10 or 15 might give manufacturers more choice of different numbers they can apply and sell, but how many people will buy more than one of the class?

Like in reality anyone in the market for 2 of any of them classes is going to be wanting loads of 86s and possibly 87s unless they model the time before the 86s?

25 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Early AC’s collectively cover a period from 1959 to 1991, so hardly a limited time. The 84’s went in 1980 so became the shortest lived.

Didn't realise they were around as late as 91. Thought it was early 80s they went (although I suppose the 90s will have replaced them so makes sense).

Still, unless any are running preserved the 89 has been around longer.

• Accurascale staff
1 hour ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Would there not be more scope for Accurascale if they did a 81/82/83 or 84 than single loco like the 89?

Hi @Willoughby Glen,

Perhaps, but we just love this locomotive in Accurascale HQ. Maybe a slight indulgence, but we are passionate about railways and certain locos. However, it has to stack up as a business case as well, so we looked into it, and the desire from Rails to work with us on it too really helps. 

We are doing lots of fleet locos which we love, but it's good to have something a little bit different in the line up too, and this certainly helps. Judging by sales and interest, the business case seems to be there too.

Just because we are doing an 89 now, doesn't rule out other AC electric locomotives being part of our future.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I've never liked the 89, ugly freak loco despite having a coathanger on the roof.  Nevertheless, it's good to have the model being made if only to shut up the freak loco obsessives who have been clamouring for it.  Hopefully we can all move on to something more useful like an AL1-4 (for which despite what others think I'd buy multiples spread over early blue with yellow bib and rail blue) now this has been announced.  It does look like it is going to be a fantastic model for those who want it and I'm sure it'll do well.

Of greater concern, this has now meant we've had two consecutive Brush locos announced which has upset the nicely OCD "Brush-EE" announcement pattern.  We now need two English Electric locos announcing soon or you will be triggering OCD meltdowns around the UK and Ireland.

PS Class 83 is an EE locomotive...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

The AC electric group have preserved examples of classes 81/82/83 and 85 and are custodians of 89001. All are in a similar state of run capability of 89001, thus the earlier AC electrics have been around considerably longer.

https://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/index.php/the-locomotives-summary 
although I don’t model overhead electrics, I have fond memories of the “first generation” AC electrics class 81-85 which excepting Bachmann’s excellent class 85 have not been given modern treatment for models. As a teenage spotter, was hauled multiple times by classes 81/82/83 and 85, and a day at Crewe would see multiple examples of these machines. I’d say they’d be great future projects for Accurascale, I bought an 85 for nostalgic reasons. 
Neil 

Edited by Downendian
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks very good. Congrats to all who want/need the 89 but the presence of a coathanger automatically excludes me on geographical grounds by 150 miles.

Looking forward to the next announcement.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

29 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

So... class 89. Very nice. 

About that class 220/221/222 or class 185?

I think the 220/221 offering from Bachmann currently is good enough (apart from lights and no available dcc) but something that Bachmann may upgrade the tooling for this in the future (we can all dream...) but would definitely make more sense for bachamnn to upgrade form a running / lighting point of view when the actual body shell is pretty spot on in my opinion.  I could even extend that the tooling maybe suitably modified for a 222? Maybe I am really dreaming now. I think the 185 would be most suitable for Accurascale, as ti just has never been covered before, however if I had to choose any Multiple unit that I think is a massive gap in the market and has been missed by everyone is the Electrostar family of EMU's. That would be like printing money considering the wide sale appeal with all the liveries it has carried over the last 20 years or so and different classes it covers under pretty much one tooling. 

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Just because we are doing an 89 now, doesn't rule out other AC electric locomotives being part of our future.

Cheers!

Fran 

Well come on fella get a move on and get those 82, 83, 84s done pronto! You've  not got time for all this rmwebbing!  Time and tide wait for no man, and I'm not  getting any younger!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Back in August 2021 McC announced "6 D&E and 5 steam and several MU projects" were underway. Now the 31 and 89 have been announced, it leaves us with 4 D&E and 5 steam in the short term, PLUS new projects they've started since then.

Steam fans like myself shall remain hopeful!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Accurascale staff
34 minutes ago, Willoughby Glen said:

Thanks Fran for the detailed response, much appreciated

Having seen how many times on your website the 89 flashes up as someone has bought one, does seem like your going to do well with this.

I always had a soft spot for the early electrics, especially when pressed into action instead of 86/87 on the wcml, hence m statement.

Looking at the images on the 89 does look like your heading for Loco of the year this year with the deltic and next year with the 89.  the way Accurascale are going should in fact be top too with the 37:)

No problem! Judging by the list in your signature we like a lot of the same locos elsewhere!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Of greater concern, this has now meant we've had two consecutive Brush locos announced which has upset the nicely OCD "Brush-EE" announcement pattern.  We now need two English Electric locos announcing soon or you will be triggering OCD meltdowns around the UK and Ireland.

PS Class 83 is an EE locomotive...

Two EE locos?  That's a pair of 20s then.

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I know it would never happen, but a Warship to these standards would be immense. Dapol’s Western and Class22 are more than acceptable and the Hymek needs work but is Ok. All bar the 22 are preserved so can be reproduced to AS standard. 

Glad to see that this has been announced! When I originally saw the announcement, I was hoping for something that hadn't already been announced, but glad nonetheless. I guess I've gotta buy one now! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, WCML100 said:

I think the 220/221 offering from Bachmann currently is good enough (apart from lights and no available dcc) but something that Bachmann may upgrade the tooling for this in the future (we can all dream...) but would definitely make more sense for bachamnn to upgrade form a running / lighting point of view when the actual body shell is pretty spot on in my opinion.  I could even extend that the tooling maybe suitably modified for a 222? Maybe I am really dreaming now. I think the 185 would be most suitable for Accurascale, as ti just has never been covered before, however if I had to choose any Multiple unit that I think is a massive gap in the market and has been missed by everyone is the Electrostar family of EMU's. That would be like printing money considering the wide sale appeal with all the liveries it has carried over the last 20 years or so and different classes it covers under pretty much one tooling. 

It's also a very complex DCC conversion requiring 3 chips! and lots of ££££

• Agree 1