Halfords car paints updates

• RMweb Gold

I think the root problem is this is good news for the prime market the matching Halfords car paints are aimed at, bad news for the extra sales Halfords have always made to people wanting the spray cans for non-automotive use. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

A silly question - if you give a registration number do they ask if it is your car/do you have to prove it? A bonus from this change might be, if they don’t, that if you see car XY 18 ??? in a car park in the shade (eg, BR maroon) you want then you can just jot the reg number down/phone snap it then go buy a tin. 

Would sharing that info’ breach whatever the GDPR data rules have become post BREXIT?

• RMweb Premium

I popped into my local Halfords a couple of weeks ago for some oil. I done my normal thing of having a butchers at the paint, yes it is all number coded but the Lough branch had a card flip over chart, of the various car companies. There were list of colours and which was the best match of their new paint by numbers. There were two choices for Ford Burgundy, excellent I thought. When I looked on the shelf both were missing. 

I went home with just the oil.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, john new said:

if you see car XY 18 ??? in a car park in the shade (eg, BR maroon) you want then you can just jot the reg number down/phone snap it then go buy a tin.

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

There were two choices for Ford Burgundy

My understanding from the other thread is they aren't pretending to offer exact matches now, just telling you which generic red from a much smaller range is nearest?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I too have fallen foul of the changes in the Halfords pint range recently. Ford ivory white for some platform canopies is no longer on the shelf. I mixed some Railmatch GWR light stone with Vallejo white to get what I needed.

Although the ivory white would have been ok for my purpose, generally I find the 'colours' from Halfords too shiny and a bit heavy and prefer Railmatch acrylics for specific railway painting.

However, the real problem in the change is that there are stories of their primers having their recipes changed. I read the other day of issues with the grey in particular not adhering to models.

• Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, SteveM666 said:

I read the other day of issues with the grey in particular not adhering to models.

Specifically Pete Waterman's laser cut blocks of flats. No word on metal or plastic.

As  Luton boy, I would suggest the problem is that he is modelling Watford, and no good will ever come of that.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Phil Parker said:

Specifically Pete Waterman's laser cut blocks of flats. No word on metal or plastic.

As  Luton boy, I would suggest the problem is that he is modelling Watford, and no good will ever come of that.

At least you don't need a top coat for somewhere so dull.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

No word on metal or plastic.

I did some 7mm plastic wagons the other day with the new ordinary primer (they do another one - I cant remember if it is plastic specific or says its enamel) and the bog standard stuff was fine.

Could just have been the better Hampshire weather?!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

My understanding from the other thread is they aren't pretending to offer exact matches now, just telling you which generic red from a much smaller range is nearest?

Were they ever?

And for our purposes as railway modellers they are an approximation.