30368's Workbench SR Loco's with a bit of LNER

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

I looked at the same photo in volume 2. It is odd how we can look at the same thing and see it differently. I was looking at the change in profile from top to bottom. The wider part is nearer the cylinders. I agree that the etchings are not ideal and mine could have done with beefing up at the rear end.

For the door handles, the photo of the real loco does show the inner handle at about 6 o'clock, which is where it should be. Yours is nearer 8 o'clock. I don't recall seeing any photos of locos running with the handles there.

It is stationary and there is a pile of ash in front of it so the door may not be properly closed for service?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Asterix2012 said:

It is stationary and there is a pile of ash in front of it so the door may not be properly closed for service?

Good point. Having checked a good few images I have changed it so the rear handle is at 6 o'clock.

Kind regards,

Richard B

10 hours ago, t-b-g said:

That is looking very nice. I would just mention a couple of things. With the smokebox door handles in the position you have them, I am not sure that the door would be properly closed. My understanding is that the handle nearest the door should be just about at 6 o'clock. The outer handle then tightens up against the inner one, so could be in a different position.

The other thing is the guide for the piston valve rod/crosshead. If you look at drawings and photos, I think the etches are about the right size and shape but the drawing showing where to put them on has them back to front. The wider part should be next to the cylinder.

I reversed it on my Valour and attach a photo (taken before it was cleaned up!) showing what I mean.

I think the B7s also had the vertical handrail attached to the vertical bar at the back end of the slidebar bracket, as seen on Valour.

You are encouraging me to do a B7. What a beast they are! I have an almost finished one that the late Roy Jackson was working on, plus a set of etches the same as yours and a Gladiator kit in O gauge, so one day I may end up with three.

RSCN3018.JPG.799a41dc92bdd456d4ebcc886af4ff7f.JPG 

On the late Roy Jackson's model will you be punching in all the rivets ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

On the late Roy Jackson's model will you be punching in all the rivets ?

The model is 95% complete. It only needs the cylinders and crossheads, brackets and connecting rods completing. The bodywork was all completed by Roy.

It is stashed away and I haven't looked at it for ages and I can't remember if it has rivets or not. I hope it doesn't have any so I don't have to remove them to finish it in GCR condition. Robinson was not a fan of visible rivets on smoke boxes and any that appeared only happened after he had departed the scene.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The back handle has to be at 6 o’clock (or 12!) in order for the dart to engage in the slot of the bar across the smokebox. The other handle is then tightened up as necessary but mostly it would end up pointing downwards as it’s easier to apply force this way. 
Your handrail should turn more across the front before following the curve around the top, this isn’t easy to do with GC locos as it’s a continuous curve, unlike the GW variety which turn horizontally at first.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Apart from cab and lamp brackets to do just about done.

Handles now ok. Boiler temp. fitted.

IMG_8804.JPG.b38c73d40b5c9c4e6ae77635fe176c7a.JPG

IMG_8801.JPG.19025ce4b7952764d62fe9842ca92509.JPG

IMG_8803.JPG.9aa37e09757238e89c80a4a6a8c82f69.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

IMG_8802.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Well apart from final painting, 61711 is now complete and when painted and weighted, ready for the assembly of the three main components.

Boiler and footplate in primer.

IMG_8808.JPG.6e63d3201e810d7d0f7a96a20ba6276d.JPG

IMG_8809.JPG.24cfe17c57ef319db2479e3c73b50abf.JPG

The firebox back plate supplied with the kit is very good but the addition of some real brass parts improves it further.

IMG_8810.JPG.4933b26c0b74ec5f8ce5b2ae68ef35d0.JPG

Kind regards,

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Very nice, one thing I don't like is the angled connecting rods - you should put them on parallel to the frames (as they always are) and pack them out from the coupling rods. Our wheels are too close together in 00 but the cylinders are at the correct spacing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Very nice, one thing I don't like is the angled connecting rods

Thanks Michael. Yes I agree. I have packed the connecting rods out as far as the crankpin will allow. I thought I had used the longest crankpin on the centre drivers but perhaps not. Reluctant to disturb quartered Alan Gibson wheels...

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Don’t disturb it now! My comment was for future reference, the plain Romford crankpins I use are long enough to put con rods straight in 00 gauge. I think you’ve dine a really good job building this - I found it a bit awkward in places myself.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Don’t disturb it now!

I won't! Thanks for the very kind comments. The B7 was a very large, but handsome. locomotive. I am pleased with the result. Judging by the components on the Tender etches, the build could take some time....

Kind regards,

Richard B

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I think this looks lovely but can't find any excuse for it being at Seaton Junction.

Hi Phil,

Hope you are well?

Yes PDK make some really good ex SR kits. I have asked Paul to build me an H16 4-6-2T from one of his kits - I can be very lazy...

How is the U1 running? A picture would be nice.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

61711 is almost finished. I have painted it shiny black. I know this loco was in a filthy state in 1949/50 so perhaps I should have painted it matt black but I like the idea of using powders and thinned paints to weather and then cleaning back some areas to show there was once a shiny black loco under all that dirt. I know that the surviving images of 61711 suggest that she was never cleaned however indulge me.

A run to check that it all still works. Nice and shiny...

IMG_8813.JPG.cdd0b411bf431e31c73e903c84d8b2b7.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

All assembled, just needs:-

1. Lead in the boiler and frames and

2. Bogie spring fitting and

3. A tender...

Sorry, not a good snap...

IMG_8817.JPG.aea17697e19f7f985d6042d149d9cfbb.JPG

Fluff on the smokebox...

IMG_8818.JPG.fb1a53e6269c2304aee28c594a8087e2.JPG

Flash operated on this snap and fluff washed out.

IMG_8819.JPG.57d85146a9763e8a6d1cc44a7849c290.JPG

IMG_8820.JPG.362257f90141271a8c8bd915ca57cbef.JPG

KInd regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Initial weathering - not yet happy with the results.

I think I will build the tender and then review weathering when coupled.

IMG_8836.JPG.b980bbb9a658bd8f2417459eb0ce7872.JPG

IMG_8835.JPG.8a570ab08592b1996af0d6aae7b4b63e.JPG

IMG_8822.JPG.3336e7ad0854fa755c999da6737ea086.JPG

IMG_8832.JPG.2079a6fa446e7bba8414cd8a29ca217e.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 12