30368's Workbench SR Loco's with a bit of LNER

• RMweb Premium

Tender chassis almoust complete, a couple of brake levers and sandpipes to fit and then we are ready for the body.

fair bit to the compensated chassis brake gear etc. Pick-ups on trailing wheels only no real space around leading wheelset. Loco drivers have really no space to sqeeze in pickups although I have done so.

IMG_8372.JPG.0cd716556bd0d51987d529d541e9ac34.JPG

IMG_8373.JPG.c4fe61526ac281e9e75609ac8ee8e2e9.JPG

IMG_8374.JPG.e49bc3d37900fffe22dd5a4a4354a381.JPG

Kind regards,

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I must say that the Brassmasters/Martin Finney Adams 3,300 gall tender kit is very well designed and relatively easy to assemble due to excellent slots and tab where it is needed to locate key components. It is full of detail that will need careful assembly. I built one of these kits about 10 years ago for my scratch built Adams 0395 0-6-0 for much the same reasons as this build, to save time.

The three main assemblies.

IMG_8377.JPG.c907d230f90f8e1f18b6a564a713ea53.JPG

IMG_8375.JPG.0297055875cdedddd20e76c510ff3bdd.JPG

IMG_8376.JPG.2d276a70638c0558372cbf9b818711fd.JPG

Kind regards,

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The first coping plate now soldered in position, I hope the other two go on as easily. I used a section of dowel to bend the coping plates.

Solder not cleaned up yet. The rivet detail on the tank top plate has been simplified There were also a couple or three of very closely packed embossed rivets to punch through, I'm sorry, but I just got bored given that coal will cover!

IMG_8389.JPG.724ffa6a2f6b6d276fdebaf562168d15.JPG

IMG_8390.JPG.e29f3439b199fe52554df31bb779dc7a.JPG

Kind regards,

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Tender almost complete now.

IMG_8395.JPG.af5c8349efe44ddad62c06b46a7c68b2.JPG

And something very different.....

One of the "SRegion" V2's gentle passes 70D on a Salisbury - Waterloo Semi Fast. The V2 is such a wonderful looking loco. Proscale kit built by me a few years back.

IMG_8396.JPG.7340dac4a58e1c92bad2c8376c44155c.JPG

Kind regards,

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Adams tender for T6 681 is now complete only requireing painting etc.

This is a really well designed kit that, whilst being fairly complex, is easy to assemble.

IMG_8402.JPG.3766c2338aa3a2497511cf2528d0dbc7.JPG

IMG_8404.JPG.8954e4f1ec3c10631b9abe1701c5a286.JPG

IMG_8406.JPG.22371e3adfd4030988a97695a12258eb.JPG

Kind regards,

• Like 13

The tender is really looking good Richard.

On 27/11/2023 at 14:49, 30368 said:

One of the "SRegion" V2's gentle passes 70D on a Salisbury - Waterloo Semi Fast. The V2 is such a wonderful looking loco. Proscale kit built by me a few years back.

I do like the V2, I was really lucky to get up close and personal with Green Arrow when she was at Didcot in 1999. Sadly not currently planned to steam again.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, gz3xzf said:

I do like the V2,

Yes Bryan agree. In many ways Gresley's masterpiece aesthetically and what a truly effective class able to do anything for the routes it operated on. Luckly for me this includes the Southern Region.

My work on the T6 is stalled at the moment due to lining. I may though have a solution just waiting to hear.

Hope to get down to your part of the country in the early spring, we have family in the Poole area. It would be good to meet up and look over that lovely Adams 4-4-0. Let me know your favourite tipple I owe you a bottle of something for all the work you have done helping me with the T6 build.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, gz3xzf said:

The tender is really looking good Richard.

I do like the V2, I was really lucky to get up close and personal with Green Arrow when she was at Didcot in 1999. Sadly not currently planned to steam again.

You can go and cuddle it at the wonderful new Danum Centre in Donny. Well worth the detour from the MR Show OR just spend a few hours there; Library, Museum, Restaurant and meeting areas. All free, unless you want to scoff.

Phil

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hope to get down to your part of the country in the early spring, we have family in the Poole area. It would be good to meet up and look over that lovely Adams 4-4-0. Let me know your favourite tipple I owe you a bottle of something for all the work you have done helping me with the T6 build.

Richard

You owe me nothing, on the one hand I love to do things to help if I can and it gave me an excuse to crawl over the wee beasty myself.

Not much going on at the Railway in January other than the Winter-warm-up on the 6th & 7th; then we start running again during the Feb schools half-term holiday. Let me know when you are going to be coming down and we can sort something out.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

You can go and cuddle it at the wonderful new Danum Centre in Donny. Well worth the detour from the MR Show OR just spend a few hours there; Library, Museum, Restaurant and meeting areas. All free, unless you want to scoff.

Sadly Phil the 5 hour drive is a bit of a restriction.

It has been over 30 years since I have been to the NRM! 😟

🤣🤣

Edited by gz3xzf
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/12/2023 at 11:17, Mallard60022 said:

Thanks Phil, shame 60800 is not scheduled to return to steam any time soon.

On another matter, given I am waiting for the T6 lining problem to be resolved I am going to make a start on your U1 kit. Some information and then a question.

1. 31901-4 were all transferred to Exmouth in May 1961 and returned Norwood in October that year.

2. 31901 had a General in late 1960 finishing in Jan 61, so would be in fair condition.

3. 31902 had a light casual repair in March 61 - mainly boiler work. Would not be repainted, last GO in 1957 Heavy Intermeadiate in early 1960 so probably scruffy.

4. 31903 had GO end 1960 so probably in fair to good condition.

5. 31904 had Heavy Inter in August 60 so would be in fair to scruffy condition.

6. All fitted with AWS before transfer to Exmouth.

7. Images show 31904 with early BR Lion and wheel in May 62, 31903 seems to have later BR insignia, and is very scruffy in Summer 61. 31902 Image of May '60 has small early lion and wheel and very scruffy. 31901 image in July '63 has second BR insignia almost certainly attached at early '61 General.

So.....a question. Which one do you wan't me to model?

IMG_8407.JPG.f933271b80f03325f9f56de298fa6a69.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard

Edited by 30368

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Thanks Phil, shame 60800 is not scheduled to return to steam any time soon.

On another matter, given I am waiting for the T6 lining problem to be resolved I am going to make a start on your U1 kit. Some information and then a question.

1. 31901-4 were all transferred to Exmouth in May 1961 and returned Norwood in October that year.

2. 31901 had a General in late 1960 finishing in Jan 61, so would be in fair condition.

3. 31902 had a light casual repair in March 61 - mainly boiler work. Would not be repainted, last GO in 1957 Heavy Intermeadiate in early 1960 so probably scruffy.

4. 31903 had GO end 1960 so probably in fair to good condition.

5. 31904 had Heavy Inter in August 60 so wold be in fair to scruffy condition.

6. All fitted with AWS before transfer to Exmouth.

7. Images show 31904 with early BR Lion and wheel in May 62, 31903 seems to have later BR insignia, and is very scruffy in Summer 61. 31902 Image of May '60 has small early lion and wheel and very scruffy. 31901 image in July '63 has second BR insignia almost certainly attached at early '61 General.

So.....a question. Which one do you wan't me to model?

IMG_8407.JPG.f933271b80f03325f9f56de298fa6a69.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard

U1onUpCleethorpes1961.jpg.5d34ba7995208e7a7795affaab1e69f2.jpg

This one thanks. Up Cleethorpes July or August 61.

P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Already we have a query on the U1...

As we all know, DJH frames are very robust so not much room for any axle sideplay - easy to remedy with the file.

IMG_8409.JPG.90f1a549baed5c030df53b951785e670.JPG

The DJH Gearbox/motor/flywheel combination will I am sure work very well, however it is a fair sized lump. I have checked reverse mounting, not enough room so this arrangement is the way to go. Unfortunately there is not enough room under the firebox unless I cut away the area marked to allow the assembly to sit lower in the frames. Is that ok Phil? Even with this adjustment we may have a problem clearing the backplate casting.

IMG_8410.JPG.9ffb30499ddb75c79cccece27d94cf38.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, micklner said:

Life would be much easier with a HL Box and Motor . Perhaps a alternative method, losing the flywheel would make the DJH one easier to shoehorn in ?

Hi Mick,

Maybe so, as you know I use a lot of HL kit in my builds. Those HL coreless motors are both small and powerful.  Thanks for the wishes!

I am building this for a pal, Phil (Mallard60022) so using all the parts sent to me in the DJH Box. I should add that I do this as a favour not on a commercial basis. Don't want to scare the horses...

Kind regards,

Richard

Edited by 30368
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Have gone for it Phil. that will do nicely.

I promise to clean it up later.

IMG_8414.JPG.44d6b0212194d48026838e58424856b6.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard

The Motor/Gearbox came with the kit. I think it may have been someone on RMW, but can't remember?

If it's Carp Richard then I'll obviously pay for your suggested replacement and that might be a DJH one if they still do them? Replace/remove the Flywheel if you need to? This thing needs to be capable of towing 8 to 11, probably mix of Gresley, Mk 1 and Thomson.

My Horse Trade for this will be what I think is a very nicely built, by the late Geoff Brewin, PDK S15; sadly just a Maunsell one. I have no use for it, due to my nnow having too many Hornby ones anyway! That build was well before Hornby's effort, which to me is a superb model. 

I know that you will be able to enhance the S15, as it was a lovely set of parts, but there ain't much detail on it. It has no identity either.

I look forward to seeing the progress and with huge thanks as always. Make sure it gets a good run in at Basingstoke. If you could remember to leave those motor wires nice and easy to get at for a DCC Socket, that I shall fit as you can get all the bits to do that and I have several 'kits' ready.

All the best,

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

If you could remember to leave those motor wires nice and easy to get at for a DCC Socket, that I shall fit as you can get all the bits to do that and I have several 'kits' ready.

Hi Phil,

The DJH motor/gearbox will be ok I think - just some juggling with the backhead casting. I suspect that given the weight of the DJH body it will be able to pull anything! Re the wiring. I will keep is simple with access. I will also fit pick-ups on the trailing wheels on the tender but leave the wiring tails for you to fit. Basingstoke is looking forward to the sophistication of three cylinders....

We can have a chat about the S15 later.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 30368 said:

Have gone for it Phil. that will do nicely.

I promise to clean it up later.

IMG_8414.JPG.44d6b0212194d48026838e58424856b6.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard

Quite amazed that DJH haven't remodelled/redesigned their frames for the modern motor/gearboxes they supply, the Class L I'm building had the same problem.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gz3xzf said:

Quite amazed that DJH haven't remodelled/redesigned their frames for the modern motor/gearboxes they supply, the Class L I'm building had the same problem.

I suspect it's because they gave up any enhancements when they gave up 4mm stuff yonks ago. This, and most of my other DJH Kits have been quite old products that have sat in someone's roundtoit pile and acquired from Ebay years ago.

There is an advantage to these mighty Frames. It is damn difficult to not get them spot on square when soldered up, as it's basically two thick sheets and the two solid tubular cross pieces and 4 large Screws, as you know!

Sadly the demographic that would buy loads of Kits and actually some would be built, has diminished dramatically.

I liked DJH 4mm Kits, but many had design flaws that I didn't know about but knowledgeable people did/do.

What I really did like were the preassembled Motor Gearboxes. I think it was Tony Wright that told me that they were great for the LNER Kits of which I have part built about 3. I believe he also had a hand in 'improving' some of these LNER Pacifics (even wrote a lovely book) and writing really clear Instructions.

I've built a couple of PDK Tenders and part Tenders, but never one of his Engines. I have one that was built for me (the S15 mentioned above) and they look really top notch Kits. However, I doubt Peter makes a living from sales now. Does any Kit manufacturer, even of Coach parts, these days?

Thanks Richard. Do whatever you want with it.

ASTB

Phil

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

There is an advantage to these mighty Frames. It is damn difficult to not get them spot on square when soldered up, as it's basically two thick sheets and the two solid tubular cross pieces and 4 large Screws, as you know!

Sorry to correct you Phil but the chassis also includes three crossmembers that fit into slots in the frames. Lots of handtool work to creat sufficient clearance between frame and crossmember. Soldering will be interesting, I may have to use my gas torch! Once fettling is completed, I shall loosely assemble the frames and motor assembly with the cross pieces and then fit the crossmembers and align everything in the chassis jig before tightening up and then soldering. Thats the plan anyway...

Kind regards,

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Final update for today.

Motor tested and runs ok, I don't really want to disturb the motor/gearbox assembly and risk upsetting the factory set mesh.  So motor/gearbox will be fitted before chassis is soldered together.

Chassis mounted on the jig. The set screws have not been tightened up to allow the jig to do its work and align the chassis. The frets are a little confusing, or more correctly the instructions. There are two sets of cross members. Some attached to the chassis and of the same thickness and the duplicates on the fret much thinner! Front two crossmembers are the same section as the frames.

IMG_8415.JPG.2eb7a1bb61fba732caf81d5d46670f8d.JPG

The rear crossmember is much thinner being cut from the fret. It has provision for the engine/tender coupling.

IMG_8417.JPG.d5577b55388bbbbea3ea84c165cef584.JPG

Now that the chassis is aligned, I can tighten up the set screws.

IMG_8416.JPG.83a0c745e7a31ce431edd3df5aafb33a.JPG

Chassis soldered together and wheels trial fitted. One side is insulated so chassis will be live return. Wheels are also older type of Markets wheels which are a bit coarser than current type. They will look fine when painted. Now that I have filed the axle bearing bosses, there is about 0.7mm side play. How much do you want this reduced Phil?

IMG_8418.JPG.c4069fad08de363a44873ce2838f6dd4.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Final update for today.

Motor tested and runs ok, I don't really want to disturb the motor/gearbox assembly and risk upsetting the factory set mesh.  So motor/gearbox will be fitted before chassis is soldered together.

Chassis mounted on the jig. The set screws have not been tightened up to allow the jig to do its work and align the chassis. The frets are a little confusing, or more correctly the instructions. There are two sets of cross members. Some attached to the chassis and of the same thickness and the duplicates on the fret much thinner! Front two crossmembers are the same section as the frames.

IMG_8415.JPG.2eb7a1bb61fba732caf81d5d46670f8d.JPG

The rear crossmember is much thinner being cut from the fret. It has provision for the engine/tender coupling.

IMG_8417.JPG.d5577b55388bbbbea3ea84c165cef584.JPG

Now that the chassis is aligned, I can tighten up the set screws.

IMG_8416.JPG.83a0c745e7a31ce431edd3df5aafb33a.JPG

Chassis soldered together and wheels trial fitted. One side is insulated so chassis will be live return. Wheels are also older type of Markets wheels which are a bit coarser than current type. They will look fine when painted. Now that I have filed the axle bearing bosses, there is about 0.7mm side play. How much do you want this reduced Phil?

IMG_8418.JPG.c4069fad08de363a44873ce2838f6dd4.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard

Ooof. Nice.

OK hardly any 'front' play and a tad (0.5?) at the Rear; also a 'tad vertical above axle centre' play on the rear. If you want and think it suits.

A teeny bit of lateral on the driven axle too? My C75 Trackwork will take Wrenn Wheels matey. OK they rattle on the Sleeper mouldings a bit, but these old things should be fine. At least they don't need the Flanges reduced, as for the H15! Loads of gap.

How's that sound?

P

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good news Phil. A very good day, axle sideplay as requested. Coupling rods made up and fitted. The chassis runs silently and smoothly despite there being very little clearnce between coupling rods and crankpins. Very pleasing.

The two outer coupling rod holes are elongated as supplied so these were closed up by soldering a brass washer on the underside. Coupling rods in two halves. Balance weights fitted too.

IMG_8421.JPG.2d3ff323bb6fb0f59ddad34ef0b417e4.JPG

Ran first time very smoothly with no easing of crankpin holes in coupling rods. Jig assembly always worth the extra effort.

IMG_8420.JPG.3bfe2944aee65e8ec5f294aaacb4646b.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard

Edited by 30368
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1