LNER C1 Atlantic for Queen of Scots?

robmcg

A far cry from this, all-steel K-type Pullmans, C1 Atlantic, sustained speeds of 70+mph and total luxury and comfort....

4421_C1_qos_pullman_5a_r1800.jpg.1a65c828d0c5c567690d272500029fc0.jpg

Still waiting patiently for 4421 to arrive from the UK, I concocted this from my GNR 251 and editing.

Cheers

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, rockershovel said:

They are a very handsome machine, aren’t they? 

Yes they are. I just received an RCTS 'Green book'  Locomotives of the LNER Part 3A Classes C1 to C11 and there is exhaustive information, and many great photos, such as a clean 62822 passing through Grantham in 1950 just before withdrawal.  I think some railwaymen watching have actually removed their caps!

Anyway, using my pic and a bit of editing I have created a picture of more spacious days, when we still had crispy bacon. :)

4421_C1_portrait4_6abc_r1800.jpg.a08657d374e604adc9e0fedb322abcfa.jpg

Edit; in 1932 the Queen of Scots was given a very demanding schedule between Leeds and King's Cross, 193 minutes for 185.7 miles non-stop, and the C1 Atlantics and crews took great pride in recovering time and arriving on time or early, at times sustaining over 70mph with 290 tons. Often they were late leaving Leeds because of delays from Edinburgh, there were drivers like Sparshatt and Payne on these runs. Spectacular stuff as well as luxury! 

Edited by robmcg
added comment
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Amazing that a by then (1932), a 30 year old loco design has been used on such prestige train as the QoS - and performed outstandingly! 

26782485gk.jpg

26782486tp.jpg

LNER C1 class no. 3251. Bachmann/NRM 32-765.

26782487qr.jpg

Loco only.

26782484ot.jpg

A view into the cab.

IMHO, still a very beautiful model and a good runner. However, its hauling capacities are exhausted when pulling a rack of five Hornby K type Pullmans up a 3 per cent incline as the coaches provide for interior lighting and thus, pickups on every bogie.   

Best regards

Mark

Edited by Guardian
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Amazing that a by then (1932), a 30 year old loco design has been used on such prestige train as the QoS - and performed outstandingly! 

Had much the same power output available at speed as the largest UK 4-6-0s. The limitation was adhesion when starting and for low speed slogging, but once well underway the power was ample. Wide 30 sq ft grate that was easy to fire, short fat barrel free steaming boiler, and just look at that superheater ratio of a tad over 18, actually slightly higher than that of the A4. Plentiful very hot steam supply.

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

... a very beautiful model and a good runner. However, its hauling capacities are exhausted when pulling a rack of five Hornby K type Pullmans up a 3 per cent incline as the coaches provide for interior lighting and thus, pickups on every bogie.

Your call on what to do, but the comparison between Bachmann's technique of split axle pinpoint current collection - no incremental drag - and Hornby's draggy wiper technique tells all. It only needs a couple of bogies arranged for pin point pick up to reliably light a train, if prepared to undertake through wiring. Then all the axle wipers can be taken out of contact and you gain at least 50% in the free-rolling stakes.

• Agree 1