Dapol O Gauge 08, which sound/speaker?

Nick G

Evening all, thinking of having a dabble in O gauge. Been trying to resist a Dapol 08 for ages. As both my 00 gauge layouts have DCC sound it will be a must for O gauge. So what is the best sound and speaker combo for the Dapol 08, any one with any advice please?

Thank you.

My locos mostly use the Zimo MX644D sound decoder.  I find it to be excellent.    The Zimo LS 26x20x08 speaker is very good.  Paul Chetter does great sound files.  I got mine from Digitrains.

Perhaps Wiggy will share where he got his from.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

• Trade Member
2 hours ago, brossard said:

My locos mostly use the Zimo MX644D sound decoder.  I find it to be excellent.    The Zimo LS 26x20x08 speaker is very good.  Paul Chetter does great sound files.  I got mine from Digitrains.

Perhaps Wiggy will share where he got his from.

John

DCKits-Legomanbiffo supplies these as standard with all O Gauge ESU XL Larger decoders and are available.

See:   https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=223_75&product_id=396

Large Bass Speakers.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

Sorry to open up an old conversation but I’ve been very happy with my Digitrains/Paul Chetter sound conversions. Now that Dapol are about to bring over another batch of 08s, I wondering whether to go for the factory sound, or would I be better off buying without and sending my new models off for conversion?

I guess what I’m asking is, is the factory sound/speaker as good? My only factory sound Dapol model is a pannier tank and it’s a bit tinny/lacks a stay-alive.

Edited by markwilson
Added some more to my question

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/06/2024 at 22:48, markwilson said:

Sorry to open up an old conversation but I’ve been very happy with my Digitrains/Paul Chetter sound conversions. Now that Dapol are about to bring over another batch of 08s, I wondering whether to go for the factory sound, or would I be better off buying without and sending my new models off for conversion?

I guess what I’m asking is, is the factory sound/speaker as good? My only factory sound Dapol model is a pannier tank and it’s a bit tinny/lacks a stay-alive.

Personally id put an HM7000 in it. The 08 soundfile is pretty decent. Richard at roads and rails has the big square speakers on his site and he put a Hornby type connector on mine so it plugs direct to decoder. Plus theres the stay alive option too.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1