Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JustinDean said:

D2A9E2A2-45DE-46C0-963B-F2DE6FBFE799.jpeg.33803f2d7b65ce4353e1f8b87887c3f6.jpeg

I finally got round to swapping out the Seep motors for Tortoise ones which also involved a rewire of the control panel. All done and tested now and oh boy what an improvement!

With this sorted I can turn my attention to sorting a few bits before @AY Mod’s visit next week. 

Jay

Now that is wiring after my own heart!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Someone’s been flying low over Middleton Top….

D6433CDA-CA63-447A-ADFA-D9299A96C9B4.jpeg

You didn't do something stupid like leaving a bus parked on a bridge by any chance?

I already spotted the Britain from above shot on the realistic modelling thread. Most impressive.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

You didn't do something stupid like leaving a bus parked on a bridge by any chance?

Ah yes, I would advise against visiting the "Mid Cornwall Lines" thread, those of a sensitive nature might be distressed by it (and I'm not referring to the choice of locomotives).

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, figworthy said:

Ah yes, I would advise against visiting the "Mid Cornwall Lines" thread, those of a sensitive nature might be distressed by it (and I'm not referring to the choice of locomotives).

Adrian

I believe those are vintage / classic buses (and sub-clause vehicles) and therefore exempt from attracting the attention of passing stukas.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Been very busy this summer and haven't checked in here for ages (No apologies for all the likes etc.)

I had problems with SEEP motors too, all they need is a few more volts and plenty of amps, especially over longer runs! The Gaugemaster CDU is rated at 24V so I brought a cheap secondhand Canon printer power pack rated at 24V DC and 2.2A. Works a treat! Just have to get the pos.& neg. the right way round mind.

I'm sure you'll find those tortoises to be the dog's doodahs!

Regards Shaun.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Been very busy this summer and haven't checked in here for ages (No apologies for all the likes etc.)

I had problems with SEEP motors too, all they need is a few more volts and plenty of amps, especially over longer runs! The Gaugemaster CDU is rated at 24V so I brought a cheap secondhand Canon printer power pack rated at 24V DC and 2.2A. Works a treat! Just have to get the pos.& neg. the right way round mind.

I'm sure you'll find those tortoises to be the dog's doodahs!

Regards Shaun.

Hi Shaun,

Most of my issues were down to the built in switch for frog polarity. They didn’t always work meaning locos coming to an abrupt halt over points. The Tortoise motors are a much better design; easier to mount and a level of adjustment is available on the fulcrum which is really useful. I wouldn’t go back now. I know people have successfully used the Seep motors for some time though…so could just be me!

Jay

• Like 3

Interesting, as I've only previously seen CHP working referred to by Target numbers, and then I've only ever seen one photo of a train carrying the Target number.

The High Peak was certainly a line that had its own rules and practices!

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/09/2024 at 13:10, JustinDean said:

The new Rapido wagon announcement should please modellers of the C&HPR in its later years. 

I never knew that Ivor The Engine ran on the C&HPR!

Steve S

(Deliberately misunderstanding your post! 🤣)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The new Rapido wagon announcement should please modellers of the C&HPR in its later years. 

E8D2CE64-D193-47E1-939A-A0AB7CE97B06.jpeg

I couldn’t believe it when Rapido emailed me about these - I just bought two 3D prints off eBay of what look to be very similar wagons, although my versions (sans wheels, couplings, paint or decals) come it at a mere £6.50 each, so a rake of four possible for the same price as one of Rapido’s!

Look very nice - may splash out on a £30

wagon!

Steve S

E8D2CE64-D193-47E1-939A-A0AB7CE97B06.jpeg

I might be willing to get at least one of these in 1950’s guise for Alsop, although none of the photos of the Buxton to Ashbourne line show these in use.

I’m intrigued by the version with lime covers - definitely never seen a photo of those before.