Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold

Tender/water carrier progress. Details added in the form of handrails, brakes and tie bars. 
Next it needs a good clean and painting before fitting buffer heads and couplings. 

Jay

17744063-C640-4454-9AE7-8308FC1F8AD3.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Wafted some primer over these. I realise they’re not the finest of models but they’ll do until I can make some brass kit versions up. My main gripe is the inability to get the sides to fit flush with the top casting leaving that step running down the length of the body under the flare. It’ll be a little less noticeable once they’re painted black and heavily weathered. That will have to wait till the weekend now. 
Today I’ve stocked up on foam, filler and glue. Heading back to Wirksworth tomorrow where the layout lives and going to begin the final push on scenery. Feeling energised to crack on with Middleton Top now after a few months working on stock. 

Jay

5EFE47C0-AAEA-4239-8781-50E6BCB21AE3.png

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jay, 

This is looking lovely. I agree with Von Wolf, things will rapidly come together. I always find that the first blast of static grass adds life to the whole plot..

Great to see. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Found these photos I took of a water tender at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway in the yard at Wirksworth. Don’t know if they’re of any help to you?

EED8ECB9-813D-4648-AFD1-E08509227399.jpeg.9a67acc555e587dd3deec6cb01e501a4.jpeg7D5FCCF4-6B1C-4297-9534-E09FEFDAB475.jpeg.ceca5f185d5d3fd579d4a7532334ea68.jpeg

The tender is still down there. Funnily enough I can see Wirksworth station from my bedroom window!

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Coat of burnt umber acrylic now drying. 
There’s a lot of dry stone wall to be made on this section of the layout and I’m contemplating returning to making this from DAS, especially for the sections that prop up the back wall of the engine house where the gap currently is. 

Jay

790B0666-6312-467D-8FFB-D9DF2C7BC743.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Would that be the dreaded Derbyshire drystone walling similar to this?

6B5218BC-2606-49B0-9DA4-7E7A4D592313.jpeg.1c8ea5208569a954562032db310e7024.jpeg

Not far off! 

These photos show the area to be modelled. Lots of random stonework to recreate!

AE344E26-1B11-4549-8D12-63BB54AE0950.jpeg

DA466EBB-30ED-46D4-BC33-939716A4E310.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Today the water carriers are nearing completion. I may need to tone back the weathering a bit!

Jay

2A6E2F72-AEF4-4AF3-833F-B251C4FC3F5C.png

Top stuff, Jay. Re weathering, I think it's fine. Frankly, I would have pushed it a bit more. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Top stuff, Jay. Re weathering, I think it's fine. Frankly, I would have pushed it a bit more. 

Rob. 

Cheers Rob. Back in Wirksworth for the week so I’ll regain some objectivity on the weathering and revisit at the weekend. 

Back on the layout tonight. 

Jay

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The water carrier train is pretty much complete. 
I’ve started adding drystone walls, some are the cast versions as seen in the photo and others are going to be made of DAS. This could take some time!

Jay

DE850B7F-BAE2-481E-AD52-C0C5323D4D55.png

• Like 19

The reservoir must be dry for that lot to have been needed!

Those walls look a pretty good representation of Derbyshire Drystone - I’ve probably asked before, but could you remind me where they’re from?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The tenders were filled from springs at Cromford and Black Rocks then brought up the line to deposit for locos at Sheep Pasture, Middleton Top and Longcliffe plus a number cottages/small holdings including those at Parsley Hay. 

The walls are small cast sections I bought off eBay years ago - unbranded so maybe tricky to find!

Jay

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much in the way of photo updates at the moment but I have been busy building stone walls on the layout. 
I have also made a start on this:

85B68C4A-51DC-4526-8D79-3F449CFFBD84.jpeg.2f0c281977c309b660678d362c9419d4.jpeg

The Branchlines chassis kit for the NLR tank. Rear axle is rigid and will receive drive through a High Level gearbox and Mishima motor while the center and leading axle are compensated. Coupling rod assemblies are also going together - not too much of a fiddle with help from a wooden toothpick to keep things in place. 

The Poppy’s jig has been invaluable in keeping everything in alignment and square. I’d recommend this for anyone venturing into chassis building. 

Jay

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

While the Dock Tank’s varnish dries I’m back onto poking around with this. The nickel

silver NLR tank kit. The chassis from Branchlines has been painted and I’ve put a couple of wheels in to check fit. There seems to be far too much side to side movement so they need to come back out and some washers inserted. I’m quite daunted by putting together outside valve gear on my second loco build so I’m taking this real slow and trying to get each step spot on. 

Jay

EE86D829-EB69-4826-9965-E446265E8504.jpeg

• Like 10