Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Justin,

Those views  are very helpful, I’ve seen the first and last views but not the four in between. There are probably enough photos of parts of the stables to make a composite drawing which would work for a small scale model. I’ve added the evocative coloured view I found which shows the goods yard side, it’s not in the Colour Rail catalogue.

The stone loading dock is still there, I noticed last weekend.

image.jpeg.deee9733764a39aaeba9afd6bddf26de.jpeg

Dava

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Dava said:

Thanks Justin,

Those views  are very helpful, I’ve seen the first and last views but not the four in between. There are probably enough photos of parts of the stables to make a composite drawing which would work for a small scale model. I’ve added the evocative coloured view I found which shows the goods yard side, it’s not in the Colour Rail catalogue.

The stone loading dock is still there, I noticed last weekend.

image.jpeg.deee9733764a39aaeba9afd6bddf26de.jpeg

Dava

I’ve got quite a few more photos - I just didn’t want to fill this thread with them. You’ll probably find them quite useful if you go ahead with a model. Let me know your email address and I’ll forward the whole lot to you. 

Yes indeed the loading dock is still there - I live a couple of minutes down the road so the site is very familiar to me. 

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

I’ve got quite a few more photos - I just didn’t want to fill this thread with them. You’ll probably find them quite useful if you go ahead with a model. Let me know your email address and I’ll forward the whole lot to you. 

Yes indeed the loading dock is still there - I live a couple of minutes down the road so the site is very familiar to me. 

Jay

Thanks, message sent.

Dava

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Back to tenders!

@TortugaI checked London Road Models and they have brass kits for Webb and McConnell 6 wheel tenders at £44.00

I'll give a brief overview on water traffic on the C&HPR.

Tenders numbered 1to 4 were Canada Works short wheelbase four wheeled tenders.

187457753_CanadaandWebb.jpg.07c7e896de9cd1692eb9aa1d48642f68.jpg

492615999_Canadabrakenogood.jpg.9a47c2582a49329cae7fce33e264d9c5.jpg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Numbers 18,19,988,1279,1887,3003,3068,3282(1),3282(2),3315

Six wheel 1800 gallon Webb tenders. Centre wheels removed,, then later some were put back. Tanks were originally flare topped with rails but over time many of these were modified into a flat topped tank.

No3003 near to the camera:

1568553374_Webbtenders.jpg.60549e093dd376a702984f5ef582aa02.jpg

Interior view from the top at Cromford shed:

1242113718_Webbtopview.PNG.4f55bad93f87ce4fa53860430f0208a9.PNG

Flat topped version at Parsley Hay:

1342601052_WebbParsleyHay.jpg.ca0a42762ab443089821b48dc86d3326.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

Could do with some help identifying these particular tenders:

Those are all ex-Midland or LMS tenders. I think the flat sided one is probably an LMS standard 3,500 gal tender. The one with flared top and high bulkhead, that appears in both photos (or there was more than one of them on the line) is a Johnson-style one of the sort attached to a number of Midland-built 4Fs, also 3,500 gal (need to check); the third one is probably another 3,500 gal but might be 3,250 gal.

Did these have ordinary buffers and drawgear added at the leading end, like the McConnell and Webb tenders, or were they coupled together as fixed pairs using a coupling link of the type that formerly coupled them to their engine? (Ditto the Whale tenders.)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Those are all ex-Midland or LMS tenders. I think the flat sided one is probably an LMS standard 3,500 gal tender. The one with flared top and high bulkhead, that appears in both photos (or there was more than one of them on the line) is a Johnson-style one of the sort attached to a number of Midland-built 4Fs, also 3,500 gal (need to check); the third one is probably another 3,500 gal but might be 3,250 gal.

Did these have ordinary buffers and drawgear added at the leading end, like the McConnell and Webb tenders, or were they coupled together as fixed pairs using a coupling link of the type that formerly coupled them to their engine? (Ditto the Whale tenders.)

This photo indicates buffers and draw gear added:

27CC66EA-FF68-4B93-9B3D-6EAC89D890DC.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

wasnt it a surviving one of these that has been used for the Bloomer replica?

There’s two replicas, the static one at Wolverton and the new build (which I believe has been going on for years) at Tyseley. However I have no idea if there was a surviving McConnell tender used. I’m sure one of the chaps on here will know.

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Fun times fettling white metal!

What the previous photo of the tender kit parts didn’t show was the masses of epoxy resin lavishly applied to all the joints. A day of boiling and scraping sorted that out. Bufferbeams were then drilled out for buffers and couplings, handrail holes drilled and now I’m slicing sections from the side castings (left hand photo is one I chopped earlier) to represent the Webb tenders as water carriers. 

Jay

A0A42E58-38B6-4AC1-9412-2FB9C950C243.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'm asking because I have some whitemetal parts to solder.  What temp do you use on the iron please?

About 200 degrees but that may vary depending on the job and also relative to the iron you’re using. I’d say it’s most  important to get a good joint fast which means making sure the surface is completely oxide free beforehand. Practise makes perfect mate! 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Cheers.  Will experiment on some scrap first!

Definitely do that- every material is different. You’ll eventually get a feel for it. With white metal folk worry they’re going to melt their castings down but that will only happen if the iron is way too hot or if it’s applied for far too long. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Good work Jay!

No.1279 definitely had axle guard tie rods as do the ones in your photos above, but your models are missing them - ignore me if they are still to do!

Delicate bits are for after filling and sanding. Still got handrails, brakes, tie rods and couplings to do. 

Jay

• Like 2