Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

What era are you modelling Jay? If early BR, I think the LMS needs to be a touch more faded than present. 

I fully appreciate that you’re not done weathering it yet, so feel free to ignore!

Ay up - so I’m running the layout across a broad time period as the site itself didn’t exactly change much. The brake is being modelled in 1940 condition as per the Casserley photos that exist.  With that in mind it would’ve been in LMS livery at least a decade. On the photo the lettering is still clear but I imagine the overall condition would be quite battered. It was on the C&HPR after all. 

Cheers

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Graham T said:

That looks suitably filthy 🙂

I'd try to get some dirt onto the verandah area too, if that's what it's called.

You’re quite right. That floor needs to be proper grubby!

Ta

Jay

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Spent a little time putting some dirty washes on the FR brake last night. Powders to go on next. 

Jay

013812DD-5533-412C-9B45-39DBE69091CF.jpeg

Wonderfully horrible. Most impressed.

Such a nice looking van too.

As you've said, get some muck on the verandah floor and that door into the cabin will have seen a regular bashing even in Furness Railway days.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This photo popped up on the Derbyshire Life Facebook page from Longcliffe Quarry in 1971. 
Im curious about the identity of the covered wagon in the background?  Outside framed - looks Midland but I’m not sure. Also looks in good condition. Any ideas folks?

Jay

C753E14D-8C6A-41EE-842E-AB97705ABF67.jpeg

6C9B7D9F-61F7-459B-848C-BBB89C98067E.jpeg

• Like 3

A quick look through 'Midland Wagons' by Bob Essery doesn't show any vans that have that X bracing on either side of the doors. I would hazard a guess at a Lancashire and Yorkshire van, one of the later versions, built just prior to grouping, with the 10'6" wheelbase, but stand to be corrected! 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, JustinDean said:

This photo popped up on the Derbyshire Life Facebook page from Longcliffe Quarry in 1971. 
Im curious about the identity of the covered wagon in the background?  Outside framed - looks Midland but I’m not sure. Also looks in good condition. Any ideas folks?

Jay

C753E14D-8C6A-41EE-842E-AB97705ABF67.jpeg

6C9B7D9F-61F7-459B-848C-BBB89C98067E.jpeg

I wonder if @Compound2632 could help out?

Is there a caption to say who the folks are? I should really know one or two of them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I wonder if @Compound2632 could help out?

Not Midland, not LNWR or L&YR either, I think. Those end pillars have something of a NER look about them but I can't find a match for the combination of X-framing and horizontal-planked doors in Tatlow. I'm passing you on to @jwealleans

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No immediate answer here either, I'm afraid.   The roof profile and end are pure NER/LNER except for the apparent absence of the inspection hatch , but the doors aren't.   Is it homebrewed or contractor built?   Looking at the original photo, is it even on rails, or a grounded body which has been repaired and altered?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barclay said:

I would hazard a guess at a Lancashire and Yorkshire van, one of the later versions, built just prior to grouping, with the 10'6" wheelbase, but stand to be corrected! 

Apologies, I didn't see your post before I replied. I think you have it - diagram 99 fits, end pillars, X-framing, and horizontal-planked doors [See Noel Coates, Lancashire & Yorkshire Wagons, Vol. 2]. I had ruled out L&Y as I was thinking only of the characteristic inverted-V end framing.

@jwealleans, @Rowsley17D.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

If that's what it is there ought to be a horizontal handrail to the right of the door from the lower right part of the X framing to the corner post.   Is that visible on the original print?

End posts show that it's not a roof door example, which would seem to be the case.  

I'm still not completely convinced it's not grounded.   What year is the picture?

• Like 2

The picture was taken 4 years after the line closed. Whilst Longcliffe Quarry is shown as having a siding in the 1890s, I think that the yard in the picture is the current site, which doesn't appear to have been rail connected. So I assume the van body has been shipped in from elsewhere.

G

• Like 3

On 07/02/2023 at 06:40, JustinDean said:

Thanks! If you can show me the photo I may be able to help you out.

Jay

Cheers for the offer Jay, but having finally got around to digging out the photo of the water tender at Alsop, the caption helpfully provided all the details!

I’ve now added a 1800 gallon Webb six-wheel tender to my “needed” list. Would I be right in thinking this is the type of tender usually found behind a ‘Super D’?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Cheers for the offer Jay, but having finally got around to digging out the photo of the water tender at Alsop, the caption helpfully provided all the details!

I’ve now added a 1800 gallon Webb six-wheel tender to my “needed” list. Would I be right in thinking this is the type of tender usually found behind a ‘Super D’?

I think at some point most of the C&HPR tenders will have found their way through Alsop (although I stand to be corrected) - I’ve seen photos of the 4 wheel tenders at Buxton for sure. 
They are Webb tenders on the D class -

centre wheels and axles would need to be removed and buffers added to the loco end for water tank duties. I know there’s an M&L white metal kit for this. London Road Models may do an etched brass version or maybe there’s some Bachmann RTR models floating around on EvilBay. 

Jay

Edit: For anyone skimming this thread the above information is incorrect, D Class tenders are Bowen Cooke, not Webb!

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 1

I was thinking of trying my luck fishing in the Bay of E’s, but then I wasn’t aware there was a kit…

I’m sure it’s come up before, but what was the water actually used for? I’d always assumed for the locos, but I’m sure I’ve seen reference made to the tenders only being removed from traffic to Alsop once water mains were laid.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I was thinking of trying my luck fishing in the Bay of E’s, but then I wasn’t aware there was a kit…

I’m sure it’s come up before, but what was the water actually used for? I’d always assumed for the locos, but I’m sure I’ve seen reference made to the tenders only being removed from traffic to Alsop once water mains were laid.

The water was to supply the company's tied houses and cottages along the route with a water supply as they were not on the mains.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

The water was to supply the company's tied houses and cottages along the route with a water supply as they were not on the mains.

Presumably there was some sort of method of cleaning the water / making it drinkable? I’ve seen photos of the “unloading” facilities at Middleton Top and a tank in the process of being emptied - open the taps and let it flow out between the rails!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Presumably there was some sort of method of cleaning the water / making it drinkable? I’ve seen photos of the “unloading” facilities at Middleton Top and a tank in the process of being emptied - open the taps and let it flow out between the rails!

I remember reading about how a lot of crossing keeper's houses had their drinking water delivered daily in a milk churn. What was done for other requirements I'm not sure.

Having had to sit through the usual adverts in the middle of a film the memsahib pointed out that if you believe the figures quoted, you are fourteen times more likely to die of drinking dirty water than you are to find love on eHarmony...

Which is why I don't have a "trunk" at Hattons!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

It flowed through pipe work to the reservoir opposite the enginemans cottage. I think that water was just used for locomotives. I’ve not come across any documentation regarding cleaning up for consumption but that must have happened!

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I remember reading about how a lot of crossing keeper's houses had their drinking water delivered daily in a milk churn. What was done for other requirements I'm not sure.

Having had to sit through the usual adverts in the middle of a film the memsahib pointed out that if you believe the figures quoted, you are fourteen times more likely to die of drinking dirty water than you are to find love on eHarmony...

Which is why I don't have a "trunk" at Hattons!

I met my missus on Bumble and haven’t died from dirty water. Living proof those odds are correct. 

• Friendly/supportive 2