Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold

Something to swear at on a Saturday night. 

Over at Llanyblod the 14XX is just waiting for number plates so in the meantime I broke out one of the kits I’ve stock piled. As this is a first attempt I’m going for a ‘cheap’ one first of all. 
I know the old Gem kit isn’t a patch on the LRM brass version of the Chopper and that’s just fine….it won’t matter if I totally arse this up!  
I also know it’s good practise to build the chassis first. The supplied chunk of white metal chassis will get looked at later. I also have a Branchlines chassis kit which may get used if I make I decent job of the body. 
It’s going to be small steps and a bit of time taken….

Jay

A8555294-91B8-4DF2-AE6C-F1F6C8D97CF3.jpeg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

A tiny bit of progress on the chopper in the form of a few details. I’m now waiting on handrail knobs for the boiler and smoke box. I’m hoping to pick up some wheels from Warley next weekend so probably still a few weeks away from completion. 

JayF796BA4D-5EB1-4A98-9969-CC8C9B106B53.jpeg.ab13c793beea11eea81e27a4075a51b9.jpeg

0DAB2F01-965C-4D65-A24D-67D8AC9518FB.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I’ve got a hefty shopping list ready for Warley tomorrow. Looking forward to catching up with some folk too. Anyone on here going this weekend? I haven’t seen any chatter about this particular show which surprises me. 

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Warley was a an enjoyable day with the O gauge layouts particularly catching my eye. Managed to grab lots of bits from small suppliers and a few chats with some buddies I’ve made over the last few years, like this pair of reprobates,  Dan Evason and Alan Buttler. 

Jay

BAC12557-3F98-41DA-9BD2-7053385BE643.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

Warley was a an enjoyable day with the O gauge layouts particularly catching my eye. Managed to grab lots of bits from small suppliers and a few chats with some buddies I’ve made over the last few years, like this pair of reprobates,  Dan Evason and Alan Buttler. 

Jay

BAC12557-3F98-41DA-9BD2-7053385BE643.jpeg

Glad you enjoyed it Jay. A group of us from the Exmoor Coast RM are travelling up there tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing the O gauge layouts too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Glad you enjoyed it Jay. A group of us from the Exmoor Coast RM are travelling up there tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing the O gauge layouts too.

Excellent! It’s such a massive show there’s something for everyone. 

Also the chap on the BRM stand gave me a Werthers when I told him I was a RMWeb member.  Absolutely winning at life today. 

Jay

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Glad you enjoyed the show and I hope your flexible friend didn't melt in the excitement. It would have been too much for me!

I'm worried about this 7mm "itch" though. Think you'll have to buy the house next door to get Middleton Top modelled in that scale!

Might you be going to the Manchester show jn a couple if weeks? Thinking about it, if EMR behave themselves!

G

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Middlepeak said:

Glad you enjoyed the show and I hope your flexible friend didn't melt in the excitement. It would have been too much for me!

I'm worried about this 7mm "itch" though. Think you'll have to buy the house next door to get Middleton Top modelled in that scale!

Might you be going to the Manchester show jn a couple if weeks? Thinking about it, if EMR behave themselves!

G

My flexible friend probably isn’t my friend anymore! 
I didn’t know about Manchester so thanks for the heads up - I’ll check dates and see if it slots in around work. 
Hope you’re keeping well G?

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The 7mm itch is a powerful one. 

Here’s 4mm and 7mm 3D prints of a FR brake, one of which was used on the C&HPR. The model was produced by PreGrouping Railways. The big one comes supplied with an etched brass roof while the proper sized one comes with a piece of plasticard. I do think I’ll need to replace the handrails with some brass as the ones on the model are quite flexible and not straight.  I also need to find out details on wheels used. 

Jay

25D7263B-525F-487E-B34D-F11E7BC6EDA7.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Here’s a crop of the HC Casserley photo of LMS 43216 on Hopton Incline pulling the FR brake. 
Does anyone know what the livery of this brake van would be in 1940? 

Jay

35091677-47DF-4704-B33D-9CBC34AA8509.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

The LMS only used on livery for wagons at any one time. Looks dark - bauxite?

Paul

It does look dark to me but I have an untrained eye; hence the question. 
The LMS there above the handrail is all I can confirm. 

Jay

6979D2C7-F088-47A6-8306-BF63930215A3.jpeg

• Like 2

Absolutely nothing I'm afraid Jay. A bit early for me and for most photographers I fear. By the early 1950s the Middleton brake van was often an ex-LNWR 'Crystal Palace' van. I've got a drawing for one and have found a preserved version in darkest Essex, so .......  one day!

G

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

@JustinDean have you followed the Kerr Stuart Victory class thread re: the model by Planet Industrials? (They had a stand at Warley, too!)

There is mention of placing the BR crest and loco number on the all black version being ‘similar to the ex North London Railway tanks as used on the C&HPR” (or words to that effect) and I must admit looking at the mock up that I was … intrigued…

‘Tain’t prototypical, but it is a beauty of a model … any thoughts of applying Rule #1 and acquiring such a beast for your layout?

HOURS OF FUN!

PS

I suppose I could ask the same question of @Middlepeak?!

08C7A083-4138-4417-AB40-37A490142F76.jpeg.7cd6aaf5730519ad7be18c52ce1e5e7a.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

@JustinDean have you followed the Kerr Stuart Victory class thread re: the model by Planet Industrials? (They had a stand at Warley, too!)

There is mention of placing the BR crest and loco number on the all black version being ‘similar to the ex North London Railway tanks as used on the C&HPR” (or words to that effect) and I must admit looking at the mock up that I was … intrigued…

‘Tain’t prototypical, but it is a beauty of a model … any thoughts of applying Rule #1 and acquiring such a beast for your layout?

HOURS OF FUN!

PS

I suppose I could ask the same question of @Middlepeak?!

08C7A083-4138-4417-AB40-37A490142F76.jpeg.7cd6aaf5730519ad7be18c52ce1e5e7a.jpeg

It’s a nice model of the intended prototype but a NLR class 75 it ain’t! 
The cab and coal bunker arrangement is completely different and the tanks are too short at a glance. 
If you want a NLR tank but don’t want to go down the kit building route CDC models produce a 3D print of the body and are available on eBay for a tad over £40. I’ve got one and it’s okay. 
I’ve got a stash of four kits to build up for this particular locomotive and I’ll be sticking with them. 

Cheers

Jay

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Absolutely nothing I'm afraid Jay. A bit early for me and for most photographers I fear. By the early 1950s the Middleton brake van was often an ex-LNWR 'Crystal Palace' van. I've got a drawing for one and have found a preserved version in darkest Essex, so .......  one day!

G

Thanks anyway G - I did actually find another photo of this particular train from the rear by Casserley and it appears to be grey. 
1940 is probably as early as I’ll go regarding stock. As Middleton Top didn’t change a great deal I’m thinking I can run from the 40’s through to the 60’s without raising too many eyebrows. 
I’ve chatted with a couple of kit manufacturers about the Crystal Palace brake and I doubt they’ll be anything in the future. At some point would you share the drawings? 

Thanks

Jay

Jay,

No they didn't, hence the trip to darkest Essex with camera and tape measure. First stage will be to produce a CAD drawing to work from.

Here's a couple of pictures of the preserved beast, which I believe came from some dockyard or other, which might explain the bauxite livery. I'm not taking that as gospel at this stage.

159490480_CrystalPalaceBVatMangapps.jpg.c74a5ab23db13acb1071b883458ea850.jpg

DSCN0707.JPG.d2271baab0f77f70249d31ebb5246983.JPG

If you compare that with an original LNWR photo, you'll see that the glazing panels at the open end have been removed. Sadly the pics I have of the van at Longcliffe and Friden are all taken from the closed end!

1250623159_LNWRDiag17BCrystalPalaceBV.jpg.fd332ba887cb0a36825f78be0fd6cf8e.jpg

G

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1